Hacking Sky3DS Diskwritter renders micro SD card unuseable, please help.

Chickenhat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello everyone.

I will try to explain my problem in as much detail as I can.

It all started when I wanted to write some new ROMs to my Sky3DS card (blue button). I saw that I was using the 1.6 ver. of the Diskwritter so I decided to upgrade to the 2.02 ver. I did not care about save files or backups of any kind and just wanted to use the new version and write some new games. I opened the 2.02 version, saw my list of games and wrote some new ones, put the micro SD card in my Sky3DS, did the whole hold down the button when inserting, eject the card, insert it again and the first ROM showed up, as usual. I could switch between all my older ROMs, but when I got to the first new one it was blank. Nothing showed up. Tried re-doing the whole inserting process, reset my 3DS, went into Settings then went back to Home menu, but nothing worked. I started deleting the new ROMs one by one in hope that after deleting a certain one the others might show up. Nothing. Then I decided to delete all the ROMs, reformat, format the SD in Windows then format it again in Diswritter. When I tried to format it in Windows it told me that it couldn't do so and thus the vicious cicle began.

Going back into Diskwritter I tried to format and reformat the SD a couple of times, It shows that it does that, but I can't tell the difference.

Since then I have tried to use programs such as EaseUS Partition Master, SD Formatter 4, HP USB Format tool, tried removing write protection (because SD Formatter 4 says it's write protected), switched between Diskwritter 2.02, 1.6, 1,5, restarted my PC, system restored more than once, nothing. With Diskwritter I have gotten a bunch of different results. Sometimes I can write ROMs " just fine", but they don't show up on my 3DS and when I put the SD back into Diskwritter the ROM list is empty. Sometimes I can write ROMs, but when it finished writting their names change to the ROM's ID. Sometimes I can't write at all. Ticking "Verify" and trying to write a ROM results in an error. Whatever I try the Sky3DS gives me a slow blinking blue light (something's wrong, duh).

I have used mutiple micro SD card adapters, I have used an USB card reader, inserting the SD in the micro SD slot and putting it in a SD adapter and inserting that into the SD slot. I have checked and confirmed that all my SD adapters have their lock switch set to the upward position. I have searched and read mutiple threads with somewhat similar problems. I read Osmosis's thread on fomatting SD/mSD cards: https://gbatemp.net/threads/formatting-your-sd-msd-for-sky3ds-gateway-3ds.387673/#post-5469015
Tried following the steps, but I guess I am doing something wrong.
From the guide I understand that I need to format the mSD into FAT32 and that I need to first convert it to NTFS then to FAT32, but it gives me an error when I try.

I will suply you with some screenshots I took, maybe they might help: http://imgur.com/a/hlvhC

The mSD that I am using is a SandDisk Ultra 32GB class 10 MicroSDHC which is not fake.
I have tried using a different mSD card and although I still get the " No Disk" error I am able to use Diskwritter to write a ROM, play it on my 3DS and then reformat the mSD to normal condition.

If you have any ideas, suggestion what I might do to fix this issue feel free to comment.
Also a very detailed step by step on how to format a mSD into NTFS then to FAT32 would be appreciated.

I tried very hard to avoid writting this wall of text, but alas, I am stuck, sorry. Also if there are some grammatical errors look past them, trying to spell-check this heep gives me a headache.

4ur0r

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sometimes happens to me too, I usually plug the sd on my linux machine (somehow it detects the device while my windows machine doesn't) and format. Later I format the micro-sd again from my windows machine to make it usable.
EDIT: I have the same exact size/brand micro-sd.

Chickenhat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sometimes happens to me too, I usually plug the sd on my linux machine (somehow it detects the device while my windows machine doesn't) and format. Later I format the micro-sd again from my windows machine to make it usable.
EDIT: I have the same exact size/brand micro-sd.
#SandDiskboyz

Chickenhat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A little update.

I have noticed that leaving the mSD card in the computer when it's booting up results in the OS not being able to load properly (Dumping physical memory to disk and rebooting). Loading in Safe Mode works, but normal boot just doesn't and if the mSD is left in the PC I get a endless boot loop if left untouched. Removing the mSD before booting however results in a normal boot up. I don't know what could have gone wrong, but I am considering re-installing the OS and formatting the hard drive, then seeing if something changes.

If you have any idea how to fix this or just what might be causing this leave a message.

4ur0r

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
A little update.

I have noticed that leaving the mSD card in the computer when it's booting up results in the OS not being able to load properly (Dumping physical memory to disk and rebooting). Loading in Safe Mode works, but normal boot just doesn't and if the mSD is left in the PC I get a endless boot loop if left untouched. Removing the mSD before booting however results in a normal boot up. I don't know what could have gone wrong, but I am considering re-installing the OS and formatting the hard drive, then seeing if something changes.

If you have any idea how to fix this or just what might be causing this leave a message.
PC not booting up while some USB-thingies are plugged in is perfectly normal, usually the BIOS check everything "plugged" in for a bootloader, if it doesn not found it it keeps searching repeteadly, causing a bootloop.
No need to reinstall the OS, I'm not an expert but as far as I could see when I plugged the sd card into my linux machine the pc recognised it as an unofrmatted device, I then formatted it to make it usable. My advice is: find an empty USB device, install any distro of linux in that USB (live boot), boot the linux usb and then try formatting the sd card from there. Not the best solution, but it should work.

Chickenhat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
PC not booting up while some USB-thingies are plugged in is perfectly normal, usually the BIOS check everything "plugged" in for a bootloader, if it doesn not found it it keeps searching repeteadly, causing a bootloop.
No need to reinstall the OS, I'm not an expert but as far as I could see when I plugged the sd card into my linux machine the pc recognised it as an unofrmatted device, I then formatted it to make it usable. My advice is: find an empty USB device, install any distro of linux in that USB (live boot), boot the linux usb and then try formatting the sd card from there. Not the best solution, but it should work.

So I have messed around with what you guys have suggested, but no luck.

I tried formatting the mSD in two other PC's, but no luck there.

I downloaded a standard version of Ubuntu and put it on a USB flash drive. Booted Ubuntu from said flash drive. Opened Gparted Partition Master/Editor (not sure) and tried to format the mSD from there. I couldn't do anything with the unallocated partition so I messed around with the other FAT16 512 KiB one (you'll see in the screenshots I took). Tried formatting it to FAT 32 and NTFS, but both need more than 512 KiB to be formatted. I tried creating a new partition with a size bigger than that, even a size as big as the whole mSD and it didn't work. Tried to resize the partition to a bigger size, but that didn't work as well.

Here are some screens: http://imgur.com/a/8HEJN

Chickenhat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I still have this problems guys. If anyone has any suggestions, please leave them as a message. I haven't attempted anything else, because I just don't know what else I could do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Tattle-tale :creep: