Slave health Deficit

mikeychunn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I'm looking up information about the "Slave Health Deficit" for my report due tomorrow. I first heard about it from Vernellia Randall, author of Dying While Black I was wondering if this is a real
condition or is it a metaphor for the racial disparities among the health care system? Please note that this is a serious thread and things like, Racist motha***, shut up fa*, or anything of the likes should be witheld

Thanks.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A odd topic for a user with 6 posts,but I see what you need and am quiet confused considering I don't know what a racist would gain by turning down others who are of a different race... less money? Sorry if I misunderstood.

mikeychunn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm trying to look this up on google but all the results are rather vague. Basically, it's for sociology and Randall makes multiple indications about the Slave Health Deficit. Thanks for trying though

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Isnt there that story about the man who went on the boat and then went on a farm who was a slave there and ran away with the lady. I forgot his name, we was doing History in school
tongue.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
As far as I understand it, studies show that black people are more prone to coronary diseases, and "slave health deficit" refers to the theory that this is due to being exposed to racism in everyday life, which adds to the stress levels, causes hipertension, and can lead to coronary diseases. Simply put, all other things being equal, a black person is exposed to the same stress a white person in the same position/circumstances and on top of that racism and racial discrimination, i.e. a black person, in a same position, is exposed to a higher level of stress.

That's the theory. There' much debate on the issue.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Veho said:
As far as I understand it, studies show that black people are more prone to coronary diseases, and "slave health deficit" refers to the theory that this is due to being exposed to racism in everyday life, which adds to the stress levels, causes hipertension, and can lead to coronary diseases. Simply put, all other things being equal, a black person is exposed to the same stress a white person in the same position/circumstances and on top of that racism and racial discrimination, i.e. a black person, in a same position, is exposed to a higher level of stress.

That's the theory. There' much debate on the issue.

bow.gif
You good sir are a very clever bastard, lots of respect to you Veho mate.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Veho said:
TrolleyDave said:
bow.gif
You good sir are a very clever bastard, lots of respect to you Veho mate.
What did I do? I don't get it
unsure.gif

It's not that you did anything in particular, it's that you are wealth of good, solid information about alot of subjects. I see you answer stuff like this each time with good clear answers. Basically you're very smart and very well informed about alot of uiseful and sometimes very obscure subjects.
smile.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Aw shucks
shy.gif
I really don't deserve such praise. I'm just good at picking up random trivia. Obscure, yes, but I wouldn't call any of that useful. And the reason my answers are clear is the fact my English skills have deteriorated with disuse and are at an elementary school level, so my explanations can't help but be clear and to the point
wacko.gif

Back on topic, the other meaning of this phrase is the literal one. Slaves' health was poor, due to horrible working and living conditions, malnourishment and lack of medical attention. Some people (including Vernellia Randall) tie this into the statistics I mentioned earlier and claim the discrimination in health care continues to this day, causing the overall health of the black population in America to be, on average, significantly lower than that of the white population.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Btw today at school I gave one of my cookies from my snack to the girl I like.