granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
17199.JPG
Activision is working on a half reboot, half spinoff to the Spyro the Dragon franchise. After the Legend of Spyro series, the franchise appears to be taking a huge departure in terms of gameplay. Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure gives Spyro a complete physical makeover along with new comrades, gameplay, abilities, and plot. The game is being developed cross platform for PS3, 360, PC, Wii, and 3DS and is published by Activision. The game is unique for the way it handles playable characters. While it is a video game, the game comes with a physical platform which connects to the console. You can place figurines (which you purchase in store) on the platform and send that particular character into the game. This is how you unlock new characters to play as (sort of a form of physical DLC you could say). The statues will not only function as unlockable characters, but the game will store your characters' stats inside the statue itself (via some sort of internal media built into the figures themselves). So you can level up your characters and store the data inside the model. This makes it possible to transfer the character and its stats to other systems and other players' games. The figures themselves will function with any version of the game on any system. For example, the character being played as in the Wii version can transfer to the 3DS version with its stats intact. Today, we got the first glimpses of the Nintendo Wii and Nintendo 3DS versions in video form. I'll also provide some notes within the spoiler tags as well. [/p]

The Nintendo Wii version seems to be identical in gameplay and level design to the PS3, 360, and PC counterparts. The only difference here appears to be the Wii's lower resolution (perhaps some lighting or other misc graphical effects). The gameplay is actually somewhat reminiscent of Gauntlet of all things, specifically the Dark Legacy game. It's a linear action game that places enemies in your way which you must destroy using a variety of characters. It contains some minor amounts of platforming, though very much unlike any previous Spyro game before it. Seems to be arcade style and looks geared towards children (especially considering the toy system they're developing with it). It is also said all console versions of the game will include multiplayer co op. The Wii version appears to have some basic motion controls implemented for certain tasks. [/p]

The 3DS version is a different experience from the console versions. It's still a fully 3D game. Though this version has unique level design and appears to contain much more platforming than the console version. There is still combat, but you seem to be jumping around a lot more. It is said that this is to make a more tailor made experience to use with the 3D effect, which enhances depth perception and makes platforming feel more natural. The camera is also zoomed in closer and tilted downward to be more on level with the character's back (more like a traditional platformer and less of an overhead view like the console versions). Overall, the gameplay seems more reminiscent of the Crash Bandicoot series with a set path to follow and a few enemies to dispatch. The visuals are lacking, giving more of a relatively early PSP graphics vibe rather than something you might see from a more seasoned 3DS developer (considering what the handheld can do). Developer Vicarious Visions doesn't seem to be pushing the 3DS hardware very hard, as there is noticeable popup of distant AND close up objects and platforms (plus some minor fog to partially obscure long draw distances) as well as basic character circle shadows and virtually non-existent lighting. Graphically, the game is clearly lacking compared to the console versions. Visuals aren't terrible, but they are very basic. It's certainly not taking any advantage of the 3DS' superior visual effects and hardware whatsoever. Still, this is the first clean and lengthy footage we've seen from this version so far, so there's your first look. To its credit, the game appears to have more diverse gameplay than its console cousins surprisingly. [/p]
icon11.gif
Source

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't have minded any sort of redesigns as long as the game was decent. But this is really bland looking (sorry, i wanted to keep any opinions out of the article, so i'll post it here). The game looks like a more boring version of gauntlet. And the toy system is a really pathetic way of getting kids to spend more money on it.

Not to mention, the 3DS version will be something like $60 (you pay extra for the portal and your figure starter kit). I seriously doubt the game will be at all worth that.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Now that you mention it? It does kind of remind me of gauntlet... Speaking of which, I'd love to see a reboot of the arcade version... Not seven sorrows, mind you. I love platformers and adventure games, this also reminds me a bit of Vexx. So, I don't know.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I looks decent and seems fun.

There's so many people tagging it as a bad game because it's not the Spyro they love.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ikki said:
I looks decent and seems fun.

There's so many people tagging it as a bad game because it's not the Spyro they love.
I'm mostly judging it based on the gameplay, not due to prior experience with Spyro. Sure the original Spyro is awesome, but this one doesn't even look that great based on its own merits. My immediate impression of the console version was that it looked like a Gauntlet clone (though less hectic and easier). It doesn't look too bad, but i figure it'll be overpriced based on the toy figurine system they've got going on. The 3DS being $60 is ridiculously (which is for the portal and a character starter kit).

It's odd, i'm more interested in the 3DS version. It's not all that pretty, but the game looks a bit funner to play. Of course i'm a sucker for 3D platformers, so whatever. I won't pass judgement until i have a go with any version. I might try out the PC version or something.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
granville said:
I'm mostly judging it based on the gameplay, not due to prior experience with Spyro. Sure the original Spyro is awesome, but this one doesn't even look that great based on its own merits. My immediate impression of the console version was that it looked like a Gauntlet clone (though less hectic and easier). It doesn't look too bad, but i figure it'll be overpriced based on the toy figurine system they've got going on. The 3DS being $60 is ridiculously (which is for the portal and a character starter kit).

It's odd, i'm more interested in the 3DS version. It's not all that pretty, but the game looks a bit funner to play. Of course i'm a sucker for 3D platformers, so whatever. I won't pass judgement until i have a go with any version. I might try out the PC version or something.
Oh I wasn't pointing any fingers.
Also, I was talking about the 3DS version, which looks more simple and fun (even though I do like the Wii version too now that I watched the video). And I don't really like the toy system. I find it rather ridiculous and it's the reason why I probably won't get the game. I mean, I think the toy saving your character is pretty cool, but I don't see why one would swap between systems to play.

Oh, another thing I dig about the game is the variety of characters. It's always cool to be able to pick the one you like the most.

QUOTE(Hyro-Sama @ Aug 3 2011, 03:39 AM) WOW. I want a Crash Bandicoot game. Not another Spyro game. Let the series rest in peace. It ended on a very good note.
Swap Crash Bandicoot with Spyro and that post would make the exact same amount of sense.

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game looks pretty fun, But the price is ridiculous...
I'd buy it for 30-40 bucks, not for 60....

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
what a snorefest, and in both videos there is no spyro, so why is spyro in the main title then? it's like the game Rayman Raving Rabbids, there is only rabbits but rayman is nowhere to be found!

dmace81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They better have a shitload of toy characters for this like 100 or more would be nice... Probably be more like 10.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :shy: