Hacking Smarter way of removing emuNAND from a SD Card?

punderino

aka Big-PeePee Swinger
OP
Trophies
Website
www.anus.trade
XP
Country
United States
I see mostly everyone just used the D9 format SD option. I used a partition editor, to just delete the partition from the SD card, and then re-sized the other one back to the full size. Any issue here? Greatest thing here is, you lose, NOTHING. You don't have to lose the data on the SD card <3

Davidosky99

Eevee :3
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.davidosky99.xyz
XP
Country
I see mostly everyone just used the D9 format SD option. I used a partition editor, to just delete the partition from the SD card, and then re-sized the other one back to the full size. Any issue here? Greatest thing here is, you lose, NOTHING. You don't have to lose the data on the SD card <3
Just get a partition manager like minitool or easeus, delete the emunand partition and merge the free space into the primary partition

punderino

aka Big-PeePee Swinger
OP
Trophies
Website
www.anus.trade
XP
Country
United States
Just get a partition manager like minitool or easeus, delete the emunand partition and merge the free space into the primary partition
Yeah, that's exactly what I did, I was wondering if there was a downside I missed? I don't know why we don't use that method, for me, I have a 64gb SD card, and it's usually full for my 3DS games/homebrew. I don't wanna have to back it all up a lot xD.

Davidosky99

Eevee :3
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.davidosky99.xyz
XP
Country
Yeah, that's exactly what I did, I was wondering if there was a downside I missed? I don't know why we don't use that method, for me, I have a 64gb SD card, and it's usually full for my 3DS games/homebrew. I don't wanna have to back it all up a lot xD.
Because its cleaner and more reliable to just delete the entire SD card than to remove and merge a partition

mudassirul

Trophies
XP
Country
I've had problem with merged partitions before. Just do a clean re-format unless your having some serious space limitations

punderino

aka Big-PeePee Swinger
OP
Trophies
Website
www.anus.trade
XP
Country
United States
Because its cleaner and more reliable to just delete the entire SD card than to remove and merge a partition
Is it that hard to do this through the 3DS homebrew? It might be worth it to the other people, maybe just make a separate homebrew to do it for you.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've had problem with merged partitions before. Just do a clean re-format unless your having some serious space limitations
It's not really merging, you're just deleting the one with emuNAND, and then just taking the space that is then empty.

D

Deleted User

Depends on your end goal. If you're happy with the SD as is, you can use any number of partitioning programs to merge them. If you're at some point deciding to change size/cluster size, you'll end up formatting anyway.

punderino

aka Big-PeePee Swinger
OP
Trophies
Website
www.anus.trade
XP
Country
United States
While partition editors are great, it is cleaner to reformat the entire SD card.
Fragmentationing and all.
Can't you do defragging w/out formatting?
Depends on your end goal. If you're happy with the SD as is, you can use any number of partitioning programs to merge them. If you're at some point deciding to change size/cluster size, you'll end up formatting anyway.
Yeah, but if it already works why would you change the cluster size?
EaseUS or AOMEI partition editors work perfectly for me.
Yeah, I went and used EaseUS.

Reactions: Jayro

punderino

aka Big-PeePee Swinger
OP
Trophies
Website
www.anus.trade
XP
Country
United States

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, emuNAND is useless and unneeded and a waste of space once you have a9lh.

i sorry ;~:

Let me try to be objective: emuNAND is not useless (I use it quite nicely every day), required given the advancements made possible by A9LH (no not required). Personal preference. I have no issue with the updated sysNAND community, I just can't relate to them as I am a lowly emuNAND peasant pining for crumbs.

punderino

aka Big-PeePee Swinger
OP
Trophies
Website
www.anus.trade
XP
Country
United States
Let me try to be objective: emuNAND is not useless (I use it quite nicely every day), required given the advancements made possible by A9LH (no not required). Personal preference. I have no issue with the updated sysNAND community, I just can't relate to them as I am a lowly emuNAND peasant pining for crumbs.
The only reason people used emuNAND is to avoid bricking and having all of the modifications to the systen, now that we have a9lh we no longer need to protection, as we can get into D9 without even booting sysNAND. There's no difference between the two.

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason people used emuNAND is to avoid bricking and having all of the modifications to the systen, now that we have a9lh we no longer need to protection, as we can get into D9 without even booting sysNAND. There's no difference between the two.

Not bad reasons to utilize emuNAND if I do say so myself. Until Nintendo stops updating the 3DS firm (never say never) I will take my chances with emuNAND. It is OK to use updated sysNAND and delete emuNAND, I'm just saying emuNAND seems to give more flexibility when it comes to safety. Comes down to the user and his comfort level. You got big balls and I got teeny tiny balls (but they are still balls).

punderino

aka Big-PeePee Swinger
OP
Trophies
Website
www.anus.trade
XP
Country
United States
Not bad reasons to utilize emuNAND if I do say so myself. Until Nintendo stops updating the 3DS firm (never say never) I will take my chances with emuNAND. It is OK to use updated sysNAND and delete emuNAND, I'm just saying emuNAND seems to give more flexibility when it comes to safety. Comes down to the user and his comfort level. You got big balls and I got teeny tiny balls (but they are still balls).
xDD, guess so. In that case, just because it loads faster, I'd change your 9.2 sysNAND to your emuNAND, and your 11.0 emuNAND to your sysNAND.

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Faster smashter. It's not like it's menuhax vs (updated sysNAND or emuNAND on A9LH) take your pick. For small mSD/SD owners 2 GB is alot. For users with larger mSD/SD (myself and I am assuming others) I can make that sacrifice.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
xDD, guess so. In that case, just because it loads faster, I'd change your 9.2 sysNAND to your emuNAND, and your 11.0 emuNAND to your sysNAND.
This is my exact setup. I use my 9.2U emuNAND to enter the Gateway Launcher for dumping cart saves. in .sav format.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
There are plenty of reasons to keep emuNAND, primarily to avoid bricking your sysNAND by writing corrupt files or from frying the chip (due to the excessive stress NAND backups and restores exert).

However that is outside the scope of this thread. Personally, when I want to remove emuNAND from an SD, I use Window's DiskPart to clean the disk, then recreate a primary partition.

Open diskpart.exe (letting it have admin rights), then type:
Code:
DISKPART> list disk
DISKPART> select disk X (where X is your SD; be sure to select the correct one or you will erase everything on that drive)
DISKPART> clean
DISKPART> create partition primary
You should then be able to format the SD with your choice of formatter.

[Edit]
Now that I think about it, I think emuNAND9 let you reformat your SD card without emuNAND. It would be easier to use that, assuming you have access to it. The steps I described above would work without a 3DS.

Last edited by evandixon,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    halllo
  • Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit:
    hello, anyone is able to create cheat patches for cemu? i have a simple request if anyone can help
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, she'll always love you too. :sad:
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, she'll always love you too. :sad: