wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
review.gif
SLG3000
Scanlines are back!
slg3000scanlines.jpg

SLG3000, built by hand by Germany’s Arcade Forge, offers retro gamers the ability to add scanlines to modern televisions. The box sells for about $70 USD and takes 2-3 weeks to be constructed. For more information on VGA upscaling and the device itself, check the source link below.

icon11.gif
 Source

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Interesting but you still need to buy an external upscaller for others system than Dreamcast.

A real plug and play solution for every systems would be perfect and an insta-buy for me .
smile.gif

But the idea is there, and I guess it's just a matter of time before market gets invaded with many of those devices. scanlines FTW!

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's awesome, but not as awesome as the CRT emulation Stella (Atari 2600 emu) implements.

When we'll have a full hardware CRT emulator, then I'll surely buy one for my old consoles
tongue.gif

Z

Zorua

Its useless IMO. Why would someone want to spend 70$ to downgrade their picture quality? It might be nostalgic and all but it's pretty useless.....

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Some wii games give this function for free:
Twlight Princess/PoP Forgotten Sands on progressive mode, for example.

Nice nostalgia device btw.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
this is the example from the source page. with scanlines you really need to see them in action to see how they help. everyone should remember that you don't train your eyes to see the scanlines, and you really don't see them until you are on top of the tv. what they do is make the graphics appear "sharper" around the edges, and yes it makes them feel right to nostalgic gamers.

QUOTE said:
In modern games, the lack of scanlines isn’t an issue, but with retro titles – with their pixel-based graphics – scanlines are of vital importance. They serve to sharpen the image, giving 2D visuals more clarity. It seems almost absurd, but a quick look at any 2D game running under scanlines proves the point beyond all doubt.

scanlinesimagelarge_exampleblah.jpg

QUOTEOn the left is the 'untouched' RGB image running on an LCD TV. On the right is the image running through the SLG3000 (click to enlarge)

-another world

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
This looks really interesting. This and an upscaler would be awesome, but they're a bit too expensive for me right now sadly
frown.gif

war2thegrave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
Seems nice for novelty value, but it's not worth the $70 investment.

It is if you collect arcade game boards. Even more so now that CRT arcade monitors are no longer being produced.

RowanDDR

SNES Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
I was interested in this until I saw that it didn't output the native resolution of my TV and therefore not allow 1:1 pixel mapping (i suppose VGA doesnt support 1080p resolution). For arguments sake, most decent flatscreen tellys are 1080px high.. classic console games are often 240px heigh. 240 fits into 1080 four times, with a little left ofter. So ideally I would want the original image quadrupled, so that 240px heigh becomes 960 px heigh, using 2px for each line, 2px for each scanline. That would ensure pixels and scanlines are essentially 1:1 (well, 1:4) with the real pixels of the screen, which would keep them ridiculously sharp (shaper than on a CRT due to lack of "blooming" and geometry issues), and almost fill the entire screen height - having a small black border is a tiny price to pay for that.

There are probably some really expensive scalers that can do this, I don't know which ones they are (anyone know?). MAME can do this, although I find the display settings in MAME confusing and it took me ages to get it working as I wanted it. When I did get it working, it was breathtaking - "arcade perfect".
smile.gif

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Damn, they beat me.
I had a similar, but much , much less expensive idea to simulate scanlines on any Tv or Monitor, without any resolution problem.
I might be nostalgic, but I really like sprite based retro games displayed with scanlines.
I had an hard time finding out the right options and right filters to simulate scanlines in MAME the way I like it, but unfortunately, not every emulator has so many options.
And the Dreamcast.....it has great arcade ports, like MvC2, SFII, SFIII double impact, and the Apha series.
I hook up my DC to my PC monitor, but even those games with decent looking pre-rendered backgrouds, have terrible pixelated sprites, so I'm really interested into this !

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
$70 and you don't even get a decent enclosure?
Meh... I like the way it looks without the scanlines anyway.

Also... lol that the board + case separate is cheaper than board w/case

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: If you want a good system to port it to, at least have a good programmer and knowledge.