Hacking SKY3DS can support newest 3DS V9.7.0-25U/E/J

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup. Looks like we have a winner... now to get better savedata support. Or reverse engineer the Powersaves Pro dongle and write some hackware.

Sadly anything above 9.5.0-22U loses pokeinjection. Folks over at ProjectPokemon really need an answer to this.

uncjax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup. Looks like we have a winner... now to get better savedata support. Or reverse engineer the Powersaves Pro dongle and write some hackware.

Sadly anything above 9.5.0-22U loses pokeinjection. Folks over at ProjectPokemon really need an answer to this.

Yeah, with a new card. :rofl2:

Whats so bad about the save system? You just back up and restore in the disk writer right?

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whats so bad about the save system? You just back up and restore in the disk writer right?

The saves are encrypted and can't edit the savedata. Thus no pokeinjection using PKHeX. Powersaves has the same issue.

And as for RXTools, it works, but not an actual fix... so don't go counting your eggs just yet. Besides, GW on N3DSXL can't edit OG carts saves, only .CIA. So there is pokeinjection, but you can't do it to original cart. O3DSXL seems to be okay in that respect, but again, RXTools might not fix this.

Like I said, don't go counting eggs just yet...

What's really odd is that 9.7 is out and GW still didn't update emuNAND to 9.6. So maybe 9.7? Or 9.8? Or hell, we'll have to wait till 10? Not sure what's going on there.

AssortedTrailmix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The saves are encrypted and can't edit the savedata. Thus no pokeinjection using PKHeX. Powersaves has the same issue.

And as for RXTools, it works, but not an actual fix... so don't go counting your eggs just yet. Besides, GW on N3DSXL can't edit OG carts saves, only .CIA. So there is pokeinjection, but you can't do it to original cart. O3DSXL seems to be okay in that respect, but again, RXTools might not fix this.

Like I said, don't go counting eggs just yet...

What's really odd is that 9.7 is out and GW still didn't update emuNAND to 9.6. So maybe 9.7? Or 9.8? Or hell, we'll have to wait till 10? Not sure what's going on there.

I'm very new to the whole 3DS "scene", but as a programmer who has worked with somewhat low level stuff I can say what most people already realized, any flashcart can be stopped. The problem is Gateway is trying to take advantage of presence of vulnerabilities where as Sky3DS is simply depending on the absence of complex checks. It's possible in the future the checks will come, but it's almost guaranteed that every time a vulnerability is found it's going to get patched, since because other than things like Gateway, some of these vulnerabilities can be used for malicious purposes.

The nature of the game is really cat and mouse. Every time Gateway finds a new way in, Nintendo is going to patch it. The main problem is each time cracking the firmware is going to take longer in longer. For every vulnerability that gets taken advantage of, there are probably a bunch more that were similar, but not found by outsiders. Nintendo is probably patching those as well, meaning that it's possible that for every one or two vulnerabilities that have been published a near unlimited amount more have been patched.

I know people won't like to hear this, but the very nature of all this is that Nintendo will eventually win. The ratio of effort spent by Gateway's team to find an exploit to the effort spent by Nintendo to fix it heavily favors Nintendo, and it will only get worse over time. In a sense it's almost like Gateway is working for Nintendo. The more exploits they find, the more Nintendo knows what other things to fix/re-examine. It's comparable to having someone else test your code. They might only find 5 issues, but when you go back to fix those issues sometimes you suddenly foresee new issues the tester didn't even reach yet. And each time someone tests the code, the distance between issues is getting exponentially larger till the point where some issues may not pop up until you have millions of users "testing". Gateway is only one team, and even with every piracy team and developer working together, there's no parallel to the "millions of users testing". Once they get to that point it's going to be game over for good (although I can't say if 9.6 is it, from my understanding Gateway has a history of taking a while).

