Skybound Entertainment to assist Telltale in getting The Walking Dead's final season completed

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Oct 7, 2018.

Front-page
    header_iMekRBv-460x215.jpg

Despite the sudden dissolution of story-based game developer Telltale, their series of The Walking Dead has found a way to reach a conclusion. Skybound Entertainment will be taking charge of creating the last episodes of The Walking Dead: The Final Season, in order to give the story an actual finale to leave off on, instead of an awkward cliffhanger. Skybound Entertainment itself was created by Robert Kirkman, who created The Walking Dead comic series. Their gaming division is known for publishing mostly mobile titles, with Oxenfree being their most well known. Currently, Skybound plans to keep the Final Season development team from Telltale together, to have them create the game, while also overseeing development and publishing it. Presumably, this means that the game will be returning to digital storefronts, from which they were pulled once it became known that Telltale had laid off nearly all of its staff.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (20 replies)
  1. Vieela

Vieela GBATemp's official thinker™

Jan 18, 2017
    Brazil
    It is sad to see Telltale Games go. It had a really nice premise, but bad management leads to failure, and this isn't any new talk. Hope some business take the episodic method that telltale games used to have (apart from Dontnot with LIS)

2. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N Resident Weirdo

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    Not a particular fan of Telltale Games or The Walking Dead in general, but it's nice to know that the devs care enough to at least give fans a proper finale to the series.

Sad to see a studio, especially one as well-known as Telltale, go under though. Hopefully any staff will be able to find jobs at other studios in the near-future.

gnmmarechal, KingVamp, NFates and 3 others like this.
  3. Zanoab

Zanoab GBAtemp Regular

Dec 4, 2009
    United States
    What devs? The original devs have all moved on.

4. LittleFlame

LittleFlame I was way off, you guys suck

Jan 30, 2015
    Netherlands
    The Death Road to Canada
    the 25 left behind

5. Shalashaska98

Shalashaska98 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2018
    United States
    I started playing TWD at first, then figured I had to replay it to see all endings, so ended up watching the rest as gameplay on YouTube since the game doesn't require that interaction anyway. But it's good to see they are gonna finish the game. Maybe they'll come back one day like THQ

6. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    I'm sure they will be fine, demand seems good for devs right now.

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N likes this.
  7. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    F*ck YES! Hopefully we get physical copies of the entire Walking Dead series for the Switch. I'm really gonna miss Tell Tale. At one time, my OUYA was nothing but a glorified Tell Tale machine and I was loving every minute of it! I have S1 of Batman and Minecraft for the Switch. Really want to add more Tell Tale physical copies to my shelf.

8. Zanoab

Zanoab GBAtemp Regular

Dec 4, 2009
    United States

Less than 25. Another team in the skeleton crew was laid off a few days ago and who knows how many more were laid off since then.

Last edited by Zanoab, Oct 7, 2018
    LittleFlame likes this.
  9. Wrathcaster

Wrathcaster Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 8, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I really doubt there will be any physical copies now, considering the situation compared to production cost ect. This article just states this temporary situation was to make sure the walking dead gets a proper ending the fans deserve by keeping the remaining devs together until finished.

Last edited by Wrathcaster, Oct 7, 2018
  10. kingfrost

kingfrost GBAtemp Regular

May 29, 2018
    United States
    This is good news, although I haven't played any of TWD games since the end of Season 2. I felt that Season 2 already was milking it far too much and ruined the ambiguous ending of the 1st season to tell a rather half-baked story.

Still I'm glad it'll be finished, and hopefully people who already paid for it will still get it

11. anakinvm

anakinvm GBAtemp Regular

Jun 30, 2008
    United States
    Season 3 is even worse but the 2 already released episodes of season 4 are really great so you might want to give the series a second chance maybe.

12. kingfrost

May 29, 2018
    United States
    Thanks I may have to check it out. Does it require me to play through Season 3 to make any important choices or are they all pretty much window dressing like the previous entry?

13. anakinvm

anakinvm GBAtemp Regular

Jun 30, 2008
    United States
    If you don't transfer your previous choices or haven't played some seasons it will make you select what you would've done in the most important events of the previous games before starting episode 1, they're quite important this time but they still won't take the focus out from the new story.

14. whateverg1012

whateverg1012 Fringe Weaver

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    VA-11 Hall-A
    This is the only telltale game I cared about so glad it's getting finished. Really sucks for the employees though.

kingfrost likes this.
  15. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    I kind of wish, they would just continue the whole company. Not just to end this series.

16. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    Maybe they'll band together and make games out of other people's IP's.
    You know, if you only work with other company's source material, you won't have a long future.
    They should have started their own thing a while ago. What was stopping them to create their own stories?
    Lazyess?

I don't feel a thing for them, mostly because the premisse never caught my interest. In my view they didn't make games but interactive books. As good as they were, I prefer books.

kingfrost likes this.
  17. kingfrost

May 29, 2018
    United States
    I agree. I also like some mainly text based interactive function now.

I also thought of Telltale as a gateway drug to a wonderful world of interactive storytelling.

I think it was just easier for them and I did play their GOT and Borderlands attempts and the GOT was awful and boring to me. The Borderlands one was at least actually fun and trialed some interesting additions that never went anywhere outside it afaik

18. digipimp75

digipimp75 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2014
    United States
    Hundreds of people lost their jobs and will need to find work to provide for their families, yet all I see on Twitter and various forum posts are concerns from gamers about whether their precious game will be completed. Unbelievable.

Zanoab likes this.
  19. kingfrost

May 29, 2018
    United States

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but didn't some people already pay for that game. If that's the case I can hardly blame them.

Also I'm not going to feel bad. I'm not the management team and owners of the company they worked for or a person who can hire them. My sympathy would be well meaning but ultimately useless.

Last edited by kingfrost, Oct 8, 2018
    digipimp75 likes this.