Gaming Slow SNES emu and rechargeable batteries

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm using Snes9xTYL 0.4.2 (3.xx) on a slim and I'm having slowdowns in some SNES games: Super Turrican (very slow), Castlevania Dracula X (very slow) and Sparkster (playable with occasionally slowdowns). Is there a better SNES emu for PSP or a newer version of this I missed?

The second question is about rechargeable batteries I see on ebay with 2400mA or even over 3000mA (for PSP slim). Are these actually good? How are your experiences with these? I assume they are not made by Sony, so any known issues with them?

Thanks for your answers
grog.gif

santorix10

Trophies
Website
rememberthe8bit.googlepages.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a PSP, but here's some general ideas. (I've used this emulator on a PSP before, though.)

You may have to configure the emulator. For some games, having the transparency layer off helps immensely. Also, you could see if you can clock your PSP to 333mhz. Or, you could decrease the sound quality to 11khz.

Actually, the best solution is to just read the readme.txt file that came with the emulator, and just muck around with the options and find out what they do. It's best to turn on an FPS counter, so you'll have a numeric representative of how well it's working.

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
gbpic said:
I don't have a PSP, but here's some general ideas. (I've used this emulator on a PSP before, though.)

You may have to configure the emulator. For some games, having the transparency layer off helps immensely. Also, you could see if you can clock your PSP to 333mhz. Or, you could decrease the sound quality to 11khz.

Actually, the best solution is to just read the readme.txt file that came with the emulator, and just muck around with the options and find out what they do. It's best to turn on an FPS counter, so you'll have a numeric representative of how well it's working.

The PSP runs at 333Mhz and sound is set to 11khz. Didn't help for the mentioned games. Frameskip didn't help either. Nearly all other games run perfectly. I couldn't find a trnsparency option, where can I find it?

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
IIRC, if you press Square to load a game, no speedhacks are loaded, so make sure you use X.

If the battery isn't buy Sony (or Datel...), don't buy it. Pretty much every one is a fake which will have minutes of battery life.

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
myuusmeow said:
IIRC, if you press Square to load a game, no speedhacks are loaded, so make sure you use X

That didn't help. What I like to know is am I using the best SNES emulator for the PSP and its latest version?

SargeSmash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That emulator is almost your only option. It's probably the best one out there, although it's still got issues with some games.

Personally, I found my issue with SNES emulation last night, thanks to DanTheManMS in another thread. I didn't realize that CWCheat interfered so badly with SNES emulation, but as soon as I disabled it, I get MUCH better results. Granted, a lot of games still frameskip, but at least they hold a virtual 60fps.

I haven't tried Dracula X in a while, I'm not sure if there's any improvements that can be made. I know there is a speedhack for the game, but when you load, does it say speedhacks are being applied? If not, then you may want to get a different ROM.

Now, to do one of the things I bought the PSP for: Play through Seiken Densetsu 3.
smile.gif

GbaDoctor

GbaTemp MaD fOrGeD DoCtOr
Trophies
Website
gbadoctor.spaces.live.com
XP
Country
Italy
Be sure to setup the emulator in this way:

CPU clock: 333mhz
Hack Debug menu: Disable Transparencies
Frameskip: 1 (althought in most of the cases aint needed)
Sound: Leave it 44100
Rendering Engine: Accurate (THIS is what slows the emulator alot. So hold down L and Press Select to change it in real time, so you can see what engine suits best. Check key configuration menu to see the hotkey in case it doesnt work L+Select...)

I run alot of games fullspeed with some tweaks. Also, using speedhacks sometimes leads to some choppines, so try to load with and without them.

BTW: if you run a 3.xx kernel, i would consider to install DA's Time machine. In this way you can use the Snes9xTyl 4.2.0 ME for kernel 1.50 which is the best around.

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks GbaDoctor, the Rendering option helps a lot. Super Turrican now even runs a little too fast with frameskip=1. Any trick for that?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night