Hacking Slot-1 socket for custom card dumper

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 909
  • Replies 2
D

Deleted User

OP
I'm looking to build a custom [save] dumping device using a microcontroller, and I already have a decent understanding of the software side of things and how to implement it, but the one thing I can't find is a suitable socket to actually read cards.
Ideally it would be a through-hole soldered variety as used on the NDS Adapter Plus, instead of the surface-mount type as used in actual consoles.
I imagine it would be fairly easy to buy something suitable in bulk from some obscure Chinese company, but I will only ever need one of them. Any idea where I could buy one (or a reasonably small quantity) of these?

PS:I know this isn't really related to flash carts at all, nor is it really suited to this community as a whole, but I'm hoping someone here might have an answer. If not, feel free to redirect me to the right place.

EDIT:
[Mostly copied from comment]
After looking more into how ROM dumping works, I realised it wouldn't be practical as a side project like I intended, but I now think I may still try for a save dumper. I may alternatively build a standalone device with a simple input panel to write saves to/from an external USB storage device for backups, or micro SD card for direct use in flashcarts.

Last edited by ,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not the same guy as http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,22819.0.html are you? I covered a few edge cases in that you might wish to account for with your device.

Back on topic most things you will find are just replacements. I am not aware of anybody that did otherwise and sold it, or even a breakout board you might use to adapt the surface mount stuff. Generally in games connectors and the like then there are no breakouts, debug bridges and similar such things and https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9281 is about as good as it gets, and I have actually given very serious thought about making a company to do connectors for this sort of thing.

An option you have is find one of those blaze 3 in 1 game selectors. I used to pick them up for next to nothing but they have gone up in price whenever I have gone looking. That said you are lucky today and Amazon has a bunch for a fiver https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blaze-Lite-Game-Selector-Nintendo/dp/B001W6Q78U I mainly only wanted to play with my scope (makes a nice teaching exercise rather than another speaker and another function generator) and the save pins should I have been doing something more practical but the theory is the same.

Alternatively you might make some flash cart seller's day and ask to buy some of their old passme devices if they still have any. Some of those might well have something like what you are looking for. http://www.shop01media.com/index.php?route=product/product&search=ezpass&product_id=1904 being an example of a good site with such a thing (based in Sweden, in good standing as far as I know). I have not got an EZPass2 here to pull apart to see if it is through hole but I might have a 1 somewhere and it as basically identical. An added bonus if you are electrically inclined is that is a programmable chip on the thing already (if memory serves it is a CPLD) and a port for it; the EZPass2 is the EZTeam's implementation of the passme2 that needed custom flashing for a specific game (if you were curious http://pineight.com/ds/pass/ covers the basics here and for the more advanced stuff http://dspassme.jzdocs.com/docs/html/pm_01_requirements.html , alas the homebrew ones seem to use jumpers where the commercial ones sort of had something that was through hole).

Hope you get it done. I can't really think of anywhere else I can point you that is more likely to point you at something you can buy.

D

Deleted User

OP
Nope I'm not that guy, but I will consider those points. I removed my post last night after looking more into how ROM dumping works and realised it wouldn't be practical as a side project, but I now think I may still try for a save dumper. I'm going for something very similar to what that guy wants (but for save files instead of ROMs), i.e. USB mass storage device. I may alternatively build a standalone device with a simple input panel to write saves to/from an external USB storage device, or micro SD card for direct use in flash carts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a picteof not updating just tell them don't update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...