Hacking Sky3DS or Gateway on New 3DS XL (9.7)?

Ichigo1000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the pros and cons? I heard Gateway recently got an update that will make it work on firmware 9.7.

From what I know (Please correct if I'm wrong):

Sky3DS:
Pros
-Works on all firmware to date
-Fast Updates/Directly compatible to the next firmware update
-Online Play
-No DS flashcart needed
-LED indicator
-No need to execute exploit

Cons
-Price
-Game limit (31-32?)
-No Cheats
-Game cycling

Gateway:
Pros
-Custom Menu
-More features
-No game limit (?)
-Cheaper
-Online Play

Cons
-Need to run exploit each use (?)
-No Cheats (?)
-Slow Updates (Haven't worked for 9.3-9.6)
-Dead? (???)

Which one should I get, and is it worth it? Sorry if the info is wrong, as I have no experience with any of them, I've only heard about them.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where have you heard Gateway might work on sysNand 9.7 soon? I want to know, because I have a Gateway that I've never been able to use. At all. I want to know what version it might work on soon, so I can update to before it's patched. All I know right now is that it has been updated to work with EmuNand 9.7, which isn't the same as sysNand, so please tell me where you heard about this.

Ichigo1000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where have you heard Gateway might work on sysNand 9.7 soon? I want to know, because I have a Gateway that I've never been able to use. At all. I want to know what version it might work on soon, so I can update to before it's patched. All I know right now is that it has been updated to work with EmuNand 9.7, which isn't the same as sysNand, so please tell me where you heard about this.

Not sure, I read something about Gateway ULTRA 3.2 or something like that, I'm not so sure though.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure, I read something about Gateway ULTRA 3.2 or something like that, I'm not so sure though.
That would be EmuNand, not SysNand. That means you're system must already have Gateway installed to be able to update your emulated system to 9.7. If you run a system that hasn't used Gateway yet, and it's firmware is greater than 9.2, then your gateway is useless to you, and you're stuck with Sky3DS. Just like me. I have both, and can only use one until Gateway finds an exploit they can use on 9.4 and 9.5.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would be EmuNand, not SysNand. That means you're system must already have Gateway installed to be able to update your emulated system to 9.7. If you run a system that hasn't used Gateway yet, and it's firmware is greater than 9.2, then your gateway is useless to you, and you're stuck with Sky3DS. Just like me. I have both, and can only use one until Gateway finds an exploit they can use on 9.4 and 9.5.

Ichigo1000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ah. imo opinion, don't you think the sky3ds is a safer choice? I think that it is, because it seems to be working directly on every firmware update release.

Kawaii

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
GW is currently a superior card with homebrew and cia install support. Its like a Super Sky3DS but unfortunately unless u have the supported firmware to begin with, you are out of luck.

I own both sky and GW. Used my sky3ds just for the 1st exploit.

Reactions: cocoPika

Ichigo1000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By no means is GW dead. It is very much active infact.
Is the card dead? Do you know why the gateway card hasn't been able to update in awhile, while the sky3ds continues to work on every firmware? I'm not on either side, just wondering why hasn't gateway been able to update.

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Gateway 3DS isn't dead, but the way the card was developed it requires some kernel exploits to patch (on RAM) some system functions, so it will accept and read the contents on gateway card, run unsigned code, also adding the multi ROM menu to control what the card reads. The card isn't actually dead because there is active support to install new versions of emunand and make the card run on those.
GW is actually stuck with system menu 9.2 or lower support, until some hackers can find new kernel exploits on 9.3 and higher system menu versions.

SKY 3DS works on all system menu versions because it uses other methods to load the ROM and how it show itself to the 3DS system.

If you have a 3DS/New 3DS with sysNAND 9.7 you are stuck with Sky 3DS and it's clones.

LameNobody

Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the gateway team released a new gateway ultra v3.21 beta , which was said can support New 3DS V9.7 and EmuNAND V9.7 and added option to boot into SYSNAND mode directly even with EMUNAND on SD card ,seems dont need use Cubic Ninja or Zelda Ocarina of Time to boot up into Gateway mode any more. More details see here : http://www.modchipwarehouse.com/new...edadded-option-to-boot-into-sysnand-a-97.html

You're just reading the parts you want to see.

The "Booting into sysnand" function, is made to apply gateway patches to system nand and not use emunand on your sd.
It does not mean you can use a console with 9.7 system menu version

Still only supports 4.0-9.2
(emunand is a feature of gateway, its a clone of your nand but you can still use gateway functions along with being able to update it while keeping your system nand exploitable)
EMULATED NAND, on original 3ds, 9.7
on new 3ds, 9.5

Ichigo1000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway 3DS isn't dead, but the way the card was developed it requires some kernel exploits to patch (on RAM) some system functions, so it will accept and read the contents on gateway card, run unsigned code, also adding the multi ROM menu to control what the card reads. The card isn't actually dead because there is active support to install new versions of emunand and make the card run on those.
GW is actually stuck with system menu 9.2 or lower support, until some hackers can find new kernel exploits on 9.3 and higher system menu versions.

SKY 3DS works on all system menu versions because it uses other methods to load the ROM and how it show itself to the 3DS system.

If you have a 3DS/New 3DS with sysNAND 9.7 you are stuck with Sky 3DS and it's clones.

In your opinion, should I wait for Gateway to find an exploit?

Hero Q8

Trophies
XP
GW is currently a superior card with homebrew and cia install support. Its like a Super Sky3DS but unfortunately unless u have the supported firmware to begin with, you are out of luck.

I own both sky and GW. Used my sky3ds just for the 1st exploit.

For real thank you i was going to buy Cubic Ninja to use gateway in my N3DS but when i read your comment i got Cubic Ninja in my Sky3DS and use it to boot Gateway in N3DS :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/a93F-EEw6HM?si=tUXuLXhXiWUsmIIv