Hacking Sky3DS Save Backup and Restore

abaddon41_80

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question, to use the Save Backup and Restore options, for the whole microSD and not individual games, do you have to make sure you have the exact same games in the exact same order on the microSD card when you restore it as when you created the backup file? I am trying to restore the saves on my brother's 9.4 3DS and I am getting an error message saying, "Save files number does not match the number of game file."

I am not sure if this means the games are not the same, meaning the file numbers don't match for some of the backups, or if it means the amount of save files in the restore file does not match the number of games on the microSD. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

donkeymilk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've only done limited testing, but yes, the whole game cart backup method expects the same games to be in the cart when you restore. I also think it might want them in the same order. I messed with it a bit and it threw an error about the cart not having the same games (I only deleted one).

Before you mangle your good card, back up your data and restore it to another microSD to make sure it works. I've had some wonky results with the backup/save games.

I'm using blue button version.

abaddon41_80

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been playing around with it all day and it does seem to want them in the same order, too. I guess individually backing up the games is the way to go unless I want to screencap what games are on the microSD every time I backup the saves and restore that exact configuration when I want to restore the saves.

Ralph1611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont want to test this on my main card...... but this are the results im getting testing it on another micro sd card.

Lets say you want to back up a game... and put it on another micro sd card... it will not work( there may be a trick to it, but I dont know how to go it.)

Now, if you back up the game, delete the game from the micro sd card, and write the game on again... the save will be there.... ( on the same micro sd card, unformatted. If you format the card and write it again, the save will be lost.)

Thats all i know for now.

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I dont want to test this on my main card...... but this are the results im getting testing it on another micro sd card.

Lets say you want to back up a game... and put it on another micro sd card... it will not work( there may be a trick to it, but I dont know how to go it.)

Now, if you back up the game, delete the game from the micro sd card, and write the game on again... the save will be there.... ( on the same micro sd card, unformatted. If you format the card and write it again, the save will be lost.)

Thats all i know for now.

The trick is that if you'd like to restore savedata from any microsd card or the rom itself, you'd format the card, write the rom again then restore the savedata to that rom. Another the trick is that, you can delete the game and replace it to another slot (rearrangement) then restore the savedata (restore to the same slot won't help). I have a blue button card.

Ralph1611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The trick is that if you'd like to restore savedata from any microsd card or the rom itself, you'd format the card, write the rom again then restore the savedata to that rom. Another the trick is that, you can delete the game and replace it to another slot (rearrangement) then restore the savedata (restore to the same slot won't help). I have a blue button card.

I tried that already. But when I go to the menu and hit restore game... the pop up says "Back Up File" and nothing there... so I have to "Write" the stuff in..... and I wrote the game back in... and when I wrote the .sav file it deleted everything on the card...

Do you know what i mean?

Reactions: thaikhoa

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Can we backup original cart's save using SaveTransferTool then transfer to GW/Sky3DS? Thanks.
I don't have any CFW console.
For SDF in GW/MT emuNAND, no, you don't.
1) EmuNANDs never recognize Sky3DS.
2) SDF never starts in Classic mode.

EDIT: For dumping legitimate cart saves for GW, yes, you can. But in order to use the save, you need to dump the save's own cart's ROM and rename it to *.3DZ.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Xdqwerty how are you?