slow down when using emulators

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by MaGnUmKiLLa, Jul 30, 2009.

Jul 30, 2009
  1. MaGnUmKiLLa
    OP

Member MaGnUmKiLLa GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Does anyone else experience slowdown issues *I guess framerate drops* when they're using the emulators? I would expect this with the 64 emulator but I'm referring to the nes and gameboy emulators. If anyone has had these problems, do you know of any way of fixing them?

2. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    Check the compatibility of that ROM, some ROM's slow down alot when being emulated.

3. MaGnUmKiLLa
    OP

United States
    How do I go about doing that? I thought a rom was a rom, I have no idea how to check it one is better then another.

4. Sonicandtails

Member Sonicandtails GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It sounds like it's actually the game itself lagging, which is very probable considering that many NES and GBX games lagged with even a small amount of action going on. But yes, tell us the games you are having trouble with and we can help better.

5. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    There are many compatibility lists out there for ROMs of all sorts, just try googling around and you can be surprised by what you find

6. Sonicandtails

United States
    He's talking about FCEUltra and VBA, which have near perfect compatibility with all regular mappers/commercial roms (Despite FCEU being quite a hackish emulator, not very true to the original systems quirks and whatnot. Tis a shame we'll never see Nestopia on a Wii due to the power needed for it).

7. MaGnUmKiLLa
    OP

United States
    Well, I've only tried a couple but, out of the handful I've tried I've already found a couple that lag. Duck Tales for the NES was one of them and Castlevania Adventures for the GB was another.

8. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    Oh whoops sorry lol. Anyway back to the OP, how big is your SD card? And how full is it? That might be contributing to your problem.

9. warbird

Member warbird GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Some games had slowdowns when running on their original systems. In these cases, they will have slowdowns when emulated too.

10. Sonicandtails

United States
    A quick lookup shows that Castlevania on GB was quite laggy, and I played Duck Tales recently and I believe it was laggy as well. That's just how they ran on the original system. You won't be doing anything to speed them up in an emulator.

11. MaGnUmKiLLa
    OP

United States
    That could definitely be the case. I played a couple of other games *Silver Surfer, Golgo 13, North and South* and they seemed to work fine. Thanks for the help guys, if you figure anything else out let me know. To answer that one dude's question, I'm using a 2gig sandisk sd card. I've got quite a few files on it *every nes game* so I suppose that coul dbe a problem maybe

12. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    Yeah, try lightening the load off your SD card and see if that makes any difference [​IMG]