Status
Not open for further replies.

Netsi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
same timezone as mine... I don't understand, why they have this game already. was in a big city in my country today, but none of the stores had it!?! (I speak about the warehouse...)

abcedarian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like I'm going crazy, but maybe someone has more information than me and can help me out.
I have the Skyward Sword demo and it looks worse on my tv than on internet videos, including those posted by other demo users.

Everything looks really REALLY jaggy, like, when there is an over the shoulder shot of someone talking to link and I am looking at link (i.e. right before bird ceremony), it's difficult to distinguish his facial features... there is certainly no way to determine mood, etc. If I put a video posted to Youtube on my tv (my computer hooked up via VGA cable) then everything is much clearer, etc.

Is there a known issue with 1st gen Wiis (I preordered) and the video output port? I have not been able to find anything online that talks about that.

I don't notice it much at all in other games (except, oddly enough Twilight Princess), but I haven't looked as closely at other games and their online videos either.

Any advice? Planning on trying out a couple games on my wii and someone else's on the same tv this weekend, but thought I would try to get a jump on that.

Netsi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like I'm going crazy, but maybe someone has more information than me and can help me out.
I have the Skyward Sword demo and it looks worse on my tv than on internet videos, including those posted by other demo users.

Everything looks really REALLY jaggy, like, when there is an over the shoulder shot of someone talking to link and I am looking at link (i.e. right before bird ceremony), it's difficult to distinguish his facial features... there is certainly no way to determine mood, etc. If I put a video posted to Youtube on my tv (my computer hooked up via VGA cable) then everything is much clearer, etc.

Is there a known issue with 1st gen Wiis (I preordered) and the video output port? I have not been able to find anything online that talks about that.

I don't notice it much at all in other games (except, oddly enough Twilight Princess), but I haven't looked as closely at other games and their online videos either.

Any advice? Planning on trying out a couple games on my wii and someone else's on the same tv this weekend, but thought I would try to get a jump on that.
how is your wii connected to the wii? SCART or YUV or even HDMI? mine is connected to scart, doesn't look good as well, but playable

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's because the videos on the internet of the demo are from Dolphin and NOT from a wii. Dolphin is an emulator and it allows you to render the graphics much higher than the wii (true HD and beyond)

abcedarian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

how is your wii connected to the wii? SCART or YUV or even HDMI? mine is connected to scart, doesn't look good as well, but playable

Connected with Component video cables (YUV)

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
koji2009 has your answer. Wii graphics pretty much blow. The ones that you've seen with better graphics are rendered using Dolphin on a PC. That's how they got mario galaxy in 1080p

domakesay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

i'm having the same problem, it looks nothing like other internet videos and pictures.
this is the only game i've seen this happen with, on my picture everything is jagged, i mean everything (i know its a wii so no comments)
all my other games have been ok, i'm using component and a hdtv, whilst i'm used to jaggies on my hdtv, this is pretty bad.
i look on youtube and peoples videos are much smoother...
yet i see virtually no one mention anything, i thought i would wait until the main release and check other peoples comments.
I have tried everything but its a mess, especially peoples faces, can't make out anything unless your up close or use first person view... :(

not all the videos and pictures are dolphin...... are they?
i thought you needed a really good pc to run it.
i only have an imac.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could do you some comparison pictures if you'd like of Wii versus Dolphin... but I can tell you if you're seeing a pixelated scene versus random videos on the internet... it's dolphin versus Wii.

If you haven't played your wii in a while it's easy to understand why you haven't noticed how bad the graphics of the system looks lately... but trust me, it's as it's always been.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gonna look good on the wiiu
Except it's been confirmed already that WiiU will NOT improve the graphics of Wii games. Wii games will run in a compatibility mode on Wii U just like DS games don't look better on the 3DS despite the 3DS having much higher res.

abcedarian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's because the videos on the internet of the demo are from Dolphin and NOT from a wii. Dolphin is an emulator and it allows you to render the graphics much higher than the wii (true HD and beyond)

You may be right, do reviewers use Dolphin also? Kotaku's video's seem much clearer also. I tried dolphin on my PC... but 4fps wasn't cutting it! So I can't compare exactly the way I'd like to.

I've been playing my Wii a decent amount, but this demo seems significantly worse than anything else. Ah well, It's not like I won't play the game still, it just seems like somethings wrong.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Except it's been confirmed already that WiiU will NOT improve the graphics of Wii games. Wii games will run in a compatibility mode on Wii U just like DS games don't look better on the 3DS despite the 3DS having much higher res.

So Wii games wont look any better on the WiiU? I think Nintendo may have missed a trick there..

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

So Wii games wont look any better on the WiiU? I think Nintendo may have missed a trick there..
Of course not. You can't make a DVD 1080p.

autopie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

wat

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Maybe not 1080p but surely they could've done something to make the games sharper?

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The problem is that re-rendering at a higher resolution can introduce a lot of issues/glitches that wouldn't be apparent/possible via unscaled. For example, try playing Wind Waker on Dolphin in the lava dungeon using high scaling. Up until recently you'd either get a completely distorted screen, or a forced low-res filtering effect that made the game look much much worse. I believe they have come up with a sort of workaround in dolphin now (virtual effect rendering) but it still looks awful and is much more hardware intensive...

So they'd either...

A: Retest everyone Wii/GCN game to make sure that scaling didn't break anything, and on games it did, implement some sort of workaround (a LOT of work)

B: Only allow up-resing of certain mainstream titles that Nintendo can test fully (Great solution on paper, but then you get lots of customer complaints that their favorite game isn't supported, which either leads to unhappy customers or back up to A)

C: Don't up-res at all, and make people play the games as they were designed.

C is the easiest, most accurate, and will leave the most amount of people un-butt hurt. Not ideal, but then again Dolphin works so well on even mid-level modern computers it's not much of an issue I'd think.

That said, there is always the chance that nintendo could do a 180 on this and add support later on, but from past generations and their current comments on Wii U, I wouldn't expect it.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they could... just look at the dolphin emu... increase the internal rez and it looks way batter...
Increasing the internal res works well 90% of the time, the other 10% it introduces graphic glitches (small) or completely destroys the image due to certain effects not properly scaling (if you directly apply a post-processing effect to a 640x480 image before it's rendered, and you try to scale it afterwards you will end up with some messed up graphics. I again point to my Wind Waker lava dungeon example)

Nintendo can't do a half in half out on games because that makes customers upset... It's very much an all or nothing, and nothing is by far the much cheaper option when there are literally thousands of games that would have to be tested from start to finish to make sure that there is nothing game breaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."