Hacking Sky3ds 31 games per sd card

obs123194

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
essentially yes you can have as many 3ds games as you desire with the sky3ds, however you'll need to have multiple sd cards to do so. I just found out last night and was upset for myself for misplacing my 64 gb micro sd card. now I have a 128 gb micro sd card and while yes it can hold 31 3ds games It just bothers me that there's so much unused space on it. Is the sky3ds team or someone trying to figure out a software fix the issue of having multiple sd cards, in order to play more than 31 games on a single sd scard?

vhero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This feels like it should have been part of a thread? Either way its a hard limit which is part of the cartridge and the only way around it would be a new card. They have clearly done this on purpose to future proof there cards like with the last one limiting it to 10 games. This way they can sell you another new card down the line once sales start drying up.

iViperz

Trophies
XP
Country
Tbh there's definitely no need to store so many games unless you're travelling, in which case the hassle of going from game 2 to game 1 say, won't be much.
Plus to my knowledge, the game limit is only at any one time, so can't you delete one game and put in another?

Reactions: tony_2018

vhero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thats the point with that daft switching button taking a long time to switch games it pointless right now going above 31. Nintendo done better against piracy this generation making it annoying but without piracy believe me thre sales wouldn't be half what they are now. R4 carts made the DS the juggernaut it was last generation. I don't know anybody who didn't own one of those things without an R4 or EDGE cart. Some people owned multiple carts.

cthg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What button color do you think rev 3 is gonna be? I'll totally buy it hands down snap buy if it's purple.

vhero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What button color do you think rev 3 is gonna be? I'll totally buy it hands down snap buy if it's purple.
Think they will remove it altogether and go with something else. I mean they have to now otherwise people wont buy. Last revision it was limited to 10 games but they are being clever saying you can still use that card even with latest firmware making it look like they are supporting it even though it totally sucks. They have to make this card look crap so they will try include a software selector of some kind. I cannot wait for the first proper menu system like the old wood OS.

NoSmokingBandit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 31 game limit is mostly an oversight, but I don't think it can be fixed without new hardware. Theres a 32mb section at the beginning of the disk reserved for saves. The biggest saves are 1mb, so they have to assume every game saves 1mb. Therefore 32 saves will fit. But only 31 because of complicated reasons. The diskwriter allocates save space when it writes the game, so if there isn't space for saves it won't write the game. I've never had 31 games on my modded consoles. Except maybe my ps2 via fmcb, but that is only because the ps2 has an absurd number of great games. I have maybe 6 games on my sky3ds right now and I have only played one at a time. Why anyone would need to have 31 different games going at any given time is something I'll never understand.

Reactions: dandymanz

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sky3DS DiskWriter 1.06b5 has an Optimizer. It basically backs up the game list and savedata from the Sky3DS SD card and does some minor trimming to the .3DS files. I personally pre-trim my game ROMs and am currently using a 32GB SDHC class10 card with 31 games on it (Resident evil, all of Pokemon, Zelda... etc.) and I still have 6.124GBs left. That's another 5 games. Make sure to use new template0310.

Really ticks me off about 31 limit.

BTW, Trimming, or Optimizing, does speed up the cycling. To a degree. Large game files like Resident Evil take a while to load no matter what. But cycling through 31+ games isn't very hard to do after optimization. In fact, I like to pre-trim THEN optimize. Blows my mind.

I also have a POWERSAVESPRO3DS and it DOES WORK ON THE SKY3DS (CONFIRMED!!!).

EDIT: Nope. Only OR/AS/X/Y seem to work for me now.... still need to modify IDs to match legit cart for PS to read it...??? Not sure...

Just don't try to restore save data from your old cart to the new Sky3DS ROM or you'll corrupt the Sky3DS version's savedata. I tried it on ORAS and until you change the Sky3DS ID headers in the template to match the original cart's ID's, the 3DS will create separate savedata files on the SD card (just don't delete them as it creates them inside the ORAS file itself, so do a XYABup reset from within the Sky3DS and your original game will be fine). Once you spoof the IDs it actually reads like the original cart and you don't even need Powersaves. It'll just load the data on the SD card.

But I did use PowerSavePro to max out my $$$ directly onto Sky3DS ROM. Even backs up. Love it. :yaynds:

I am also running 9.5.0-22U firmware. I was on 9.2 waiting for my GW, but it got lost in the mail (ugh!) and my ORAS needed to update.

I can confirm that I am browser injecting from PKHeX into ORAS just fine. About to see if it works on Sky3DS...

I'm currently reading the boards trying to figure out how to rip ID headers from a memory dump, but currently I have no idea how to ROM dump on 9.5.

I also wish I could downgrade so I could get a GW and do a Play Coin Max. Any chance Play Coin Generator can be converted into a .3DS file to be run off of Sky3DS? Hrm? 3DSGuy? Pwuheeeeeze? :whip:

Perhaps a way to convert .CIA to .3DS? I also need to transfer my downloaded game's savedata back onto the original cart... Really hate Nintendon't for not thinking of that when they made their transfer tool.

Otherwise... to test browser injection on Sky3DS... :nds:

Works. Love it. :yay: Lookatit allz of my pokemonzterz..!!! Now I can rip original pokes from OR to AS without guessing stats or memories! And use my original ORAS cart to play online... Only if I could rip my SFIV and SSB IDs... Then I wouldn't have to carry around all my carts.

So why can't 9.5.0-22U use browser injection to downgrade? I can use it to memory dump and poke inject...?
I'd jizz myself if I could use a GW again...

frankGT

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Help please!!

I have a 9.0 n3ds, do i have to update to latest firmware version to update my games??

Thanks!

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't HAVE to, but yes.

If you update your firmware it'll go to 9.5+ and then you can't use Gateway or do ROM dumps or run Ninjahax and such. Stay on 9.0 and you can buy a Gateway OR you could ninjahax your system. Or you could even use the Gateway tools to perform ROM dumps. But the Gateway 9.5 emulator firmware allows you to use eShop and such (which allows you to install update patches for your games). You just can't do much after 9.5 firmware but run Sky3DS and regular 3DS stuff.

If you plan to use a Gateway or such, DO NOT UPDATE FIRMWARE. If you just got it and don't care, you deserve to update.

Muskusrat

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why would you want that many games on the card? I would keep it around 5 max and actually play those 5 games before changing them :)

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I want a DSTwo scheme. Orange and black casing. You CAN rip it open and solder a new LED if you'd like... Even switch the old white or red button over if you have old versions.

Why would you want that many games on the card? I would keep it around 5 max and actually play those 5 games before changing them :)

Because I like games and having to reformat all the time is painful.

Trust me, trimming ORAS takes it from 2GB down to 1.79GB. Some games even drop from 1GB to 512MB. THEN you run them through the Sky3DS DiskWriter Optimizer and it compacts the trimmed games even more and allows for quicker button scrolling. Some games might take a while no matter what. Like Resident Evil. Gawd that game is huge. It's like 4GB, and trims down to 2GB. Any larger and they would have had to make a flashcart to run it...

PLUS, I like games. I like sharing games. I like playing with friends. I don't GIVE them anything, but I like being a walking Nintendo Zone multi-playing monster. Especially since I have my awesome StreetPass Relay router (ThnX GBATEMP!!! Luvs u guys!!!) :bow:

Then there's Porkymonz... no comment. Having an original cart for online, and two (or more) on Sky3DS... just awesome. I don't mind paying for a game. But Buying two just to unlock pokies is highway robbery. Plus I have PKHeX... just love it. Now I can make legit copies and share with my needy friends. Anyone with kids knows what I'm talking about...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Shower done