Slow-downs and freezes

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by smokey_teh_behr, Jun 15, 2008.

Jun 15, 2008

Slow-downs and freezes by smokey_teh_behr at 10:11 PM (1,490 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. smokey_teh_behr
    OP

Newcomer smokey_teh_behr Member

Canada
    I just got my ez5 card and pretty much(except for rogue agent and COD 4 for now...) all the roms i tried freeze at one point or another. I tried both a kingston 1gb and a sandisk 2gb but theyre all freezy. i tried trimming using tokyo trim also but same deal [​IMG] i tried clean roms from 3roms but still to no avail. its my first flash card maybe im doing something wrong?also what is the soft reset for EZ5?

Thanks for your help,Smokey

2. Spaceman016

Newcomer Spaceman016 Advanced Member

United States
    Hello Smokey_teh_behr

I can help you with this problem but am at work right now.
    I will get back you in 4hours
    Can you please confirm that you have purchased the EZ-Flash V NYE meaning (New Year Edition)
    It would have come in a blue box

Have a look around the USA ezflash V forums and try find a link to kernel/loader 1.58Beta

regards
    ps. I had the same problem with my NYE ez-flash V card and have found a solution (it requires
    you running your rom in cleanmode + all saves work).

Will get back to you soon

3. smokey_teh_behr
    OP

Canada
    Yes it did come in a blue box, its the 3 in 1 and ezflash combo i am also busy so i will check the kernel later.

thank you.

4. Spaceman016

United States
    Ok back again

I have discussed this issue regarding the NYE with various people and we have suspicions its caused by quote thread from Mbmax on usa ezflash forums

"The only kernel that runs fine on their EZ5 NYE is kernel 1.41 and clean mode. I'm pretty sure it's a hardware failure and my guess is a problem with sram part on the Renesas LSIs M6MGB331/S8KT component.
    Can you test this kernel to see if it's better for you than 1.41 ?
    Kernel 1.5Beta ez5sys.bin compliant . Last mosqto's save list is HERE (thanks to him).
    If a game doesn't have the right save size just touch the field and it will change.
    This kernel modify itself the ezsave.lst so modification stay. [​IMG]
    As far as i know those old kernels needs for time to time to check your microSD on the PC to avoid FAT corruption and lost chains.
    So just do this command :
    CHKDSK X: /F where X: is the letter of your microSD card PC reader."

Thnx Mbmax for the above post

Ok so since this is your only ez-flash card and you are new to it
    1.download the kernel 1.5B into the root directory of your SD card
    2.now put it into your DS boot it up and hold R while selecting the EZ-Flash V card (This will update the loader to 1.5Beta.
    3.ok so now that your loader is updated you can delete the ez5upldr file if you want.
    4.to get a current list of save formats for ds games use the HERE link above to download the .lst files for saves. You can copy this to your shell folder on your SD card now for most up to date games.

All your software is ready to go but because the card we have is the NYE >< edition we have to run
    our games in CLEAN mode (this will stop your freezing of games in hybrid mode).
    Load the EZ-Flash card now using the touch screen select the settings box under the magnifying glass
    should have some options here
    select english
    select MicroSD Speed set 3-4-5-6 test to see how fast your card can run (mine is on 3) 1 being fastest
    Leave Speed auto detect NOT checked
    and mode to CLEAN checked

Try run a nds now and let us know how it goes

5. Spaceman016

United States
    Now that should stop your games from freezing and your games should save fine also
    It is an older version but it is the best you will find with your card
    If you are annoyed you have receieved a faulty manufactured card you can try return it or try to get
    a replacement

Also you mentioned that you did buy this in a bundle pack for the gba/expansion/rumble 3-in-1 ezflas V
    Now because this kernel above is a bit older you will have to patch your GBAexploader with DLDI yourself and any other homebrew programs.
    With the tool below simply drag your gbaexploader.nds file onto the DLDIfixV.exe file and should patch automatically

The EZ5 menu won't boot a ROM in homebrew mode unless the gamecode is "PASS". Cory1942 has written a tool to fix the header and patch the ROM at the same time. Get it from his site HERE.

Hmmmm hope I have mentioned everything

6. Spaceman016

United States
    I do know this is not the ideal solution but it is better than nothing
    and it does work

Awaiting your reply
    regards

7. smokey_teh_behr
    OP

Canada
    ok well i need to get to a computer with an SD slot first ( i use a friends) but i would like to know, is this a hardware failure and if i get a new one will it be better or is it for every EZflash?

Thank you very much,Smokey.

8. Spaceman016

United States
    I believe it is a manufacturing fault with some NYE versions of the card
    Not all NYE ezflash V cards only some have this problem.
    Theres no guarentee that if you get another replacement NYE it wont have this problem.

Id request an ez-flash V plus instead

9. smokey_teh_behr
    OP

Canada
    yes thats what i will try to do tomorrow.

10. Saylient_Dreams

Member Saylient_Dreams GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You can probably get more help at http://ezflash.sosuke.com, if you didn't already post there. The NYE versions are totally bugged from what I understand, that's one of the main reasons that Ez-Team is developing a major updated kernel. It might be in your interest to test out the latest open beta (I think its 15, also the second rc (release canidate)).
    NYE seems to be the culprit with its hardware, not exactly sure, but it hasn't faired well since it's release, where the first EzVs worked pretty flawlessly out of the box after 1.41 kernel. Probably should do what Spaceman016 suggested and ask for the newer EzV+