Sky3DS or Gateway on New 3DS XL (9.7)?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Ichigo1000, May 7, 2015.

1. Ichigo1000
    OP

Ichigo1000 GBAtemp Fan

May 6, 2015
    United States
    What are the pros and cons? I heard Gateway recently got an update that will make it work on firmware 9.7.

From what I know (Please correct if I'm wrong):

Sky3DS:
    Pros
    -Works on all firmware to date
    -Fast Updates/Directly compatible to the next firmware update
    -Online Play
    -No DS flashcart needed
    -LED indicator
    -No need to execute exploit

Cons
    -Price
    -Game limit (31-32?)
    -No Cheats
    -Game cycling

Gateway:
    Pros
    -Custom Menu
    -More features
    -No game limit (?)
    -Cheaper
    -Online Play

Cons
    -Need to run exploit each use (?)
    -No Cheats (?)
    -Slow Updates (Haven't worked for 9.3-9.6)
    -Dead? (???)

Which one should I get, and is it worth it? Sorry if the info is wrong, as I have no experience with any of them, I've only heard about them.

2. controlio

controlio Member

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2006
    Australia
    if your firmware is 9.7 your only option is skyds. gateway only works on firmware up to 9.2.

3. Dimensional

Dimensional GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    Texas
    Where have you heard Gateway might work on sysNand 9.7 soon? I want to know, because I have a Gateway that I've never been able to use. At all. I want to know what version it might work on soon, so I can update to before it's patched. All I know right now is that it has been updated to work with EmuNand 9.7, which isn't the same as sysNand, so please tell me where you heard about this.

4. controlio

controlio Member

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2006
    Australia
    he probably means emunand support for 9.7 on old 3DS.

5. Ichigo1000
    OP

Ichigo1000 GBAtemp Fan

May 6, 2015
    United States
    Not sure, I read something about Gateway ULTRA 3.2 or something like that, I'm not so sure though.

6. Dimensional

Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    Texas
    That would be EmuNand, not SysNand. That means you're system must already have Gateway installed to be able to update your emulated system to 9.7. If you run a system that hasn't used Gateway yet, and it's firmware is greater than 9.2, then your gateway is useless to you, and you're stuck with Sky3DS. Just like me. I have both, and can only use one until Gateway finds an exploit they can use on 9.4 and 9.5.

7. Dimensional

Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    Texas
    That would be EmuNand, not SysNand. That means you're system must already have Gateway installed to be able to update your emulated system to 9.7. If you run a system that hasn't used Gateway yet, and it's firmware is greater than 9.2, then your gateway is useless to you, and you're stuck with Sky3DS. Just like me. I have both, and can only use one until Gateway finds an exploit they can use on 9.4 and 9.5.

8. Ichigo1000
    OP

Ichigo1000 GBAtemp Fan

May 6, 2015
    United States
    Ah. imo opinion, don't you think the sky3ds is a safer choice? I think that it is, because it seems to be working directly on every firmware update release.

9. Ichigo1000
    OP

Ichigo1000 GBAtemp Fan

May 6, 2015
    United States
    (Duplicate comment)

10. Kawaii

Kawaii GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2015
    New Zealand
    Not near you
    GW is currently a superior card with homebrew and cia install support. Its like a Super Sky3DS but unfortunately unless u have the supported firmware to begin with, you are out of luck.

I own both sky and GW. Used my sky3ds just for the 1st exploit.

cocoPika likes this.
  11. rickycoe123

rickycoe123 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 23, 2014
    By no means is GW dead. It is very much active infact.

12. Ichigo1000
    OP

Ichigo1000 GBAtemp Fan

May 6, 2015
    United States
    Is the card dead? Do you know why the gateway card hasn't been able to update in awhile, while the sky3ds continues to work on every firmware? I'm not on either side, just wondering why hasn't gateway been able to update.

13. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    There was an update one week ago...

14. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    Gateway 3DS isn't dead, but the way the card was developed it requires some kernel exploits to patch (on RAM) some system functions, so it will accept and read the contents on gateway card, run unsigned code, also adding the multi ROM menu to control what the card reads. The card isn't actually dead because there is active support to install new versions of emunand and make the card run on those.
    GW is actually stuck with system menu 9.2 or lower support, until some hackers can find new kernel exploits on 9.3 and higher system menu versions.

SKY 3DS works on all system menu versions because it uses other methods to load the ROM and how it show itself to the 3DS system.

If you have a 3DS/New 3DS with sysNAND 9.7 you are stuck with Sky 3DS and it's clones.

15. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    Which isn't totally a bad thing.

RahFah likes this.
  16. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States

Please read more....GW cannot run on firmware 9.7

17. LameNobody

LameNobody Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2015
    Canada
    You're just reading the parts you want to see.

The "Booting into sysnand" function, is made to apply gateway patches to system nand and not use emunand on your sd.
    It does not mean you can use a console with 9.7 system menu version

Still only supports 4.0-9.2
    (emunand is a feature of gateway, its a clone of your nand but you can still use gateway functions along with being able to update it while keeping your system nand exploitable)
    EMULATED NAND, on original 3ds, 9.7
    on new 3ds, 9.5

18. Ichigo1000
    OP

Ichigo1000 GBAtemp Fan

May 6, 2015
    United States
    In your opinion, should I wait for Gateway to find an exploit?

19. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    Sky3DS. It was a surprise Gateway was able to get their exploit working at all on 4.5+ sysNAND. It might not happen again.

20. ueess

ueess Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    For real thank you i was going to buy Cubic Ninja to use gateway in my N3DS but when i read your comment i got Cubic Ninja in my Sky3DS and use it to boot Gateway in N3DS :)