Skype keeps crashing, am I the only one?

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
well the webcam disable trick did not fix the problem either :(
Skype still crashes about 5 times/day.
it seems linked to the Windows Explorer because when I open an explorer Window, about 1/10th of the times Skype will freeze for about 1 minute then finally crash for no apparent reason.

There's this one time I clicked "Debug" after a crash, it opened Visual Studio, but I wasnt able to get any particular info except some DLL reference, it said something about ntldr.dll ... but nothing useful just a bunch of numbers.

I cannot downgrade because I have critical skype conversations with customers so I can't take the risk of it not working properly. It only crashes when I browse my computer (which I don't do during calls).

Yes, it freezed for me too when I opened an explorer window. The best part was that sometimes Skype garbled the video output on freezing, softlocking the ENTIRE system!

Btw, have you tried changing the sound devices in Skype? What kind of soundcard/chip do you have?
(sometimes you can see it in dxdiag)

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Yes, it freezed for me too when I opened an explorer window. The best part was that sometimes Skype garbled the video output on freezing, softlocking the ENTIRE system!

Btw, have you tried changing the sound devices in Skype? What kind of soundcard/chip do you have?
(sometimes you can see it in dxdiag)

I use several audio devices but I haven't noticed a particular pattern yet.
Also, it happens on two different computers (although I only have one now so can't test both), windows 8.1 and the other was windows 10.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah for years now skype has gone rapidly downhill in terms of quality of the program. Time was it was only the nasty cat5 coupler I had that caused troubles.

What is the CPU activity during one of the lock up phases? For one of my Linux installs it crashes outright if I have a particular webcam in and someone ends the call (regardless of whether I actually have it active). If I end the call with it in then it can be better, if I pull the camera before the call ends then it sometimes works and sometimes goes to 100% CPU for one CPU core but actually remains with a functional UI. I can't remember having such quirks and rituals for a program since windows 95/98 days.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
it seems they have released a new version a few weeks ago that .. FOR NOW... fixes my issues :D
I dont wanna jinx it but so far so good !

Reactions: Jayro

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
it seems they have released a new version a few weeks ago that .. FOR NOW... fixes my issues :D
I dont wanna jinx it but so far so good !

Welp, you were lucky then :P No working Skype versions fix my issue, so I'm using the mobile version (which is also broken), or web.skype.com, which is the most functional version of Skype which is not banned out of usage (like old versions have been that have no AD module)

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Welp, you were lucky then :P No working Skype versions fix my issue, so I'm using the mobile version (which is also broken), or web.skype.com, which is the most functional version of Skype which is not banned out of usage (like old versions have been that have no AD module)
Add "0.0.0.0 apps.skype.com" to your hosts file and you won't have ads. On Windows, there will still be a placeholder box for the ads, but this can be disabled by editing the corresponding XML array in the user configuration file in AppData.

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Add "0.0.0.0 apps.skype.com" to your hosts file and you won't have ads. On Windows, there will still be a placeholder box for the ads, but this can be disabled by editing the corresponding XML array in the user configuration file in AppData.

Well, I have the most ancient Skype version possible, so I don't have an option to disable the ads in the XML config file :(

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
'cause older versions are "banned", and newer version look bad imo, and I use web.skype.com anyways :P
Only the sign-in of old versions is banned... As a trick, if you install an older version of Skype running alongside the latest, it'll allow you to sign in with the latest version, and then continue on using the older version (the same credentials are used, Microsoft just disallow those to be granted to unsupported versions of Skype).

+1 Skype for Web - though I've also had very little trouble with the OSX client too (ironic right?)

Reactions: Joom

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."