Hacking Slot 1 vs Slot 2

R0YB0T

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the advantages of a Slot 1 card?
I know that Slot 2 devices play GBA and DS games, why would someone use a Slot 1 device?

AeroZeppelin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slot 1 doesn't need passcard, are generally cheaper, usually has better compatibility with no patching, and doesn't stick out.

2cb2ct7

Trophies
XP
Country
Slot1 devices are generally (always?) able to boot clean roms, that means no patching before writing to the flash device as is the case with slot2 devices. Although most patching is quick and easy in theory this is not always true in practice and often many patch settings have to be tried for some games.

I have both an R4DS and a G6Lite. The battery life is about twice as long with DS backups on the R4 compared to the G6. Also, being able to "drag n drop" files directly onto the R4's microSD card saves a lot of time.

That said, I still like to occasionally play my old GBA games without having to carry around a second handheld console so I use the G6 to play my GBA backups, as well as using it for homebrew.

It really depends on what you are after. If you just want to play DS backups, I'd recommend an R4DS or M3 simply. If you want to play a lot of GBA backups I'd get a G6Lite, M3Lite or SupercardLite instead of (or as well as!) the R4 or M3 simply.

Hope that helps!

R0YB0T

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the informative replies guys.

2cb2ct7, Does your R4DS work perfectly as a passcard for the G6?
I myself own a R4DS.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slot1 devices are generally (always?) able to boot clean roms, that means no patching before writing to the flash device as is the case with slot2 devices. Although most patching is quick and easy in theory this is not always true in practice and often many patch settings have to be tried for some games.

Sorry but I don't believe thats quite right I think all current Slot1 devices require the games to be patched, its just that the slot-1 cards patch the games as they are copying them to the card, so they cannot boot clean roms.

mcbey

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Its not while there being copied to the card, its when theyre being read from it. Like when you sellect the rom, and it loads, the card itself has to patch the game on the fly, so it knows where to Read the ROM info from, and how to correctly save. The cards support cleen ROMs, but just runs in the background to correctly "emulate" and tell the rom its a real cartridge.

gr33dy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Most current slot-2 carts do not stick out.
A lot of them still don't sit as flush as the original DS lite filler cartridge and don't have the glossy look.
Your statement is very misleading for those that are interested in purchasing a Slot-2 solution. I own two G6 Lite's and I can assure you they sit flush. My friend owns a Supercard Lite, and it is considered by most to be "flush." However, it does stick out SLIGHTLY; the average person probably would not notice unless it was pointed out to them. As far as the M3 Lite is concerned, the GBATemp review and every other report I have read, claim that the M3 Lite is truly flush like the G6. Go take a look at the pictures.

(Also, the G6 Lite has a glossy finish like the dust cover.)

Do you actually own any Slot-2 Carts?

AeroZeppelin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your statement is very misleading for those that are interested in purchasing a Slot-2 solution. I own two G6 Lite's and I can assure you they sit flush. My friend owns a Supercard Lite, and it is considered by most to be "flush." However, it does stick out SLIGHTLY; the average person probably would not notice unless it was pointed out to them. As far as the M3 Lite is concerned, the GBATemp review and every other report I have read, claim that the M3 Lite is truly flush like the G6. Go take a look at the pictures.Â

(Also, the G6 Lite has a glossy finish like the dust cover.)Â

Do you actually own any Slot-2 Carts?
Your statement is also very misleading. Last time I checked, M3 Lite and G6 Lite aren't the only slot-2 devices out there. What about the EZ flash, Ewin, and all the other slot-2 devices that don't use microSD? Yes, the M3 lite and G6 lite are exceptions to it, but the others aren't.

Vidikron

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Your statement is also very misleading. Last time I checked, M3 Lite and G6 Lite aren't the only slot-2 devices out there. What about the EZ flash, Ewin, and all the other slot-2 devices that don't use microSD? Yes, the M3 lite and G6 lite are exceptions to it, but the others aren't.

No, it's not. He named the devices that he knew were flush (which also happen to be the most popular slot-2 devices). Your original statement made it sound like all slot-2s stick out.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country

I have both an R4DS and a G6Lite. The battery life is about twice as long with DS backups on the R4 compared to the G6. Also, being able to "drag n drop" files directly onto the R4's microSD card saves a lot of time.

That said, I still like to occasionally play my old GBA games without having to carry around a second handheld console so I use the G6 to play my GBA backups, as well as using it for homebrew.

It really depends on what you are after. If you just want to play DS backups, I'd recommend an R4DS or M3 simply. If you want to play a lot of GBA backups I'd get a G6Lite, M3Lite or SupercardLite instead of (or as well as!) the R4 or M3 simply.

Hope that helps!

actually it's a bad ideas to recommend supercard for gba, because its gba compatability is apparantly terrible.

The best option for gba has always been ezflash's products.

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
I use both M3 Lite and R4 DS and a single microSD.

I use R4DS for:

- playing NDS games (better battery life, no patching needed)
- running most of the homebrew
- multimedia

I use M3 Lite for:

- DSLinux (Seriously, download and unzip the brand new ROM through DSLinux and stick the microSD in R4 - no PC needed. How cool is that?)
- GBA games (clean GBA support, ahoy!)

And finally, I use both for Nintendo DS Browser, which, despite it's slowness and general limitations, can still be quite an useful piece of software.
The only thing I want now is that M3 makes a unified firmware, so both devices can be used at the same time. But that's not really an issue.

But if I could really use one device only, it'd be R4 DS. It's neat and in short: rocks.

AeroZeppelin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it's not. He named the devices that he knew were flush (which also happen to be the most popular slot-2 devices). Your original statement made it sound like all slot-2s stick out.

Funny thing is his statement sounds like all slot-2's are completely flush. There are a ton of other slot-2 devices that stick out, buddy.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh for crying out loud get over yourselves already. Who cares who said what, the fact is that there are a range of slot 2 cards especially designed to fit in the Lite, as well as older ones designed to fit in the GBA and NDS that will stick out of a Lite. Your pathetic little argument isn't helping this thread at all, shut up and move on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: HBD 2U