Hacking slot-1 or slot-2

geckoguy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im new to DS homebrew and wanted to know if i should go with a slot 1 or 2 device. my main problem is that the slot 2 devices are losing support but slot 1 devices cant recover your firmware with flashme. should i just get a slot-1 like a R4 and a cheap slot-2 to fix my DS if it bricks?

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Where did you hear that the slot-2 carts can fix firmware. An application that recovers firmware, Flashme, can be run from a slot 1 cartridge, ut you should get a slot-2 cart as well as you have access to a large selection of GBA games as well.

geckoguy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can the flashme recovery be ran from slot 1. what i meant is that most FAQs state that the flashme recovery works with slot 2 but doesnt mention slot 1. so i had the impression i need a slot 2 device to use flashmes recovery mode.

paul3100

Trophies
XP
Country
You can use slot 1 cards to install flashme as i have done it several times without any problems.

QUOTE said:
should i just get a slot-1 like a R4 and a cheap slot-2 to fix my DS if it bricks

Please don't buy an R4! They are old, no new updates for them and are features so newer games have problems playing on it.
You should think about purchasing a supercard SDHC or cyclods which are only £20/$40 ish now from dealxtreme.com with free shipping.

As for a slot 2 card i wouldn't go buying it just in case your ds needs needs the bios flashed as its very very unlikely you will ever have any problems with it. But if you are getting one then most seem to like the EZ 3 in 1 which had rumble function, memory for use with opera browser and other homebrew & some storage space for gba games.

paul

geckoguy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
paul3100 said:
You can use slot 1 cards to install flashme as i have done it several times without any problems.

i actually read into it and new malware hasn't been released in years. so it doesn't seem like i need to get a slot 2 device anyways because my DS isnt going to suddenly brick out of nowhere.

im still gonna install flashme for the unlikely happening of my DS bricking. a slot 2 device is cheaper than a new DS IF it ever happens. and i hate warning screens.

also, i looked at the new supercards compatibility with homebrew and i cant believe i never considered it. thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do NOT get a slot 2 cart. Even with the 'proper' DLDI patch many homebrew titles will not work on slot 2 carts. Not to mention that they are very slow in comparison to any slot 1 cart and always require patching umm "non-homebrew wares". You don't need to worry about your DS getting it's firmware corrupted at all. Just use FlashMe when you get your cart and never think about it again. FlashMe protects the firmware unlike the official firmware. And even if it did somehow magically get corrupted FlashMe has a failsafe recovery mode (also something the official firmware lacks) so there is no problem reflashing it. So do yourself a favor and don't even think about slot 2s... ever... Get an AKRPG, DSTT, M3 Real, CycloDS, (AK2 if their QC is fixed by the time you get a cart), or whatever the best card of the day is.
wacko.gif

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
geckoguy said:
paul3100 said:

i actually read into it and new malware hasn't been released in years. so it doesn't seem like i need to get a slot 2 device anyways because my DS isnt going to suddenly brick out of nowhere.

im still gonna install flashme for the unlikely happening of my DS bricking. a slot 2 device is cheaper than a new DS IF it ever happens. and i hate warning screens.

also, i looked at the new supercards compatibility with homebrew and i cant believe i never considered it. thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
The SCDS One uses Moonshell as its OS, which, if I'm correct (I remember that option in the globalsettings.ini), has a BrickMe protection built-in.

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
There is no reason to buy a slot-2 flashcard.Slot-1 flashcards are regularly updated and there is no need to patch your Nds games to play them.I have a slot-2 supercard SD and I am going to get rid of it to buy an Itouch DS.

paul3100

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
The SCDS One uses Moonshell as its OS, which, if I'm correct (I remember that option in the globalsettings.ini), has a BrickMe protection built-in.

Guys guys guys don't worry about bricking your ds, there is a 99.99999% chance that it won't happen to you! i just isn't an issue ....

But i would buy your self a slot 2 card as well as a slot 1 because of what i said above:

QUOTEEZ 3 in 1 which had rumble function, memory for use with opera browser and other homebrew & some storage space for gba games.

So you can only play DS games on a slot 1 and not gba (gameboy advance games), thats why a slot 2 card is still a good idea to buy + it has the extra memory which some apps/games such as neoDS (neo geo emulator) uses.

If i were you i would head over to dealxtreme and buy a supercard slot 1 SDHC £18/£36 and an ez 3in 1 (slot 2)... trust me you won't regret it :-)

PS: don't even think of purchasing that R4 lol, just don't!!!
lecture.gif

paul

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cracker said:
Even with the 'proper' DLDI patch many homebrew titles will not work on slot 2 carts.
...what? I really want to see a source for this. The only app I can think of that won't work on my slot-2 Supercard would be a GBA dumping program. Plus slot-2 devices can run the earliest homebrew apps that require GBA-like filesystems. I'm not saying that buying a dedicated slot-2 device right now is a good idea, but I don't want to see people spouting complete falsities like this.

Regardless, as long as you get the latest v8 version of FlashMe you will be able to use a slot-1 device to recover your firmware. With v7 and below you had to have a slot-2 device, but this was fixed.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
cracker said:
Even with the 'proper' DLDI patch many homebrew titles will not work on slot 2 carts.
...what? I really want to see a source for this. The only app I can think of that won't work on my slot-2 Supercard would be a GBA dumping program. Plus slot-2 devices can run the earliest homebrew apps that require GBA-like filesystems. I'm not saying that buying a dedicated slot-2 device right now is a good idea, but I don't want to see people spouting complete falsities like this.

Regardless, as long as you get the latest v8 version of FlashMe you will be able to use a slot-1 device to recover your firmware. With v7 and below you had to have a slot-2 device, but this was fixed.

Ok I'll admit that it was an unfair generalization and actually should have said that many homebrew titles will not work on *some* slot 2 carts and while a the rest will have some problematic titles. I have had a lot of problems firsthand with DLDI on the m3 Perfect SD and EZ4. Some were resolved by attempting various combinations of patching while others ended in failure no matter what I tried. I'm not sure that the carts are solely to blame since it is possible that the media shares some of the fault. Nonetheless, slot 1 carts are much better at DLDI homebrew no matter what slot 2 cart you are comparing it to. On the fly patching > manual patching (and even multiple manual patching).

Also, I never mentioned anything about GBFS-based homebrew, only DLDI. And honestly I can't think of anything offhand that is pre-DLDI that I have the need to run (for real.. not just saying that to act like an arrogant ass). Emulators are about the only thing I can think of but in the 'early days' most weren't too good unfortunately.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, I'll admit the only things I've really needed to run that required slot-2 were:
1. The Zelda DS game demo (uses PAFS for its music)
2. SnezziDS (was designed to run straight from ROM like GBA games do)
3. WinDS (doesn't have a filesystem but doesn't usually launch on newer devices for some reason)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i always pee in the water