Hacking Slot 1 cards vs slot 2 cards

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I am going to order a R4 and i was wondering if a slot 2 would be right for me
I would like to know of any reason(homebrew wise) to get a slot 2 card.
You could also suggest me some good homebrew while your at it
thx

AishunBao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it depends on the individual card for DLDI support. I say just go with the R4 because it has auto DLDI patching anyway.

But I'm kind of new and I may be wrong.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will leave others to suggest homebrew although I will suggest you visit: http://www.playeradvance.org/
If you mean GBA homebrew (in which case might I suggest you leave out supercards) go with

GBA slot carts: pre DLDI homebrew. Prior to addition of DLDI to libfat and its predecessor GBA_NDS_FAT or a library based upon it were used for homebrew. The best bet for these homebrews is a CF using GBAMP or maybe a m3-cf or supercard CF as some of the later cards did not have libraries (or support from libat) at the time. Arguably the only thing of merit from back then (i.e. something without DLDI support) is a rom dumper or rein/rain (the save tool, EZ4 version (the only one I have at present) is here: http://nds.cmamod.com/2006/11/24/ez4-can-w...ven-faster-now/ )

RAM, various homebrew makes use of the RAM present on various GBA slot devices to do various things. Usage is low and methods fragmented. Lick's RAM api seeks to reduce that: http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=13023

Personally GBA slot is just as viable as DS slot in my opinion (for everything) and has the added bonus of GBA rom and homebrew support assuming you get the right cart (various GBA lacking versions exist).

As for actual carts various threads always seem to boil down to following

m3 perfect or EZ4 (original, lite or lite deluxe as lite compact is the reduced GBA version): if you have the cash and like external memory: do it (EZ4 deluxe is the "best" of the EZ4 line).

g6: same as above but with the limitation of internal memory (the 512 megs you have are there always). Cost may be above the 2 choices above (including a decent memory card) and once again old homebrew may well be out (the m3/g6 people were very slow getting a decent library/source code out for the g6).

EZFlash 3 in 1: lacks support of old DS homebrew and has limited memory for GBA (you have to store it on your DS cart) but does do GBA and RAM functions and is damn cheap. Needs a DS to be written to as well.

People tend to dismiss supercards due to their issues with RAM (it is there and OK for homebrew but GBA is done far better by others).

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I thank you very much Fast6191 But Gba doesn't matter that much to me, the only issues i think i might have is homebrew not working on a slot 1 card. Now the R4 has automatic DLDI patching it seems to have become less of a problem but im worried i might need a Slot 2 to use some Nds homebrew, as DSlinux and DSorganize are apparently not working on Slot 1 cards
I see that there are many Homebrew games and applications (some of which seem very attractive to me) that i would like to try

I know i shouldve been a bit clearer in my first post but i was somewhere else with a dodgy keyboard
tongue.gif

Edit: thanks for the info about the flashcards, but i already know that, sorry to make you waste your time.
I will vow not to make new topics with dodgy keyboards ever again

Edit 2:
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

GAMEYEEEAH.COM HAS JUST DECIDED TO SELL EZ FLASH 3IN1 IN GBA SIZE!!!!!
Im gonna be getting that so i dont have to worry anymore

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup