slowdown with certain games

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by MaGnUmKiLLa, Sep 15, 2009.

Sep 15, 2009
  1. MaGnUmKiLLa
    OP

Member MaGnUmKiLLa GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sometimes when I play certain games *RE: Umbrella Chronicles comes to mind* anytime the game really has to load something, pretty much anytime the disc has to spin, the game will slow down. Now, I realize this sounds pretty obvious but, it's more then it should. I play an actual copy of a game on a friends wii then I play my burnt copy on my hacked wii and it's a noticeable difference. Is that just the cost of playing games like this or is it something maybe wrong with my wii or my burnt games *I burn using imgburn 3x write speed on dvd-r* Any help would be appreciated, thx.

2. damysteryman

Member damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Antarctica
    Are you using a modchip or a softmod?

Softmods (and newer flat-cable modchips, like drivekey, etc.) will only read the disc at 3x speed (as opposed to retail discs, which read at 6x speed), due to the way they work (by telling the Wii how to read them, instead of changing how the DVD Drive works). Due to this, some games may be loading slower than originals (or with a traditional, solder-in modchip).

Traditional modchips (that solder on or clip (WiiClip) onto the security chip on your Wii's DVD Drive) actually force your DVD Drive to read everything as originals, even before the Wii gets the disc's data, so they read burnt discs at the full 6x read speed.

3. MaGnUmKiLLa
    OP

Member MaGnUmKiLLa GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm softmodded so I suppose that's the issue. Well alright, I thought something could be going wrong with my wii or the way I was burning my discs. Thanks for the help.