Sky3DS has the problem that once a fix is made for it, that's that. But the fact is, it relies on future inaction from Nintendo rather than past mistakes by Nintendo. While Nintendo is going to fix it's mistakes, there's no guarantee it's willing to put resources into future actions. As long as Nintendo doesn't put those resources into a fix, there's no limit to how long to Sky3DS can last. So while it could end tomorrow, unlike Gateway, it could also last indefinitely.

I personally favor the risk of having a card that could stop working tomorrow over the knowledge that no matter eventually the card will stop working. Again, people won't like to hear that, but it's common sense. Gateway takes a month or something to make an exploit and Nintendo takes a day to look up the exploit and can have a patch ready for internal testing almost immediately, even if they don't release the patch immediately. Relying on published vulnerabilities in software that gets updated means that you're relying on people not updating, like attacks on Java and Adobe Reader do. In the case of the 3DS and N3DS has happened for now, but can't last forever, as eventually new SDKs and versions that have new features that can't simply be spoofed will come out. The alternative is relying on the software creators not knowing about them/ ignoring them. And it's clear that Nintendo knows and keeps track of them at this point, and they don't ignore them.

And I'm not saying that the Sky3DS is better. In exchange for the fact that eventually it will be blocked, the Gateway is a lot more powerful when it comes to things outside of basic game play. The problem is one day when Gateway is out of moves, I don't know if that many people will value the extra power over the fact that it's the end of the road for them.

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm very new to the whole 3DS "scene", but as a programmer who has worked with somewhat low level stuff I can say what most people already realized, any flashcart can be stopped. The problem is Gateway is trying to take advantage of presence of vulnerabilities where as Sky3DS is simply depending on the absence of complex checks. It's possible in the future the checks will come, but it's almost guaranteed that every time a vulnerability is found it's going to get patched, since because other than things like Gateway, some of these vulnerabilities can be used for malicious purposes.

The nature of the game is really cat and mouse. Every time Gateway finds a new way in, Nintendo is going to patch it. The main problem is each time cracking the firmware is going to take longer in longer. For every vulnerability that gets taken advantage of, there are probably a bunch more that were similar, but not found by outsiders. Nintendo is probably patching those as well, meaning that it's possible that for every one or two vulnerabilities that have been published a near unlimited amount more have been patched.

I know people won't like to hear this, but the very nature of all this is that Nintendo will eventually win. The ratio of effort spent by Gateway's team to find an exploit to the effort spent by Nintendo to fix it heavily favors Nintendo, and it will only get worse over time. In a sense it's almost like Gateway is working for Nintendo. The more exploits they find, the more Nintendo knows what other things to fix/re-examine. It's comparable to having someone else test your code. They might only find 5 issues, but when you go back to fix those issues sometimes you suddenly foresee new issues the tester didn't even reach yet. And each time someone tests the code, the distance between issues is getting exponentially larger till the point where some issues may not pop up until you have millions of users "testing". Gateway is only one team, and even with every piracy team and developer working together, there's no parallel to the "millions of users testing". Once they get to that point it's going to be game over for good (although I can't say if 9.6 is it, from my understanding Gateway has a history of taking a while).

Sky3DS has the problem that once a fix is made for it, that's that. But the fact is, it relies on future inaction from Nintendo rather than past mistakes by Nintendo. While Nintendo is going to fix it's mistakes, there's no guarantee it's willing to put resources into future actions. As long as Nintendo doesn't put those resources into a fix, there's no limit to how long to Sky3DS can last. So while it could end tomorrow, unlike Gateway, it could also last indefinitely.

I personally favor the risk of having a card that could stop working tomorrow over the knowledge that no matter eventually the card will stop working. Again, people won't like to hear that, but it's common sense. Gateway takes a month or something to make an exploit and Nintendo takes a day to look up the exploit and can have a patch ready for internal testing almost immediately, even if they don't release the patch immediately. Relying on published vulnerabilities in software that gets updated means that you're relying on people not updating, like attacks on Java and Adobe Reader do. In the case of the 3DS and N3DS has happened for now, but can't last forever, as eventually new SDKs and versions that have new features that can't simply be spoofed will come out. The alternative is relying on the software creators not knowing about them/ ignoring them. And it's clear that Nintendo knows and keeps track of them at this point, and they don't ignore them.

