Hacking Slot-1 SC with Opera, GBA, media, etc.

ateam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
backdrifts.net
XP
Country
United States
The SC team announced a while back, along with a few other flash cart companies, that they will be releasing a slot-1 device. Because of the recent breakthrough with Opera (see http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=39137), I think a slot-1 card is definitely in my future.

I currently own an SClite, which I use to play DS, GBA, and NES ROMs, along with homebrew applications. Now and then I use Moonshell to watch videos, though not often. When Opera was finally released in Europe, I imported it through Play-Asia. In school, I find it very useful for browsing the web when I'm bored, since my laptop no longer works. I also use it at work during my break, since the mall has a wireless AP.

I don't mind Opera's lack of speed, though I DO mind having to swap my SClite for my RAM expansion pack every time I want to use it, especially since it takes a bit of force to get the SClite out of slot-2. I leave the slot-1 Opera cartridge in my DS at all times, since it allows me to put my console into sleep mode.

When I get a slot-1 flash cart, I will no longer have to carry the slot-1 or slot-2 Opera cartridges with me anymore! Instead I can run Triforce's hacked ROM and use the SClite I already have for the required RAM. In addition to providing the memory I need for Opera, leaving the SClite in my console will also allow me to continue to play GBA games, something I'm sure the slot-1 SC will not be able to do. Furthermore, I will be able to designate my slot-1 SC for NDS ROMs only, keeping my slot-2 SClite free for GBA ROMs, mp3s, and videos! I believe that this will be quite the amazing setup, assuming that the SC team will follow through with their promise for releasing a slot-1 cart.

So, what do the rest of you think?

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Actually you wont be able to use your SCLite with this hack because the memory it utilizes was removed from the SCLite. All othe SC versions have it so unless you wanna grab another type SC, then you're gonna be stuck swapping carts
smile.gif

ateam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
backdrifts.net
XP
Country
United States
Actually you wont be able to use your SCLite with this hack because the memory it utilizes was removed from the SCLite. All othe SC versions have it so unless you wanna grab another type SC, then you're gonna be stuck swapping carts
smile.gif

That's untrue. The SClite still has the memory, but it's the rumble version that has had it taken out. How else would I be able to play GBA ROMs on it?

Supercard Guru, hm?
tongue.gif

Phrostay

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well like I stated in my introduction post I was getting a ds-xtreme, unfortunately mod-chip.com doesn't do direct debit with Australia
dry.gif
so I opted to get the SuperKey SD and SuperCard Lite SD Combo from CoolPC.com.au. I have brought a lot of things from them before so I thought why not I'll get myself a backup solution from them. I really wanted a ds-xtreme (1-Slot Solution) but the supercard combo sounds great anyway. I'm just worried like you guys are on memory concerns because I've heard that some DS games require a certain amount of EEPROM memory (i.e. ds-xtreme has 2mb onboard), if so will some newer DS games make the standard supercard/superkey obsolete if they require this EEPROM memory? Luckily I have a windoze computer to run the software, but I'm not too concerned with clean dumps etc. as pretty much most software for the homebrew has their convertor software for windows systems anyway! i.e. comic book DS.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
So, what do the rest of you think?
I think it's a very expensive way of getting out of swapping GBA carts
happy.gif

It's up to you if you think it's worth the money or not. If you're often running out of space on the Supercard and moving your DS roms off the Supercard seems like it'll make a significant difference then go for it. The Opera reason's a tad dumb though; while it would be a nice added bonus to buying a slot-1 cart I don't think it's significant enough to be a reason to buy one.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't buy it just so I could you the Nintendo DS Web Browser. Hell, someone's bound to create a homebrew web browser and I think it's safe to say that it's gonna be way better then Nintendo's licensed piece of crap.
wink.gif

*Fingers still crossed for Okiwi...*
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-