Hacking Slight Saving Lag

Prince Valmont

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this. I just switched from a first-gen R4 to a SCDS2, and I noticed that it takes much longer to save a DS game compared to the R4.

For example: Dragon Quest IX. On the R4, I would go to a church and save. It would finish saving even before the "saving church music" finished. I figured that must be normal. On the SCDS2, the saving didn't finish until 3 seconds after the saving music had ended, adding up a total of 8-9 seconds to save. The R4 only took about 2-3. Is this normal? Even Pokemon SoulSilver took what seemed to be an unnatural length of time to save.

Any ideas or even possibly solutions?

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Put your old 1 or 2GB SD in a with a couple of test ROMs and see what happens
wink.gif

macgeek417

妁眼のシャナ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Prince Valmont said:
Ah, you knew I was using a 4GB or above? Was that the problem? High Capacity MicroSD may have longer save/write times?
Depends - some microSD cards are slower than others, yours must be slower.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Prince Valmont said:
Ah, you knew I was using a 4GB or above? Was that the problem? High Capacity MicroSD may have longer save/write times?
Older / smaller SDs are based on SLC (single layer cell), where as most SDHC cards are based on MLC (multi layer cell). Most flash carts seem to perform a lot better with SLC cards.

Different MLC SDs also have different controllers which can be a contributing factor. Don't quote me on this, but I think the Toshiba controller is a lot faster.

I also think different flash carts can handle the lag from a poor performing SD in different ways. I am only guessing here, but I would speculate that different caching methods between flash carts can cause variations in performance.

macgeek417

妁眼のシャナ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mantis41 said:
Prince Valmont said:
Older / smaller SDs are based on SLC (single layer cell), where as most SDHC cards are based on MLC (multi layer cell). Most flash carts seem to perform a lot better with SLC cards.

Different MLC SDs also have different controllers which can be a contributing factor. Don't quote me on this, but I think the Toshiba controller is a lot faster.

I also think different flash carts can handle the lag from a poor performing SD in different ways. I am only guessing here, but I would speculate that different caching methods between flash carts can cause variations in performance.
True, but some higher-end microSDHC cards use SLC for faster write speeds. My 8GB microSDHC works BETTER on the DSTWO than on AKAIO 1.7.1 - it saves faster, and the intro video for Avalon Code (What I use to benchmark my microSD cards) doesn't lag NEAR as much as on AKAIO.

1Player

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Prince Valmont said:
I'm using the 4GB Kingston I bought from ShopTemp (in the SCDS2 bundle)

for some reason alot of people come on the supercard forum and has said the micro sd card bundled with their flash cart from shoptemp don't work well..I'm not sure why. I always buy micro sd from amazon it's cheaper and I never had any problems with them..

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
macgeek417 said:
Mantis41 said:
Prince Valmont said:

True, but some higher-end microSDHC cards use SLC for faster write speeds. My 8GB microSDHC works BETTER on the DSTWO than on AKAIO 1.7.1 - it saves faster, and the intro video for Avalon Code (What I use to benchmark my microSD cards) doesn't lag NEAR as much as on AKAIO.
I just put a copy of Avalon on my Acekard and the intro is as smooth as silk. I could not detect a single hesitation.

macgeek417

妁眼のシャナ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mantis41 said:
macgeek417 said:
Mantis41 said:
Prince Valmont said:

I just put a copy of Avalon on my Acekard and the intro is as smooth as silk. I could not detect a single hesitation.

Well the fastest microSD card I have is a class-4 =P

Prince Valmont

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
9th_Sage said:
Yeah, I bet it's the card you're using. When playing DX IX for me it always finishes saving well before the music is over.

9th Sage, could you help me out by telling me what brand/size microSD card you're rocking? I just tried saving a state in Lameboy, and it took 6 seconds. I know now that I will not be able to handle these times in the future. If I had a card (@ 4GB or higher) that saves as fast as my old 2GB, I can be happy again.

SirCB85

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Okay, I´m at a loss here.
Up until now I thought the higher the Class of a SDHC the higher the read- writespeed it supports.
Now I made a little test using my new 4GB Class-4 SDHC I bought from ShopTemp allong with the SCDSTwo and on the other Hand my old 4GB Class-2 SDHC I previosly used in my AK2i and wanted to keep using in that so I don´t have both OS´s on one Kart.
Well, testing both in the SCDSTwo by saving in Digimon World DS I´ve seen it takes about 1 Sec to save on the Class-2 and 8 Sec to save on the Class-4.
Is that normal, or should I be worried about the long time it takes on the Class-4?

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Prince Valmont said:
9th_Sage said:
Yeah, I bet it's the card you're using. When playing DX IX for me it always finishes saving well before the music is over.

9th Sage, could you help me out by telling me what brand/size microSD card you're rocking? I just tried saving a state in Lameboy, and it took 6 seconds. I know now that I will not be able to handle these times in the future. If I had a card (@ 4GB or higher) that saves as fast as my old 2GB, I can be happy again.
It's an Adata 8 GB Class 6 SDHC card.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SirCB85 said:
Okay, I´m at a loss here.
Up until now I thought the higher the Class of a SDHC the higher the read- writespeed it supports.
Now I made a little test using my new 4GB Class-4 SDHC I bought from ShopTemp allong with the SCDSTwo and on the other Hand my old 4GB Class-2 SDHC I previosly used in my AK2i and wanted to keep using in that so I don´t have both OS´s on one Kart.
Well, testing both in the SCDSTwo by saving in Digimon World DS I´ve seen it takes about 1 Sec to save on the Class-2 and 8 Sec to save on the Class-4.
Is that normal, or should I be worried about the long time it takes on the Class-4?
The Class is the sequential read speed only.

We are more interested in the random access speed as games will very rarely load sequentialy. Even the in game movies are probably being loaded as seperate bits and pieces being cached as it plays and not as one sequential chunk.

You will find smaller cards have a much better random access speed than the larger cards. Also SLC cards have much higher random access than MLC cards. The write speed of the card is more effected by the quality of the cards controller and has very little to do with the class.

Prince Valmont

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mantis41 said:
The write speed of the card is more effected by the quality of the cards controller and has very little to do with the class.

So do you have a recommended brand? I would like to know what to buy. I want at least a 4GB, one that will load the games without hiccups, but above all: one that won't take 8-10 seconds to write/save a game. Brand name/Class (even though you say it's not important to the writing speed)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte