Sleep Problem with EZ-Flash 3 in 1

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Arch Feline, Jun 4, 2008.

Jun 4, 2008
  1. Arch Feline
    OP

Member Arch Feline GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I am using GBA Exploader and playing Ougon not Taiyou - Ushinawareshi Toki (Golden Sun: The Lost Age). There are three ways of setting sleep. Pause menu, Pressing Select + L + R and selecting auto-sleep. The first 2 do not work on EZ-Flash 3 in 1 but do work in VisualBoy Advance. I am waiting to see if the auto sleep feature will work on the 3 in 1. ... Auto sleep does not work either.

I had the same experience with Boktai - The sun is in your hand and GBALdr.

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
  3. Arch Feline
    OP

United States
    So it is a hardware problem, but there is no universal patch that you can just run through GBATA or overlay with a hex editor?

4. Destructobot

United States
    GBATA's sleep hack works (though I've found that it can introduce glitches into the games), as does kuwanger's modification of Dwedit's sleep hack tool. There is no universal fix for the normal in-game sleep feature.

5. Arch Feline
    OP

United States
    The EZ-Flash wiki refers you to a four page topic to patch your *.gba. I read it and ran both the Dwedit and the Kuwanger from the command line. I know just enough dos to change directories.

The Dwedit did not enable sleep. The Kuwanger process causes reboot on touching any of Start, Select, R, L.

That leaves other the option in the wiki which I actually tried first because it is easier to read and requires no download and unzipping.
    You need to run debugger from VBA after you enter sleep. I am not sure that disassemble in Tools is the same as debugger but anyhow I looked for the move instruction that moves in 0xc0 and could not find it. Then I started up VBA and started a cheat search. I searched for 0xc0, did a sleep and searched for 0xc0 again. I did not see anything new.

I am sure that I did the patching right, but I may have failed at the debugging part.

6. Destructobot

United States
    Kuwanger's sleephack mod does work (I've tested it myself). L+R+Start+Select does a soft reset (it should reset back to the flashcart menu on the EZ-IV, it just resets the game on the 3-in-1). To enter sleep mode you press L+R+Start. To leave sleep mode you press Start+Select.

7. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    I was going to mention Dwedit's and Kuwanger's work, but I see I've been beaten. Good thing Destructobot visits PocketHeaven now!

8. Arch Feline
    OP

United States
    ??? I do not doubt that the sleep hack works for many games. I tried it for Ougon no Taiyou - Ushinawareshi Toki. I got an out file that rebooted if any of Start, Select, R or L was touched. It does not work for this game is all (and unfortunate).

9. Destructobot

United States
    I can't find 'Ougon no Taiyou - Ushinawareshi Toki' on a release list, only 'Ougon no Taiyo' and 'Ougon no Taiyou - Shitsu Warate Jidai'.

I tried kuwanger's sleephack with Ougon no Taiyou - Shitsu Warate Jidai and got the same results that you did; it resets whever you press L, R, Start or Select. I tried GBATA's sleephack on the same rom, and it works properly.

10. Arch Feline
    OP

United States
    I just patched it and it shrank from 16 mb to 15.4 mb. -Ignore me, I am sure it does not matter.

Ougon no Taiyou: Shitsu Warate Jidai (Value Selection) seems to be the reprinted version and more readily available. I got mine at ^^^ ^^^^^.

B u m m er! I never reach the game. The EZ-Flash keeps rebooting. I will try again. I got it right finally. 1) reboot was set as no keys. I am slow but I figured it out. 2) wake up must be different from sleep.

It works. All right!

Thank you for your guidance.

11. PizzaPasta

Member PizzaPasta Son of p1ngpong

United States
    I have Kuwanger's sleep hack, how do I patch a ROM with it?

Why does all of his stuff totally lack instructions?

This shit always makes me feel sooooo stupid.

12. Destructobot

United States

13. PizzaPasta

United States
    Oh, I see it was in that weird txt file. What the hell is an OLD anyway?

It works now, thanks again. I need to buy you some beers someday.

14. Destructobot

United States
    That's just what kuwanger decided to name Dwedit's original readme.

15. PizzaPasta

United States
    Haha! I thought it was some weird file type!

16. PizzaPasta

United States
    I thought I got this to work but apparently I was wrong.

I've been fooling around with this for an hour or so now and as usual, I'm not getting anywhere.

Which command line program do I need to use? There's an app that is packaged in the .zip file but when I click on it it flashes for a second and disappears, so it's definitely not that one, right? Should I be using command prompt? I also have the Python Command Line program, which would work better?

When I type sleephack into either Python or Command Prompt, I get a syntax error or this: File ", line 1. Am I supposed to replace input_file.gba with the name of the ROM I am using this with and vice verse for the output_file.gba?

And how where am I supposed to put the sleephack folder, does it matter? I thought I had this figured out but today I tried to put a game in sleep mode and it didn't work.

I feel dumb.