[sky3ds] Why does there's an eShop game on the template file?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Ryuzaki_MrL, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Ryuzaki_MrL
    OP

Ryuzaki_MrL Furry Addict

Jun 23, 2015
    Brazil
    I found Mario vs Donkey Kong Tipping Stars on the template file, both europe and japanese versions. But as far as I know, the retail version for this game was only released in Japan.
    So I've downloaded the european version and wrote the game with diskwriter 2.02b (it recognized the game as EEPROM and corrected the name - which was Mario vs Donkey Kong (Europe))
    I turned on my 3DS with the Sky3DS and cycled through the games until the Mario vs Donkey Kong, but it didn't show up. Nothing was shown and the sky3DS buttom stopped working, I had to delete the game for it to function again...
    So, why does Mario vs Donkey Kong is included in the template file since it's an eshop title?
    What if I download the Japanese rom and test with regionFOUR?
    I'm very confused with this...

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The Sky3DS is only compatible with cartridge images, eShop games don't work on it due to the fact that they have a different structure. If possible, run a CFW in addition to the Sky3DS to play eShop titles.

3. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United States
    Bullet Hell
    Yeah, what he's saying is despite the Euro version being e-shop only the Sky3ds team have added a template entry for it (for them to add it to the template implies IT IS a cartridge release).

Very intriguing...

4. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    Use ninjahax 2.0 to run the jpn version

5. Ryuzaki_MrL
    OP

Ryuzaki_MrL Furry Addict

Jun 23, 2015
    Brazil
    I've downloaded the japanese retail rom
    My sky3DS has the auto-scrolling bug, so I need to stop the game by holding down the buttom
    I booted the Homebrew Launcher and inserted my sky3DS, the games started to auto-scroll (as it always did)
    Then I stop on Mario vs DK and open with the region free launcher.
    I always get a black screen, then the sky3DS starts flashing again (indicating that it is auto-scrolling again)
    My 3DS gets stuck on the black screen and I have to hard-reset...

So, what the heck is happening here? :unsure:

6. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    What's your firmware

7. Ryuzaki_MrL
    OP

Ryuzaki_MrL Furry Addict

Jun 23, 2015
    Brazil
    9.8.0-25E
    It's working now, how odd...
    However it gets stuck at "preparing save data", so I changed the rom back to EEPROM-YES (it was EEPROM-NO) and now it's saving
    I noticed that games with 256mb/128mb size doesn't saves properly as EEPROM-NO

8. foolalay

foolalay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2015
    United States
    It was probably added by accident. A lot of the games added to the template have their data sent by Sky3ds users, so it's possible the team just didn't check before they updated it.

9. Tex_McBladeSword

Tex_McBladeSword Im Insane! From Earth!

May 16, 2015
    United States
    Wherever I am Needed
    Wait, so the game DID start up eventually? Then the Sky3DS has the ability to add eshop games to the template?

10. Ryuzaki_MrL
    OP

Ryuzaki_MrL Furry Addict

Jun 23, 2015
    Brazil
    No, sky3DS can't run eshop games.
    The game I was trying to play is Mario vs Donkey Kong Tipping Stars, which is eshop only on EU and US
    In Japan, however, the game was released in cartridge form, so I'm using the japanese rom with regionFOUR and now it's working
    But it seems sky3DS team added the european version of the game in the template file accidentally, which doesn't works because it's an eshop rom

11. Tex_McBladeSword

Tex_McBladeSword Im Insane! From Earth!

May 16, 2015
    United States
    Wherever I am Needed
    Ah, gotcha.

12. cocoPika

cocoPika GBAtemp Regular

Dec 2, 2014
    Canada
    SKY3DS can play Eshop with rxTools or Spoof Firmware on 4.0-9.2