Slot-2 wanted, but which?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Lurick, Mar 8, 2007.

Mar 8, 2007

Slot-2 wanted, but which? by Lurick at 7:06 AM (2,177 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Lurick
    OP

Newcomer Lurick Advanced Member

United States
    Yes, I know ... another one of these threads. I'm very sorry for adding to them, but I truly could use some advice. I've got an R4, and would like a slot-2 cart to go with it. In order of importance, I'd like this "companion" card to have:

1) Excellent homebrew compatability (emulators!)

2) Good GBA support

3) Price

4) Overall performance with ROMs, upgradeable memory (meaning microSD, probably), etc.

This doesn't necessarily mean that in order to get the absolute best Homebrew-capable card, I'd be willing to put everything else below it aside. Rather, I'm actually looking for something that's somewhat well-rounded in all of those categories, with a strong emphasis on Homebrew compatability in ADDITION to at-least-decent GBA support.. At the very least, I'd like something on which nesDS saves.

One thing I'm not really concerned about at all is actual NDS ROM support, as I've got an R4 (absolutely excellent for that purpose) already. Also, any sort of "bundle" deal with a passcard, microSD card/readers, etc. are unnecessary for the same reason.

I've done quite a bit of research on the subject, and I'm leaning towards an M3 Lite. I'd really like to ask for common opinion first, however -- I almost ended up with a DS Xtreme last time, without consulting the forums first! Also, I'm not quite sure of the "difference" between certain M3 versions (adapter, perfect, pro, etc).

What would go well with my R4, that has both GREAT Homebrew support, and pretty good GBA (preferably with NON-integrated memory)?

2. cornaljoe

Member cornaljoe GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It boils down to 3 carts: M3 Lite, Supercard Lite, and EZ4 Deluxe. If GBA is really important then kick out the Supercard Lite. Which leaves M3L vs EZ4D. To me it came down to the price. M3L ~ $70 and EZ4D ~ $40. The M3L features don't make up for the $30 difference IMO.

They both take microSD but the EZ4D also has 48MBytes or 384Mbits of internal memory currently used to store multiple GBA games that load instantly. M3L has slightly better homebrew support, but with DLDI now released that won't be a problem as most developers are updating their homebrew to support it. And yes nesDS saves on the EZ4D you have to visit the EZFlash forums to get a hold of it.

I'll say if you want the most bang for your buck get the EZ4D. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

3. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    The EZ4D gets another vote for me even though I'm an M3L supporter [​IMG]

It seems to fit your needs most. Maybe someone is selling one in the WTS section? I cant seem to recall any vendors who have it, and frankly, I havent even checked, thats your job buddy [​IMG]

4. cklinh

Newcomer cklinh Member

United States
    Just curious as to why the supercard lite was crossed off the list? I read a review that said GBA games work?

5. Monkey01

Member Monkey01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    +++++ = max
    EZ-Flash IV Deluxe
    Homebrew Compat: ++ (Doesn't add to much to ds homebrew compatibility from R4 I believe)
    GBA Support: ++++ (Pokémon games don't have a real time clock, other from that it's perfect)
    Price: ++++ (For a GBA supporting Slot2 cartridge, it's pretty cheap)

EZ-Flash IV Compact
    Homebrew Compat: ++
    GBA Support: ++ (Only small games)
    Price: +++++

M3 Lite Perfect
    Homebrew Compat: ++++ (Even supports most RAM using homebrew)
    GBA Support: ++++ (Has a real time clock, no perfect compatibility though, but nearly...)
    Price: + (It's comparably expensive)

M3 Lite Perfect Professional
    Homebrew Compat: ++ (Missing RAM)
    GBA Support: + (Only small games, even more limited then the EZ-Flash Compact)
    Price: +++ (It's somewhat cheaper, but still more expensive then a EZ with GBA compat)

Supercard
    Homebrew Compat: +++++ (Most homebrew is made for Supercard)
    GBA Support: + (Many graphical glitches, slowdowns and incompatibilities)
    Price: ++++

Supercard Rumble
    Homebrew Compat: +++ (Missing RAM)
    GBA Support: - (No GBA Support at all.)
    Price: +++++

So it's either M3 Lite Perfect (not pro) or EZ-Flash IV Deluxe, where M3 Lite is more expensive, but gives you a RTC for pokémon and supports RAM using by homebrew and for the Opera patch.

6. dbgtdob

Member dbgtdob GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    if you want to use the opera browser that cross ez flash iv off the list, they have not releasesd the data for their sram so no one can make a hack for it, but the M3 you can browse the internet, that being said, if you dont care about browsing the internet and you are strapped for cash then get the ez flash iv.

7. Lurick
    OP

Newcomer Lurick Advanced Member

United States
    Thanks a lot, guys ... I appreciate your input. You were seriously making me consider an EZ IV Deluxe, but after Monkey01's side-by-side comparison (which basically encompasses my original thinking on the subject), I think I'm probably going to go with my initial instinct on the matter ... in other words, grit my teeth, and shell out the big bucks for an M3 Lite.

Homebrew isn't the be-all end-all in my decision, here, but it is more important to me than GBA support, which rules out (in my mind, at least) the EZ4D. Then again, I do want DECENT GBA, which crosses Supercard off the list. In spite of the hefty price, M3 just seems to be the most well-rounded to me.

Also, as Shinji said, it'll probably be easier for me to find an M3 Lite. [​IMG]

One quick question, though; the Perfect Professional actually seems to be worse than the simple M3 Lite Perfect. Is this the case? Why would it have a positive-sounding suffix?

8. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    It's just marketing BS. The Pro is the cheap version (only plays the smallest GBA games), the Perfect is the good version (expensive).

9. cornaljoe

United States
    I'll have to disagree with Monkey01 homebrew rating of the EZ4. It deserves a +++. Most homebrew work you just have to append a GBA header to ".nds" to make it ".ds.gba". But now most developers are including it in the download. It's not too hard to find they have them at Winsunx, HopeBuy, and BambooGaming.

10. dbgtdob

United States
    dont forget you need to change .nds homebrew to .bin, to get them to work, for example if you wanted to run flash me, you would need to change flashme.nds to flashme.bin, or if you wanted to use chrism new nitro hax program you need to change nitro hax.nds to nitro hax.bin idk why you need to do it, its the only flash cart with that strange problem i think.

11. lolsjoel

Member lolsjoel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If you're interested, I'll sell you my Supercard for cheap.

12. cornaljoe

United States
    Here's a link to the EZ4 Wiki on homebrew. It will confirm what I said. Also the G6 uses this format, the Supercard uses this format but slightly modified version ".sc.nds". After getting the ".ds.gba" file you can(it's not manditory) rename it to ".bin" and it will still run.

13. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Unfortunately, there is no "ultimate" method of playing commercial GBA games with any traditional handheld. The closest one could get in speed/compatibility is to run an emulator like VisualBoyAdvance or No$GBA on a laptop or that new UMPC line.

Myself... I have a Supercard CF and a PSP capable of running the quite good gpSP emulator. I can tell you Metroid Fusion and Pokemon Emerald save correctly using the emulator for PSP, but do not save at all on my Supercard.

As for linking the Gamecube to Supercard, compatibility is on a game-by-game basis. Mario Golf Toadstool Tour and Mario Golf Advance Tour connected fine.

It's more complicated with Pokemon games, I would have to make a graphical chart showing which combinations worked since it is very complex.

So, I would suggest using the emulator on PSP for single player use (same as running GBA games in a DS is). Or the Supercard if you need support for multiplayer. I haven't used any other slot1 or slot2 game-playing devices to know about them. Well, I am using a Passcard 3 in slot-1 to make DS games work however.

14. Monkey01

Member Monkey01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Hmmyeah well, it depends on what you count ++ and what +++, it's just 2 ++ because I believe it doesn't add to much homebrew compatibility in comparison to the R4 which he already has, that's what the ratings are mostly based on, or can you name a few interesting ds homebrew things that work on EZ4 and won't on R4?

15. dbgtdob

United States
    yes and with it the R4 will be able to use dipstar and play gba roms.

16. captain^k

Member captain^k GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
  17. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    It could lead to a patch that would allow the browser to use the 3-in-1 from any slot 1 cart.