Skyrim's Dawnguard DLC now available

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
16132-images.jpg

Skyrim's first extension, Dawnguard, is now available for download on the Xbox 360 only. It will be available on the PS3 and the PC at a later date. Have you tried it yet? If you have, tell us what you think!

icon11.gif
Source
icon11.gif
Youtube video: how to start the quest
icon46.gif
Xbox Marketplace link

Reactions: 1 person

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pretty much no one got into in the beta :( http://www.gamespot.com/news/skyrim-dawnguard-beta-keys-given-to-under-1-percent-of-applicants-6382139

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've got it, and gone through the main quest in probably around 5 hours (10 hours indeed, psssh!)...
Erm... plenty new stuff! Dragon weapons, crafting arrows, crossbows, new enemies, shouts... all useful! It's just.... the main quest was a bit dull! Aside from the two bases, the only big new area was the Soul Cairn, pretty but empty..... and the quests involved a fair bit of 'finding xxx items in xxx room' Also the Vampire Lord transformation is slow, and once transformed feels clunky to attack, and floaty to control.

I'm a bit disappointed really.... Sure the extras for the real game are great (the crossbow is fantastic, even more fun whilst riding your horse), and yeah the quest in all honesty isn't as bad as I'm saying there, but 1600pts? 1200pts and I'd be well happy, 1600 is a wee bit too pricey.... feel a bit ripped off lol! ...Probably be worse for PS3 players, I can half see them trying to flog it to them for £15!
Not exactly up there with Shivering Isles for an expansion then - a bit pricey, but if you're still happy trudging through main course Skyrim the extras will be more than welcome!
Muffy rating.... ooooh....7/10??

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Question. Will this dlc break any progress I have in my skyrim file? Will I have to beat the main story to access the new stuff? I haven't beaten the main story yet.... (I've also never played any Elder Scrolls game with DLC.)

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Question. Will this dlc break any progress I have in my skyrim file? Will I have to beat the main story to access the new stuff? I haven't beaten the main story yet.... (I've also never played any Elder Scrolls game with DLC.)

No... it's rather like joining up with one of the factions: in this case the guards will tell you about it but otherwise you could quite happily play your normal game... in fact it might help if say you're an archer - crafting your arrows is a great addition!

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States

No... it's rather like joining up with one of the factions: in this case the guards will tell you about it but otherwise you could quite happily play your normal game... in fact it might help if say you're an archer - crafting your arrows is a great addition!
Oh ok. So this dlc is adding more to do basically, right? You can still freely do anything you want?

Zaertix

One Stop Nintendo Shop on Mixer!
Trophies
Website
mixer.com
XP
Country
United States

Oh ok. So this dlc is adding more to do basically, right? You can still freely do anything you want?

Yes of course.

Makoto03

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting so sick and tired of game companies punishing me for having a PS3, but giving Xbox 360 owners these 30+ day timed exclusives for their dlc content. First it was Call of Duty, now Bethesda is doing it. I just don't get the incentive of giving part of your fanbase the middle finger, especially when you know these games have already sold well and they don't need Microsoft's money. Its just so freaking annoying! >_

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting so sick and tired of game companies punishing me for having a PS3, but giving Xbox 360 owners these 30+ day timed exclusives for their dlc content. First it was Call of Duty, now Bethesda is doing it. I just don't get the incentive of giving part of your fanbase the middle finger, especially when you know these games have already sold well and they don't need Microsoft's money. Its just so freaking annoying! >_<

Yeah.. This isn't the first time it's happened, and forget CoD, that game sucks no matter what platform you're on, despite any DLC that's been released. This really isn't the first time Bethesda has done this to the PS3 platform, but what makes it different this time is the fact that it fucks over the PC demographic that plays the TES titles.

Personally, although I'm against it, I hope the content gets pirated like crazy because they decided to tell the PC users to screw off, that it's going to be on an inferior platform first. In my honest opinion, TES games are meant for the PC, consoles are just an afterthought. Although, the PC users did get the creation kit, which is nice I suppose.. It's really sad that there hasn't been any true ground breaking mods that add enjoyable content to the game, there's way too many tit mods.

If anyone wants to argue with me about the PC being the best platform for gaming, don't bother.. PC games get modding communities, unofficial patches for when the devs are too slow to fix things themselves, and the graphics look so much better than on a console. This extended console generation is really cementing the standard of game quality though for the time being, which in turn is holding back gaming on the PC. Also, please don't try to argue that using a keyboard and mouse for games is stupid and you don't want to do that, because you don't have to use keyboard and mouse..

My 360 pad works for a majority of modern games, and you can get it working on other titles through the use of programs like xpadder. About the only thing that I will use a keyboard and mouse for is games in the RTS genre, some RPGs, and shooters that require precision and absolute control.

You don't have to have a 5,000 USD computer to play games, it's quite easy to build a budget build for less than 1,000 USD that'll run everything that's out.. The only reason you see people throwing money at their computers for obscene upgrades is that they have other reasons for needing the specs besides gaming, or they just want it to say that they have it..

Makoto03

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i agree with most of what you said, but i'm just fine with my ps3. $1000 is still too much for a smaller screen experience. Heck, even $500 is too much.
I do kinda hope something happens that shows Bethesda that doing pointless deals with Microsoft, at the expense of other console users, is a bad business practice.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I'm getting so sick and tired of game companies punishing me for having a PS3, but giving Xbox 360 owners these 30+ day timed exclusives for their dlc content. First it was Call of Duty, now Bethesda is doing it. I just don't get the incentive of giving part of your fanbase the middle finger, especially when you know these games have already sold well and they don't need Microsoft's money. Its just so freaking annoying! >_<

Yeah.. This isn't the first time it's happened, and forget CoD, that game sucks no matter what platform you're on, despite any DLC that's been released. This really isn't the first time Bethesda has done this to the PS3 platform, but what makes it different this time is the fact that it fucks over the PC demographic that plays the TES titles.

Personally, although I'm against it, I hope the content gets pirated like crazy because they decided to tell the PC users to screw off, that it's going to be on an inferior platform first. In my honest opinion, TES games are meant for the PC, consoles are just an afterthought. Although, the PC users did get the creation kit, which is nice I suppose.. It's really sad that there hasn't been any true ground breaking mods that add enjoyable content to the game, there's way too many tit mods.

If anyone wants to argue with me about the PC being the best platform for gaming, don't bother.. PC games get modding communities, unofficial patches for when the devs are too slow to fix things themselves, and the graphics look so much better than on a console. This extended console generation is really cementing the standard of game quality though for the time being, which in turn is holding back gaming on the PC. Also, please don't try to argue that using a keyboard and mouse for games is stupid and you don't want to do that, because you don't have to use keyboard and mouse..

My 360 pad works for a majority of modern games, and you can get it working on other titles through the use of programs like xpadder. About the only thing that I will use a keyboard and mouse for is games in the RTS genre, some RPGs, and shooters that require precision and absolute control.

You don't have to have a 5,000 USD computer to play games, it's quite easy to build a budget build for less than 1,000 USD that'll run everything that's out.. The only reason you see people throwing money at their computers for obscene upgrades is that they have other reasons for needing the specs besides gaming, or they just want it to say that they have it..

like in my case my custom built pc i am getting is only costing my $480 it's not breaking the bank and it runs skyrim on high/ultra settings which is more than enough.

there is no comparison between the console and pc versions, pc version will always be highly superior because of customization and mods, also not all the mods are sexually explicit stuff, there are some decent mods too which i can't wait to try out once my new pc arrives :D

Bethesda have always been that way when it comes to the ps3, they have given us buggy games and they delay content for both the fallout and elder scrolls series, it's just the way they have always been.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i agree with most of what you said, but i'm just fine with my ps3. $1000 is still too much for a smaller screen experience. Heck, even $500 is too much.
I do kinda hope something happens that shows Bethesda that doing pointless deals with Microsoft, at the expense of other console users, is a bad business practice.

with today's pc's you don't have to play on a 15" pc monitor, with my setup i have a 32" sony bravia and 1080p, no where near 15" is it?

i have also heard that the dlc is very buggy and another annoying feature *spoilers* master vampires randomly come into the towns and kill all npcs even inside the shops they kill shopkeepers too! the only way i am going to play this dlc is to make all npcs in all towns essential so they don't die lol, the dragons annoy me to no end already.

Makoto03

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

with today's pc's you don't have to play on a 15" pc monitor, with my setup i have a 32" sony bravia and 1080p, no where near 15" is it?

i have also heard that the dlc is very buggy and another annoying feature *spoilers* master vampires randomly come into the towns and kill all npcs even inside the shops they kill shopkeepers too! the only way i am going to play this dlc is to make all npcs in all towns essential so they don't die lol, the dragons annoy me to no end already.
oh dang that doesn't sound good. i don't like random dragon attacks much either and i would be pissed if npcs were killed like that.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
oh dang that doesn't sound good. i don't like random dragon attacks much either and i would be pissed if npcs were killed like that.

no it doesn't sound good and the thing is console users are stuck with this problem until Bethesda fix it, so you are going to have to endure it or not play it at all till a fix comes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16