Hacking Sky3DS - save game question

markmcrobie

OP
Trophies
XP
If I remove a game from the SD card, do I need to manually backup it's .sav file if I then want to put that game back on the SD in future? Or do the save games remain on there even if I remove the .3ds file?

hydro91

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Is it possible to decide the order of the ROMs?
So I don't have to switch so often to reach my fav games

delt31

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait each time I change the game I need to backup the save? I thought sky offers multirom support and with the press of a button I get a new game loaded. Are you saying each press, you lose the game save if you don't back it up and put on your PC? Do you then need to put it on your sky card to use it again?

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait each time I change the game I need to backup the save? I thought sky offers multirom support and with the press of a button I get a new game loaded. Are you saying each press, you lose the game save if you don't back it up and put on your PC? Do you then need to put it on your sky card to use it again?

It does...you ONLY need to backup your save if your going to remove it from the Sky3ds card. Before you remove make sure to backup the save with the diskwriter tool.

markmcrobie

OP
Trophies
XP
Could this "backup of saves" method be used if I wanted to have 2 saves, say one for me and one for my son? Would it still work if I renamed the .sav file to <original name>_dad.sav? Or does the original filename of the .sav file matter?

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could this "backup of saves" method be used if I wanted to have 2 saves, say one for me and one for my son? Would it still work if I renamed the .sav file to <original name>_dad.sav? Or does the original filename of the .sav file matter?

I see no reason why it would not work. I know that a few games like animal crossing have a weird save system but I'm sure the software itself can get around this. It would be worth a test.

RobesNo1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes it does work, but another idea would be to just have the game twice, on two separate SD cards, that way you wouldn't need a PC every time you wanted to swap between your save and your sons.

markmcrobie

OP
Trophies
XP
Yes it does work, but another idea would be to just have the game twice, on two separate SD cards, that way you wouldn't need a PC every time you wanted to swap between your save and your sons.

Yes, I did consider that idea, since I have too many (different) games anyway that he and I want to play, given the 31 game limit. It would make sense that he has 31 games he wants on his SD card and I have 31 I want on my SD card.

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I did consider that idea, since I have too many (different) games anyway that he and I want to play, given the 31 game limit. It would make sense that he has 31 games he wants on his SD card and I have 31 I want on my SD card.

Pressing the button 31 times is going to be a pain.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I see no reason why it would not work. I know that a few games like animal crossing have a weird save system but I'm sure the software itself can get around this. It would be worth a test.

For Non EEPROM save type games (card2) like animal Crossing and Pokemon ORA X/Y you have to backup the whole rom from your SD with diskwriter, this come on how the game saves, it saves on a little space in the rom itself reserved for that.
So if you want to backup those saves, in diskwriter choose backup game (or rom) and that's it, if you want to flash this game again, be sure to write the backup you made and not a version from your games folder

markmcrobie

OP
Trophies
XP
For Non EEPROM save type games (card2) like animal Crossing and Pokemon ORA X/Y you have to backup the whole rom from your SD with diskwriter, this come on how the game saves, it saves on a little space in the rom itself reserved for that.
So if you want to backup those saves, in diskwriter choose backup game (or rom) and that's it, if you want to flash this game again, be sure to write the backup you made and not a version from your games folder

Ok, but what happens to a card2 game if I right click it and choose "Backup save"? I realise it'll backup the whole ROM, but will it still just be a .sav file? If so, presumably I deleted the game and re-added it later using the ROM in my existing games folder, then restored the .sav file, it would still work (albeit this would be unnecessary)?

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Ok, but what happens to a card2 game if I right click it and choose "Backup save"? I realise it'll backup the whole ROM, but will it still just be a .sav file? If so, presumably I deleted the game and re-added it later using the ROM in my existing games folder, then restored the .sav file, it would still work (albeit this would be unnecessary)?
when you do that, if i can remeber, you get a 0kb save file and an error, you have to choose backup rom/game.

and you best keep it in a seperate folder, so you know you have to write back that rom if you don't you have to start as new.

markmcrobie

OP
Trophies
XP
when you do that, if i can remeber, you get a 0kb save file and an error, you have to choose backup rom/game.

and you best keep it in a seperate folder, so you know you have to write back that rom if you don't you have to start as new.

I did a backup of my Animal Crossing save file in DiskWriter and it resulted in a 10MB .sav file

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.