Slot 2 Cart for pure GBA gaming (methinks G6 lite :D)

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by XtremeGamer-Newb, May 26, 2009.

1. XtremeGamer-Newb
    OP

Newcomer XtremeGamer-Newb Newbie

United States
    (I've put this bit (below) in because of the countless n00bs who just post random requests without ANY background info or even the precise definitions of what they want. I really do feel sorry for the Mods, Supervisors and experienced GBAtemp users who have to put in so much effort to get info such as background stuff which should be in any n00bs sig or first post in their topic. I mean how do you respond if someone comes up to you and asks, "What's the best Slot 1 cart?"? FOR WHAT? FOR B***DY WHAT?)

[​IMG]

Hopefully the Mods can understand my feelings ( [​IMG])

My kit

NDSlite. (magneta screen and it's a DSlite so it has to be V5 firmware, anyway it's not flashed and not planned to be either)

My trusty R4 with the V1.8 system update. (I love how responsive the soft reset is, compared to.....let's say the Cyclo Evolution, it's twice as quick at going back to the main menu)

I'm going to be booting my Slot 2 cart from the R4 interface! I've checked the review of the R4DS and found that it supports most, if not all Slot 2 carts which is a relief! [​IMG]

What I want

I'm not an intense fan of homebrew or browsing the internet on my DS either and so I'm not really bothered about the lack of homebrew support.

I just want any GBA game to run on it as well as stable saving in which it actually stores stuff straight to the cart.

Flush fit in the DSlite (no tight fits or sticking out 0.8mm like the EZflash VI lite does)

Guides and FAQs (so support and help in general)

White casing (isn't this default?)

Am I right in saying that you can put in any old emulate-able game such as something from the SNES collection straight to the cart and then it can play just like that, or do I need to undergo some patching or run some emulator?

I also want to know roughly how many games *cough R0Ms cough* I could fit on a 4Megabit cart. I'm guessing around 80? That probably means that I don't need expandable memory right? Completing 80 games to 100% without cheats (my habit and username [​IMG]) can take some time can't it?

(Mods, I did not write the explicit word there, I just wrote r0m [​IMG] )

I think that I've answered my own question, but are there any issues or things like what I might be missing out on before attempting to buy a G6 lite?
    Also where are the good places to get the G6 lite in the UK? (I just have a friend over there and the whole PayPal and internet shopping is safer over there. I've also found that there're hardly any fakes there.....or so they say)

Thanks in advance! Hopefully I can [​IMG] on my [​IMG] !

PS. I really hate n00bs, especially the lazy ones (well most are anyway) who can't be asked to research their own stuff and expect everyone else to spoon feed them with anything and everything they want to know.

PPS. I've never understood the RTC (real time clock thing....). Can anyone help me here?

2. omgmog

Newcomer omgmog Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    For what you want, the EzFlash 3in1 is good enough. It works perfectly as a GBA flash card, and you can flash the games to it from your R4, using the GBAExploader software.

You can get the GBAExploader software from the download section on gbatemp, or directly from rudolph - http://kotei.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2008-12-21

You can get the 3in1 from dealextreme for about $18 (or £10 in gbp), and their shipping is free. - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2967

3. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    The G6 is sold out again. That just makes you a day late.

You can use gba exploader with the 3in1 just fine.

If you got the cash you can get this:
    http://www.ishopvideogame.com/m3-perfect-lite-p-1610.html

RTC is for time based games like pokemon, where time is a factor in the game events like how long you had a pokemon will determine if it evolves or not etc. Time still ticks even if you don't have the game played in a while. In flashcarts without RTC, the clock just doesn't move unless you patch the game to ignore it when it is on.

4. XtremeGamer-Newb
    OP

United States
    I really want a white casing though.... [​IMG]

5. raing3

Member raing3 CNET_Richard

Australia
    It comes with a white casing.

6. XtremeGamer-Newb
    OP

United States
    Wow, talk about bad timing..............

I meant that the 3in1 doesn't come in white. Ah well..

I think I'll settle for the 3in1 but firstly I need to know how and where and what format it saves as. Also, I gather that I don't have to boot to Slot2 from my R4 if I've got the GBAloader?

Am I right in saying that GBA games are transfered from the R4 to the 3in1 and from there you can boot/run them? I'm then assuming that there must be some sort of soft reset function?

Thanks again! I really appreciate your help here!

PS. Can that site be trusted as of 2009? I've heard that there have been some bad shipments and so on....

7. raing3

Australia
  8. omgmog

Newcomer omgmog Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    You can flash games to the 3in1 in two ways:

PSRAM - Games flashed to the PSRAM will only remain flashed until you turn off the DS, this is good for trying out games smaller than 16megabytes.

NOR - Games flashed to the NOR memory will remain flashed until you wipe the NOR and flash a new game, this is good if you want to play games without requiring your slot-1 card in the DS. This is also the only way to play games larger than 16megabytes.

With both modes GBAExploader will prompt you to dump/write the current SRAM save to a .sav file on your slot-1 card before you write a new game to it. They both also support loading a .sav file from the slot-1 card to SRAM. .sav files are stored in a folder on your slot-1 card and named based on the slot you saved them to, and the game that they correspond to.

9. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Correct on the first part, not on the second. There's no way to soft-reset from GBA mode to DS mode with any device, so you'll have to physically press the power button to get back to the R4 menu. It's not that big a deal, since the GBA and DS are both meant to be turned off at any time (except when saving).

10. raing3

Australia
    What is the load speed of games on the M3 Lite Perfect? I'm thinking of getting one and assuming its faster and won't have to flash the game to NOR/PSRAM so hopefully it will be much faster, just wondering.

11. WigWrm

Member WigWrm GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Its pretty fast loading wise. It writes the rom to a temp memory "PSRAM maybe.."
    I play mother 3 everyonce in a while and it loads around 5-7 seconds. Thats a 32meg rom
    so thats about the longest loading time you can expect. Everytime you load a game its
    written to the psram. It's usually quick though and doesn't deter or upset one from wanting
    to play their games.

12. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    4Megabits can store 80 games? What compressor are you using? [​IMG]

13. raing3

Australia
    Great. I'm sick of waiting for games to flash to the EZ-Flash 3in1 which takes far longer than that. Now I just need some money cause it's so bloody expensive. [​IMG]

14. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Loading times for the M3 Lite will be pretty much the same as loading a game to the 3in1's PSRAM (not the 3in1's NOR).