Hacking Slot 1 Help Please :D

SeanoRLY?

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I have read up on reviews about the R4 and the M3 DS Simply, and I can't decided what one to take.

First up, the R4:

Ok, so I understand that this was the first (and possible leading) Slot 1 card. It has great compatibility with DS Roms (as I have read in the GBAtemp review) and also has some homebrew compatibility. Its cheap, and appears to have next to no flaws.

Second, the M3 DS Simply:

A more known brand. Hasn't been out long, but already great things have been said about it. Apparently ROM compatibility is just as good as the R4, but I am yet to hear anything about homebrew. Its around the same price as an R4, maybe a bit more expensive.

And I'm not going to bother mentioning the Supercard DS ONE, since, to be honest, its out of the game at this moment in time.

Now, I hear good things from both sides, but I'm still not sure what one I want to get. So, can someone convince me, what one should I buy, and why? I'm kinda not sure myself, because, the R4 is not very known, but it seems to have great reviews. And the M3 Simply, is made by a respectable company, and thats about it.

Thank you for anyone who has taken the time to read this rather long post
biggrin.gif

- Sean

(On another note, can someone recommend me a good place to order R4/M3 inside the UK and at a good price. Also a good priced micro SD)

H8TR

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I bought a M3 DS Simply but I would just get what ever you want. If you like that R4 has a shiny label on the cartridge get it. If you like M3's cool new logo, get that. At the moment, they are exactly the same. Same homebrew support, same rom support, same DL play support, practically equal GUI's. R4DS's firmware version 1.04 is the same as M3DSS firmware version 1.00. They are fraternal twins. Look different on the outside, the same on the inside. Who ever you think will have better future support is the flashcart you should get.

Aerquos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Albania
Since you aren't going to consider Supercard (One)...

M3 Simply and R4 are most likely manufactured in the same plant. Essentially, their homebrew compatibility and backup compatibility are the same. Eventually, someone is going to create a hack that could make their firmware and loaders interchangeable so that when one company goes down all the user can move to the other one.

Personally, I'm torn between Supercard's GUI and M3 Simply's excellent backup compatibility. I'm going to wait for GBAtemp's comparison review of the two and then decide.

SeanoRLY?

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, Supercard One doesnt seem to be doing very good. I heard there was low compatibility with ROMS and Homebrew. But, Supercard aren't a pushover , so most likely, they will come up with something.

Ill probably make up my mind in the next week or so. XD

Suphix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm in the same position... at the moment i'm leaning more towards the m3 simply side. but its not very reassuring that the m3 website has not even mentioned the m3 Simply, when the R4 teams website is looking very nice professional and updated.

I also need to find a good place to order from... all i know so far is divineo modchip-store.co.uk and modchipstore.com

oh, and one other thing, really need to find out where i can buy a 2GB 60x Micro SD in the UK

all i will be using my slot1 device for is booting back-uped games, i'm not too bothered about GBA or homebrew or emulation, i have my PSP for that
tongue.gif

ejp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you're buying in the UK you should also consider www.cheapmod.net or www.model-gadget.com both are fairly well priced and I've used both of them in the past - they're both uk based, so no long import delays.

I've recently brought an R4 from cheapmod (£33 delivered) and can highly reccomend them.

agentorentz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i am also confuse in which to get,i simply cant decide on the r4 or m3,i think ill get the r4 after i read the review,my mind was opened,but i dont know where to get it,im in australia,help?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyBmc3-J5AM