And I'm not saying that the Sky3DS is better. In exchange for the fact that eventually it will be blocked, the Gateway is a lot more powerful when it comes to things outside of basic game play. The problem is one day when Gateway is out of moves, I don't know if that many people will value the extra power over the fact that it's the end of the road for them.

Those 'complex' checks can just as easily be added by Nintendo so your argument doesn't make any sense.

AssortedTrailmix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those 'complex' checks can just as easily be added by Nintendo so your argument doesn't make any sense.

I specifically address that:

But the fact is, it relies on future inaction from Nintendo rather than past mistakes by Nintendo. While Nintendo is going to fix it's mistakes, there's no guarantee it's willing to put resources into future actions. As long as Nintendo doesn't put those resources into a fix, there's no limit to how long to Sky3DS can last. So while it could end tomorrow, unlike Gateway, it could also last indefinitely.

And it's not an argument as much as a statement of undeniable facts with an aside where I mention my opinion on which I favor. Not to mention, how would me no addressing that make all of what I said not make sense? It's as if you skimmed it looking for a point of contention...

Reactions: Stang

Stang

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I specifically address that:

And it's not an argument as much as a statement of undeniable facts with an aside where I mention my opinion on which I favor. Not to mention, how would me no addressing that make all of what I said not make sense? It's as if you skimmed it looking for a point of contention...
You will soon learn not to argue with flashcard fanboys, it is an (intelligence) losing proposition.

dandymanz

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Basically, gateway works via Software, while Sky3ds works via hardware.

I like to compare the Gateway to a device like an Iphone, once the vulnerability has been patched, it's going to be a long long wait again before it can be used. And the main problem is if a new Nintendo 3ds model comes out, like maybe some special Xenoblade edition, you can't use it and show it off to your friends because the firmware would be too high for Gateway to run on.

Whereas the Sky3ds is like the old R4 cart. Nintendo might block it someday, but if the Sky3ds team are able to patch some firmware in the cart, we just might be able to continue using it. I don't think they can do that now, so its just quite probable they will release a new cart. Which isn't all that bad, coming from someone who's been using flashcarts since the GBA.

D

Deleted-19228

I still believe if Nintendo could block it they would have much like how the DSTwo still works on the 3DS/n3DS after they integrated the last anti-piracy measure (using official game headers instead of fake ones)

AssortedTrailmix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still believe if Nintendo could block it they would have much like how the DSTwo still works on the 3DS/n3DS after they integrated the last anti-piracy measure (using official game headers instead of fake ones)

I totally agree with that. I really do think that people are underestimating how easy it is to block the Sky3DS, considering the fact we've seen various flashcarts that operate in a similar manner (emulation vs attacking) get blocked. They shouldn't take that as the Sky3DS being invulnerable, but it feels highly unlikely that Nintendo hasn't made any effort in blocking it. It feels a lot more likely that they tried, and either gave up, haven't made progress, felt it wasn't worth the resources (assuming it is much harder to block than some believe) or what they found was unreliable and could adversely affect user experiences. I don't see Nintendo as the kind of company to risk the experience of legitimate users to punish illegitimate users like some other companies... *cough* Punkbuster, SecuRom, DRM in general *cough*.

D

Deleted-19228

Don't forget Sony and Microsoft. They've had their share of screw ups with anti-piracy banning tons of legitimate users.

airmaxix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm new to this, I just bought this blue button Sky3ds cart and my new 3ds xl software version is v9.4.0-21U should I update to this latest firmware v9.7.0-25U? Please advice

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: