Slot- 2 homebrew

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by campbell00, Nov 15, 2007.

Nov 15, 2007

Slot- 2 homebrew by campbell00 at 10:47 PM (1,036 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. campbell00
    OP

Member campbell00 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Okay, so i just bought an EZ 3-1 to complement my m3, and i was wondering:
    What are some notable emulators or homebrew that:
    1)can only run on the gba
    2)Utilize the ram expansion

Thanks

2. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    In some cases Goomba [Color] is better than Lameboy.
    HereticDS only works with slot-2s. (flash to NOR and then in r4/m3 menu press boot slot-2)
    QuakeDS for mods and stuff.
    DSLinux uses RAM.

...you'll probably use it more for GBA roms. [​IMG]

3. campbell00
    OP

United States
    well, im trying to run goomba color, but im not sure what to do. I tried following the instructions, but im not sure if its possible to run goomba color on an m3 and EZ 3-1

4. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I've run Goomba on my 3-in-1 just fine, just pick your ROMs and compile the .gba file, and put it on your slot-1.

5. campbell00
    OP

United States
    well, i put a goomba.gba file in my slot one card after compiling, but i cant get to the game. I acn press R+L to get to an options screen, but i cant do anything else

6. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    There are very few GBA programs that can talk to your card's filesystem. Much more common are GBA programs with built-in filesystems. In addition to the goomba.gba emulator core, you will need the Goomba frontend to add games to it to produce a single large *.gba file containing all of your games. This will need to be 32 MB in size or less to run from NOR or 16 MB or less to run from the 3in1's RAM.

Instructions:
    1. Grab the Alpha 6 package from http://www.pocketheaven.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3280 which includes the emulator core and builder application
    2. Grab the updated goomba.gba emulator core from http://www.dwedit.org/dwedit_board/viewtopic.php?id=229 and use it to overwrite the old one in the previously downloaded folder.
    3. Follow the instructions at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/Goomba to create your compilation. Do not save it as "goomba.gba" or you'll overwrite the emulator core. Save it as something different like "GBCgames.gba" or something like that
    4. Copy it to your microSD card and launch it like a regular GBA game.

EDIT: as for the original question, I've heard that PCE emulation is really only available on the GBA, while SMS emulation is a tossup between the DS and GBA emulators.

PocketNES has received some fixes for specific games that NES DS has not been updated to include.

Herg's Solitaire is an amazing compilation of many different card games and is only available on the GBA. I'm not sure if anything of the same caliber exists for the DS, but I haven't really looked into it. Perhaps Puzzle Maniak includes games like that.

SNEmulDS should be able to utilize the 3in1's RAM, so see if that helps playability at all.

7. Nero

Member Nero GBAtemp RPG Maniac

United States
    Yeah, PCEngine emulation is only for the GBA.

Look up PCEAdvance if you're interested.

~Nero