Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition for PS4/XO (Outed by Amazon)

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by WiiCube_2013, Aug 7, 2014.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I played Sleeping Dogs on my 360 and it was so glitchy and buggy as hell but it didn't ruin the fun for me (the QTE was lame), although to get it to the state of "Definitive Edition" they would need to get rid of all those glitches and bugs which probably they won't (better graphics + all DLC = done!).​
    Here's one of those glorious times:​

2. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    Man... this generation is off to a bang with up-port rereleases.

3. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    But but... glitches were fun, I had a glitch one day where my car ended up on top of a building with me inside of it

4. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Never played Sleeping Dogs before. Will pick it up.

5. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Do it, its better than Grand Theft Auto.

6. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    There was a distinct lack of Baha Men in the original version. I can only hope this upscaled edition fixes this egregious error.

7. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    It ran fine on the PS3 at least.

It's a pretty fun game, it just got a bit repetitive and felt kinda limited. Still think Just Cause 2 is better when it comes to crazy open world games.

8. goober

goober GBAtemp Regular

Jun 14, 2006
    United States
    It looked pretty awful on PS3 when compared to PC on max. So this is welcome news indeed, particularly if it will help us get a sequel.

Sleeping Dogs is infinitely better than GTA in design simply because of what they did with the budget and production hangups they had. What's GTA's excuse for its glitches, uninspired game design and lack of ambition in V? Even IV was more ambitious, and most of its flaws were forgivable given the generation shift. Considering how much they pushed boundaries and design with San Andreas, and the lesser budget, it's kind of ridiculous V turned out the way it did. And all that time and money being spent on GTAOnline is definitely not worth a crappier single player experience. Even in single player they act like heists and the missions from them would play a significant role but we get, what, 4 or so of them? Ridiculous.

The biggest flaw with Sleeping Dogs is only a few design decisions and the terribly predictable and awful story. It was truly a wasted opportunity from that perspective but at least they tried and succeeded with new things for gameplay. The game is rather solid given its budgetary constraints. And even if you ignore that, the game is just fun.

It would really be the sweet spot to have GTA for that polished but hollow experience, Saints Row for the off the wall, crazy arcade experience, and Sleeping Dogs for the middle ground and different combat focus.

9. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I recall reading an article of Sleeping Dogs' sequel being in the works so this is probably to make up until they release Sleeping Dogs 2.

Nintendogs, Sleeping Dogs, Watch Dogs.. what's next Duty Dogs?

10. lismati

lismati Speedrunner in practice

Feb 24, 2010
    Poland
    Yes.
    This release is bad news. Get on with Sleeping Dogs: Peasant HD edition, and please work on Sleeping Dogs 2.

I really got into the story of the first SD, I want to see it continued.

11. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Someone didn't play Call of Duty: Ghosts.

12. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    That doesn't count because it doesn't have Dogs in the title.

13. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Picked this up on PC for 5 bucks (steam sale). Was pretty good. I'd say even VERY good. Never noticed any glitches whatsoever (okay, it wasn't exactly bought on launch day) and looked great. I first assumed this was about the rumored sequel, but I guess it isn't...yet. :(

14. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Sleeping Dogs is pretty good. Story is not the best but actually believable.

Hopefully they rework the romance part (so short and weak) and refine hand to hand combat on the sequel.