Skybound Entertainment to assist Telltale in getting The Walking Dead's final season completed

header_iMekRBv-460x215.jpg

Despite the sudden dissolution of story-based game developer Telltale, their series of The Walking Dead has found a way to reach a conclusion. Skybound Entertainment will be taking charge of creating the last episodes of The Walking Dead: The Final Season, in order to give the story an actual finale to leave off on, instead of an awkward cliffhanger. Skybound Entertainment itself was created by Robert Kirkman, who created The Walking Dead comic series. Their gaming division is known for publishing mostly mobile titles, with Oxenfree being their most well known. Currently, Skybound plans to keep the Final Season development team from Telltale together, to have them create the game, while also overseeing development and publishing it. Presumably, this means that the game will be returning to digital storefronts, from which they were pulled once it became known that Telltale had laid off nearly all of its staff.

:arrow: Source

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It is sad to see Telltale Games go. It had a really nice premise, but bad management leads to failure, and this isn't any new talk. Hope some business take the episodic method that telltale games used to have (apart from Dontnot with LIS)

D

Deleted User

Not a particular fan of Telltale Games or The Walking Dead in general, but it's nice to know that the devs care enough to at least give fans a proper finale to the series.

Sad to see a studio, especially one as well-known as Telltale, go under though. Hopefully any staff will be able to find jobs at other studios in the near-future.

HideoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I started playing TWD at first, then figured I had to replay it to see all endings, so ended up watching the rest as gameplay on YouTube since the game doesn't require that interaction anyway. But it's good to see they are gonna finish the game. Maybe they'll come back one day like THQ

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
F*ck YES! Hopefully we get physical copies of the entire Walking Dead series for the Switch. I'm really gonna miss Tell Tale. At one time, my OUYA was nothing but a glorified Tell Tale machine and I was loving every minute of it! I have S1 of Batman and Minecraft for the Switch. Really want to add more Tell Tale physical copies to my shelf.

Zanoab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the 25 left behind

Less than 25. Another team in the skeleton crew was laid off a few days ago and who knows how many more were laid off since then.

Last edited by Zanoab,
Reactions: LittleFlame

Wrathcaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
F*ck YES! Hopefully we get physical copies of the entire Walking Dead series for the Switch. I'm really gonna miss Tell Tale. At one time, my OUYA was nothing but a glorified Tell Tale machine and I was loving every minute of it! I have S1 of Batman and Minecraft for the Switch. Really want to add more Tell Tale physical copies to my shelf.

I really doubt there will be any physical copies now, considering the situation compared to production cost ect. This article just states this temporary situation was to make sure the walking dead gets a proper ending the fans deserve by keeping the remaining devs together until finished.

Last edited by Wrathcaster,

kingfrost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is good news, although I haven't played any of TWD games since the end of Season 2. I felt that Season 2 already was milking it far too much and ruined the ambiguous ending of the 1st season to tell a rather half-baked story.

Still I'm glad it'll be finished, and hopefully people who already paid for it will still get it

Deleted member 129634

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is good news, although I haven't played any of TWD games since the end of Season 2. I felt that Season 2 already was milking it far too much and ruined the ambiguous ending of the 1st season to tell a rather half-baked story.

Still I'm glad it'll be finished, and hopefully people who already paid for it will still get it
Season 3 is even worse but the 2 already released episodes of season 4 are really great so you might want to give the series a second chance maybe.

kingfrost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Season 3 is even worse but the 2 already released episodes of season 4 are really great so you might want to give the series a second chance maybe.

Thanks I may have to check it out. Does it require me to play through Season 3 to make any important choices or are they all pretty much window dressing like the previous entry?

Deleted member 129634

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks I may have to check it out. Does it require me to play through Season 3 to make any important choices or are they all pretty much window dressing like the previous entry?
If you don't transfer your previous choices or haven't played some seasons it will make you select what you would've done in the most important events of the previous games before starting episode 1, they're quite important this time but they still won't take the focus out from the new story.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Maybe they'll band together and make games out of other people's IP's.
You know, if you only work with other company's source material, you won't have a long future.
They should have started their own thing a while ago. What was stopping them to create their own stories?
Lazyess?

I don't feel a thing for them, mostly because the premisse never caught my interest. In my view they didn't make games but interactive books. As good as they were, I prefer books.

Reactions: kingfrost

kingfrost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe they'll band together and make games out of other people's IP's.
You know, if you only work with other company's source material, you won't have a long future.
They should have started their own thing a while ago. What was stopping them to create their own stories?
Lazyess?

I don't feel a thing for them, mostly because the premisse never caught my interest. In my view they didn't make games but interactive books. As good as they were, I prefer books.

I agree. I also like some mainly text based interactive function now.

I also thought of Telltale as a gateway drug to a wonderful world of interactive storytelling.

I think it was just easier for them and I did play their GOT and Borderlands attempts and the GOT was awful and boring to me. The Borderlands one was at least actually fun and trialed some interesting additions that never went anywhere outside it afaik

digipimp75

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hundreds of people lost their jobs and will need to find work to provide for their families, yet all I see on Twitter and various forum posts are concerns from gamers about whether their precious game will be completed. Unbelievable.

Reactions: Zanoab

kingfrost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hundreds of people lost their jobs and will need to find work to provide for their families, yet all I see on Twitter and various forum posts are concerns from gamers about whether their precious game will be completed. Unbelievable.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but didn't some people already pay for that game. If that's the case I can hardly blame them.

Also I'm not going to feel bad. I'm not the management team and owners of the company they worked for or a person who can hire them. My sympathy would be well meaning but ultimately useless.

Last edited by kingfrost,
Reactions: digipimp75

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all