Sleep Paralysis

Libertarian94

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So yesterday, i woke up in the middle of the night, and couldn't move.
It was all very blurry, and scary, and i heard lots of sounds, of mostly machinery.
And eventually a shadow on the wall turned into a physical silhouette, whom sat upon me, and pushed down on my chest.
I eventually woke up.
Anyone else experienced it?
feel free to share your stories!

btw: Sorry for bad grammar, English ain't my main language.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds like lucid dreaming. (I think)

Reactions: 2 people

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I get it all the time although mines hypnagogic (while falling asleep) rather than hypnopompic (while waking up). It's a pain in the arse. I've never seen the hag, presumably because I'm not from the middle ages.

Reactions: 2 people

ianrulz1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i've had it once in my life when i was a kid its awful! my ex had it almost every night tho an said she'd always see me dying before she'd sleep. really weird shit!

Rob3rr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lucid dreaming is where you know you are dreaming whilst asleep.

Whenever I've had sleep paralysis, I'm never sure whether I was awake or asleep at the time and even afterwards I'm not entirely certain. It feels like I'm awake in bed but cannot move, but maybe it's just in my mind. There's always a sort of jolt at the end, where you are trying to move and you suddenly wake up and are able to. But maybe you aren't waking up, and your body is just not responding to your brain when it tells it to move? I'm not sure.

Green0scar

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've exerience sleep paralysis. However, I didn't experince any hallucinations. I just couldnt move at all. Eventually it would wear off and I would have my mobility back but nothing like you have decribed. it hasn't happened in a while, but it can be scary.

It feels like your mind wakes up before you body fully does.

Edit:
Exactly like what Depravo said, except I would experince both of those.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I get it all the time although mines hypnagogic (while falling asleep) rather than hypnopompic (while waking up). It's a pain in the arse. I've never seen the hag, presumably because I'm not from the middle ages.

I only ever had 1 case of the hypnagogic kind once and it was like an out of body experience and I kind of enjoyed it, wish it would happen again. I have had numerous hypnopompic cases and still do on occasion. They used to suck, but now I can controll myself and see some pretty cool shit.

Never seen the hag, but I did have a face in my face once. I spit at it and then woke up. This actually hhappeneda few months ago.

Libertarian94

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

I only ever had 1 case of the hypnagogic kind once and it was like an out of body experience and I kind of enjoyed it, wish it would happen again. I have had numerous hypnopompic cases and still do on occasion. They used to suck, but now I can controll myself and see some pretty cool shit.

Never seen the hag, but I did have a face in my face once. I spit at it and then woke up. This actually hhappeneda few months ago.

I believe that when its an OB-experience its called a lucid dream.
I've heard of a couple of people who've tried lucid dreaming, and they explain that its like having control over your dream... I would really enjoy having that :P

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm in the same boat, it happens when I'm waking up now and then.

However it's somewhat common and I've found it less scary the more it happens.

Even worse is when you wake up and then start passing out and you're unable to stop it. You know you're slipping back into sleep and will suffer from the paralysis and it sucks.

I've found the best thing to do is move whatever you have control of, usually your fingers and toes. Do it as much as possible and you'll eventually wake up.

The first few times it happens you get really freaked out but eventually it just becomes a nuisance.

Reactions: 1 person

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I sometimes get sleep paralysis without the hallucinations, but about five years ago I had a bad experience with it. It was right after I had heard the story of the hag and I was anxious about falling asleep. At that point, I hadn't tried to move in a while and I suddenly had to...uh...go, for lack of a better word. I tried getting up and wasn't able to move, so I knew I was right about to fall asleep or something and didn't resist it.

I listened to my family creep off to bed and when my brother turned on the bathroom light...I saw it. Through the light coming through the crack in my slightly-opened bedroom door.

It was a dark figure with a witch-like appearance. It frightened the hell out of me and I made all attempts to go to sleep. The hag didn't do anything except watch, and I quickly fell asleep. I woke up suddenly at around 4 or 5 am, screaming my head off. My entire family actually came in my room to see what was going on. But I remembered the hag. I remember that she lunged at me at the very last waking moment I remember. And I remember she was in my dreams...no...my nightmares.

I actually requested to sleep in my brother's room that night. It wasn't that I was afraid of seeing the hag again...it was that my brother's room was positioned in such a way that the light from the bathroom never reached inside the room. I wouldn't be able to see the hag in the dark if I did get sleep paralysis again. And having someone else in the room was a bit of a comfort as well.

....though compared to another incident that happened a bit more recently, this is a cakewalk. I would have endured this hundreds of times before...

Nevermind. I've spooked myself.

Jennyfurr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had episodes of sleep paralysis for around 5-6 years now. The first time really freaked me out, I had no idea what was happening. So of course I did some research and did find out.

Since then, it's happened maybe 2-3 times a month on average. It just plain sucks. I rarely have any visual hallucinations with it, but I usually hear noises and feel things like someone sitting on my back (I usually sleep on my stomach). A lot of times I'll hear talking and it's really creepy. The worst part about it for me is that I feel like I can barely breathe every time, like I'm breathing out of a really narrow straw or something.

I've never found any way to prevent it or anything, but when it does happen I just have to like focus my mind and realize what's going on. First, I have to try and focus on breathing, because it's really scary since I feel like I'm getting no air. Then I'll try to move my hand or something, and that usually wakes me up after a few tries.

Even worse is when you wake up and then start passing out and you're unable to stop it. You know you're slipping back into sleep and will suffer from the paralysis and it sucks.

YES. This almost ALWAYS happens when I have sleep paralysis. It sucks really bad, because I always manage to fall asleep again at least 5 times. Eventually I have to just immediately jump up and get out of bed or whatever as soon as I manage to stay awake long enough.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So yesterday, i woke up in the middle of the night, and couldn't move.
It was all very blurry, and scary, and i heard lots of sounds, of mostly machinery.
And eventually a shadow on the wall turned into a physical silhouette, whom sat upon me, and pushed down on my chest.
I eventually woke up.
Anyone else experienced it?
feel free to share your stories!

btw: Sorry for bad grammar, English ain't my main language.

My dad had this happen to him. He was sleeping, then he opened his eyes, and he couldn't move at all. Next thing he saw was a black figure coming closer, sat down, pushed down on him, then he woke. Just like you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16