Gaming Skylanders has just wiped my homebrew channel

SolidMetal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got My daughter Skylanders this xmas and when the disc was put in it wanted to do an update which stated would also look for unauthorized content on the wii, well i tried to stop this and now my homebrew channels gone!!!! i can still use my usb drive but can't play skylanders off the drive it won't pick up the usb dongle for the game, so she's not been able to play the thing, we paid alot for all the figures and for the game, is there a way that i can reset the wii and take all the homebrew off and start again?

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use the hackmii installer to reinstall your hbc; this can be done by placing the boot.dol for the hackmii installer in the folder where your usb forwarder channel is looking just rename the temp rename the other boot.dol and load up the forwarder channel and reinstall. I would just use ModMii to obtain the latest d2x cIOS and see where that goes. Also could you post a system check since you updated to see if anything got STUB? you may also want to include it into spoiler tags.

EDIT: for the future you may want to use Priiloader hacks to block all updates :) or just install a Custom System Menu so your not prompted again to update it (don't think there is going to be an update) cause as far as I'm aware the SM is the only thing that detects and removes hacks. I could be wrong here so please correct me if so.

SolidMetal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the reply, but is there a way that i can just do a complete fresh softmod hack? if so what files would i need? just as if i was going to do it from scratch. just looked on the wii system and it now say's ver 4.3U, this is an ntsc console, so it has updated, i really just want to do a complete re-fresh install.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you basically are doing it from scratch, the update would remove all cIOS files by overwriting them with stubs. Get ModMii and rehack from the start. All you need is an SD card and internet access.

Reactions: 1 person

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have bootmii:boot2? If not then it's a complete risk and could leave you a brick but yes it's possible. Here is giantpunes app:
1.gif
7.gif
9.gif
6.gif

You could always use ModMii to rehack your Wii telling it that your Wii is a virgin and has not been hack and it will give you the same results.

SolidMetal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shit, would hate to brick the wii, so do you have a link for the modmii, and can i wipe the sd card to store all fresh content, also a quick guide would help, thanks, it's been a long time since i hacked this wii, i did it when the twilight hack was the way to go lol, so you can see it's been a while.

SolidMetal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
found the modmii, looked at the guide, but it does not mention the 4.3 version just goes to 4.2, and also would i have to click as a virgin wii, even though it's already soft modded?

SolidMetal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lord i don't know what the F@#$K i'm doing, ok this is what i want to do first, i want to run the skylander disc and let it do it's thing, but it gives me the warning that if any unauthorized content is found it will make it unworkable, and may lead to other discs not loading no more, thats what scares me in doing it, but if i don't run it, then i can never load skylanders, and this thing cost me alot, so if i do run this, would it brick my wii?

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
the update will not brick the wii
but it will again remove hbc + softmod

install priiloader and block updates (its in modmii too)

SolidMetal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok guys this is the situation so far, last night before i went to bed i did the update the game wanted, after the console restarted the skylanders game showed up in the disc menu, my homebrew channel is gone my usb forward channel is still there along with the backup disc channel but none work. i loaded up the modmii and answered the questions and it downloaded the files it said i needed to do the softmod, i am going with using the lego batman, thats the only origional game i have from that list., i am reading over the guide a few times before i begin.

SolidMetal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, my wii is back in buisness, thanks for the help guys, that modmii is a great tool, like i said, it's been a long time since i softmodded the wii, back in the twilight hack days.
i really should keep upto date with it all, but i have been really busy with work and that. anyway my daughter will be a very happy little girl, now she's got all her games on the usb hdd and her skylanders works.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm starting to see why nintendo isn't releasing more anti-piracy stuff...the current ones are still effective somewhat.

(even though the HBC was updated a few days after the release of 4.3...and that is more than a year ago by now).

Glad things are back okay right now.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm starting to see why nintendo isn't releasing more anti-piracy stuff...the current ones are still effective somewhat.

(even though the HBC was updated a few days after the release of 4.3...and that is more than a year ago by now).

Glad things are back okay right now.
It was actually a over a month before they released an update to the HBC.
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu_4.3
http://hackmii.com/2010/07/hackmii-installer-v0-7/

peterg19

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a relatively old setup (over 4 years old but updated to 4.3). The real disk still wanted to run an update. I used my loader (Configurable Loader) to dump the disk onto the hard drive. That takes care of the disk requesting to update. I then needed to configure the game to use ios223. Had no problem running. If you use any other usb things (microphones, etc) use whatever ios works for that.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
@JoostinOnline: oops. I stand corrected. :shy:

@peterg19: disks will always want to do an update if it detects any (c)IOS on your wii that has a lower number than that is on the disk. So unless whatever's in spot 249 has a hacked high number, it will ask that update. While running it from disk is a good workaround, it is not the only option. It's also possible to install priiloader and enable the hacks that block the online and the disk updates. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."