Slot-1 Cards GBA?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by EhMawn, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2007

Slot-1 Cards GBA? by EhMawn at 1:17 AM (1,373 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. EhMawn
    OP

Newcomer EhMawn Newbie

United States
    Do Slot-1 Cards (like R4DS M3DSS) work if i put a GBA backup rom in? I don't have any yet and am still considering. The main issue i suppose, is that Slot-1 Cards aren't read the same way as Slot-2 cards, therefore making GBA roms not able to run on Slot-1 cards.

2. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    You're absolutely correct. GBA games cannot be run on any Slot-1 cards as of today.

3. EhMawn
    OP

Newcomer EhMawn Newbie

United States
    this might be a totally stupid question but, since they developed a NES emulator for NDS (homebrew for slot-1)... y can't they make a gba-emulator? I mean i'm probably gonna get replies like "if you want it, program it yourself"... but i'm a bit surprised that no one has really considered it yet,..as i've seen so far

4. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    there are two problems. the first is memory speed and the second is that the gba processor (ARM7) is accessed differently in NDS and GBA mode.

5. iwakura

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States
    I have no idea myself, but I'd iassume the type of memory necessary to run NES and GBA games are completely different. (flash memory vs SRAM)

6. EhMawn
    OP

Newcomer EhMawn Newbie

United States
    ah ok, yeah it's pretty logical. thx.

7. takieda

Member takieda GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Actually there has been some discussion about this on different boards. The unfortunate end result is that too little would be gained from said emulator, so few, if any, were interested in working on it. Most people don't see/feel the need for such an emulator, esp. considering just getting a slot-2 device would be all that's really needed, but there are some very healthy benefits to producing a GBA emulator for the DS.

The biggest difficulty lies in emulating the hardware of the GBA. One idea was to actually pass the commands for the GBA rom straight to the Arm7 processor and have them process as normal, then have the result passed to the Arm9 for further instructions. Unfortunately, none of the people I've talked to directly about this are either interested, or are good enough to code said emulator.

8. EhMawn
    OP

Newcomer EhMawn Newbie

United States
    hahaha we should start a group here! i can't program/don't know where to start, but i mean, people have interest. i do ('cause it would save everyone a lot of money to buy just a slot-1...also it seems a lot more convenient). This thread's been up for an hour and a lot of people have replied to it already. We have interest. [​IMG]

9. EhMawn
    OP

Newcomer EhMawn Newbie

United States
    eh, do u guys think it's a good idea to start trying to assemble people here?

10. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    It will not work well even if it was made. So it would be best not to bother, or get a slot 2 card.

11. EhMawn
    OP

Newcomer EhMawn Newbie

United States
    why not? because of the arm7 issue?

12. takieda

Member takieda GBAtemp Regular

United States
    SNES specs:
    CPU: 16-bit 65816 (3.58MHz)
    RAM: 128KB, 64KB Video RAM
    Colors: 32768 (256 on screen)
    Resolution: 512x448 pixels
    Sound: 8-channel 8-bit Sony SPC700 digitized sound

GBA specs:
    CPU: 32-bit RISC-CPU (16.78MHz)
    RAM: 32KB, 96 KB VRAM (in CPU), 256KB external
    Color : 32768 (511 on screen)
    Resolution : 240 x 160 pixels

Seeing the difficulty of just getting SNES games running on the DS, sadly, the difficulty in emulating GBA games on the DS is that much more difficult. That's the reason for passing the GBA rom straight through (as in no actual emulation) but then sending the result to the Arm9 processor for further instructions, such as full screen enhancements, or wifi GBA-Link games, etc...

13. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    You can't pass the GBA commands directly to the ARM7. It behaves completely differently in DS mode than it does in GBA mode.

Also, where would you put the GBA binary? The way a DS card is read is different to a GBA card, see GBATEK: http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm

14. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.