Hacking Homebrew Emulation Slip Database Manager - Manage custom games for the GBA Emulator Sloop

Jodica

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello and thanks for the app, is there any way to return to the game after pressing home? When I reenter to the app show the running game but a second later return to the menu.

deejay87

Trophies
Website
deejay87.fr
XP
Country
France
Hello and thanks for the app, is there any way to return to the game after pressing home? When I reenter to the app show the running game but a second later return to the menu.
Hi, R2 to open Menu and "Exit game"
Edit : not the good response for the question sorry :)

Last edited by deejay87,

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No. NERD designed it so that on pressing home to resume the app, it ends emulation. This is what it means in the main menu "Press HOME twice to return to Menu from Game". Once to tab out. Another to tab back in and end emulation.

But I can take it into consideration for a customization. Since there is a option in the in game menu to exit to the main menu, it's not like that press home two times is nessacery.

EDIT:

Oh yea. Until such a time, you could always try duplicating the game in slip, and setting the -resume option for the duplicate. Doing so will resume the save that was made on exit.

To do that, right click the game to select "Duplicate Game Title". Then right click the duplicate (should be at the bottom of the list) and select "Edit Game Settings". Go to the Saving tab, and in the input field next to Resume State type "sd:/Sloop+/<GamesCodeValueHere_e>/exit". So it if was say Golden Sun, it would be "sd:/Sloop+/GoldenSun_e/exit". Without the quotes.

Id recommend creating a new group and moving the new duplicate to that group.

Last edited by DarkAkuma,

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But I can take it into consideration for a customization. Since there is a option in the in game menu to exit to the main menu, it's not like that press home two times is nessacery.

Ok. I looked into the code to see if I could find and do this hack and... I can! It works just as I would want.

But before I go and add this change, I feel maybe I should see what others think first.

How would people feel about this change? Please vote with a Love or Angry emoji from the Like options on this reply.

To be clear, the trade off is...

Pros:
  • Gain whats probably familiar functionality of resuming an in progress game after pressing home.
Cons:
  • Lose the ability to press HOME to return to the Main Menu, requiring you to press ZR/touch the screen to bring up the in game menu and select "Exit Game".
  • Requires use of handheld mode to get back to the Main Menu, since while the above menu can be accessed via the gamepad, the option itself requires touch screen.
  • Makes ensuring that saving is successful, more difficult, as exiting to the main menu is required for saves to be made.
I would assume its a no brainier... but maybe someone has some reasoning against it. I'm in no rush to add this change just yet, so may as well field feedback...

EDIT:

Actually... There is a con I just thought of. I test so much in handheld mode... that I don't consider docked mode. How would people return to the menu in docked mode? They wouldn't!

You could say that docked usage would just have to pick up the device, or close and restart the app to get back to the main menu. But the latter is not good because... another thing to consider is, this makes returning to the main menu in handheld mode, required. Saves are only made on exit back to the menu. Not pressing home once then X to close the app.

Important Notice

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are a couple bugs with Slip that I am now aware of. But... that I can't yet provide a proper fix for. The reason being is that... since there were no reports of issues... I felt it safe to start making significant changes to the Slip code. So compiling any new build would be a major update. And frankly... the direction of the project itself has shifted. As for that topic...

Both Slip and the Custom Hiyoko NSP builder will be merged into CaVE. The next build of either will be... THAT.

But that CaVE update is still in progress to the point that I would not even announce it now if not for these bugs.

On to the bugs and the workarounds.

Bug: "I added a custom ROM, but Sloop+ crashes when I try to boot it."

Cause: Slip incorrectly sets the name of the ROM when importing it.​

Workaround: Right click the game line of the new imported game in Slip, and select "Open Game Title Folder". Rename the .gba file to exactly the same name as the .sav file, except for the extension of course.

Bug: "I selected a new image for my custom ROM and its not showing up in Slip or Sloop+."

Cause: I forgot a slash, and the image is copied with the Sloop+ folder name as part of its name in a parent folder instead.​
Workaround: Right click the game line of the new imported game in Slip, and select "Open Game Title Folder". Manually copy in the png format image and rename it to Title.png, overwriting as needed. You may need to close Slip first.

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only "fix" is one that gets the pokemon games to boot at all. SRAM saving is sacrificed for that. Maybe someone could develop a patch, but I wasent able to.

The best work around is to make your instance of the game rely on save states. Refer to the FAQ of the first post for how to change a game to use save state loading on boot. Id recommend making a new group for save state loading on boot, and moving it to that group.

Reactions: Luisgabriel

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone figured out how to add your own roms to sloop?

Yes... lol... That is ENTIRELY what Slip was all about. Did you bother to read anything from this thread? I know I deleted the OP and replaced it with a redirect over to CaVE, but thats because CaVE now contains EVERYTHING that Slip did. It was merged into CaVE. And all you have to do is scroll down and read to find out that information. CaVE support adding your own ROM's to everything in my signature.

As far as Sloop goes. The only issue is finding the legitimate leaked NSP now. Not the garbage pointless hack NSP that shouldn't exist, but every source instead posted. And I suppose... Sloop is more of a curiosity at this point. There little reason I can see using it over NSO GBA.

Reactions: Hydr0Reaper666

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)