skipping health and safety screen

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by -Blaziken-, Jul 31, 2009.

Jul 31, 2009
  1. -Blaziken-
    OP

Newcomer -Blaziken- Member

Italy
    hi [​IMG]
    i don't want the health and safety screen. is there a method to remove it without flashing?
    are there risks?

thank you [​IMG]

EDIT: i have a ds phat

2. Brian117

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The only way is to flash it. Sorry to say.

A good tool to use, is just to get a ear swab/QTIP (some people have different sayings), and cut off one of the cotton parts, and cover the snipped end, in foil. And use that bridge the circuits.

3. -Blaziken-
    OP

Italy
    i read somewhere that resetting settings and at the end of the configuration powering off without pressing a and setting autoboot works, but i don't know if it works or if there are risks

4. DOLwm

Newcomer DOLwm Member

Singapore

What's wrong with the Health and Safety screen? Isn't your health and safety the number ONE priority!!!

5. -Blaziken-
    OP

Italy
    yes but it is pretty useless if you know it like a poetry at school [​IMG]''

excuse me for my bad english

6. -Blaziken-
    OP

Italy
    yes but it is pretty useless if you know it like a poetry at school [​IMG]''

excuse me for my bad english

*edit: excuseme for the double post [​IMG]

7. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    That resetting settings thingy you mentioned is bullcrap. Flashing is not that hard or dangerous, at first I was scared of it too but once I did it I was surprised by how easy it was.

8. Hardkaare

Member Hardkaare GBAtemp Fan

Vietnam
    Same here as long your ds is fully charged and your charger is plugged in, nothing bad will happend.

9. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    this is true. I felt the same way when I was doing it but after it was done it seemed to simple and effortless.

I suggest you get a tooth pick and cut off the pointy end, then wrap it with a few layers of tin foil and you'll have a good flashing tool.

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    For the record messing up when flashing an original DS is damn hard to do and you gain a failsafe boot but a few percentage points into flashing an original DS (I forget the exact numbers), DS lite is easier to mess up but if you follow instructions then you should be safe.

11. -Blaziken-
    OP

Italy
    yes, but if i'll need in the future to send my ds to Nintendo for repair i'll have to noflash with risk brick because on the original firmware there's not recovery boot [​IMG]

also a+b+x+y+start+select boots slot1, right?
    start+select is also the combination to the recovery mode on the cyclods evolution ç_ç
    can I use my ezv 3in1 as a slot 2 flashcard to flash my ds?

is flashing my ds really useful?

12. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    it used to be incredibly useful, now it's just good for removing the splash and safety warning, and providing you with recovery if you happen to load a game/homebrew with an embedded bricker.

edit: having a hard time typing, it's 5am

13. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    You're the guy wanting to get rid of the health screen. It also might add a variable backlight if you have a later model DSphat. It also means you can boot your slot2 in DS mode without a passcard (i.e. booting it from your slot-1 card)

And why would you send it into nintendo for repair? Your DSphat is years old and way out of warranty. Ninty charge a bomb for repairs.

14. -Blaziken-
    OP

Italy
    i want to flash [​IMG]
    but to boot a slot2 cartridge in nds mode it adds a button?

if it powers off when i'm flashing can I use my ez v 3in1 for recovery?

i know viruses for ds are only two and the probability to get a bricking homebrew is nearly at 0% but i get lots of homebrews a day and it's better if i can recover than if i can't

15. Jamstruth

United Kingdom
    http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/flashme/

That site has most of the information you need.

The installer quickly installs a fail-safe recovery in case the installer fails and the DS is almost bricked. This is done by holding start and select and will automatically boot either your slot-1 or slot-2 card allowing the installer to be run again. There are 4 versions. AutoBoot and no-autoboot along with their respective stealth versions. The Autoboot version will automatically boot the slot-2 card if there is NDS software found on it. If not it will boot the NDS firmware. In the no-autoboot version this is replaced and it will only autoboot when select is held.

I'm considering doing this to rid myself of the health screen but am scared of bricking my beloved 3-4 year old DS. (it would crush my soul). I suggest checking your DS firmware version just to see what you could gain from flashing your DS (information on how can be found on the wikipedia page linked to on the Flashme site). If your DS is v5 or over it can add extra brightness options to it. I believe mine is a v2 so all I gain is loss of the health screen.

16. -Blaziken-
    OP

Italy
    mine is v3, so i won't have more brightness options. (green screen on pictochat)

but when shorting sl1 are there probabilities to short something i must not short too?

17. Jamstruth

United Kingdom
    It warns you against that but I honestly cannot see any way you could manage such a thing. The SL1 junction is the only thing visible in that hole and there is a wall of plastic all the way down to it (as far as I can make out). Some other people might be able to tell better than me if there's anything else you could short down that hole.

18. -Blaziken-
    OP

Italy
    why is it bullcrap?

19. Jamstruth

United Kingdom
    Probably because it doesn't work.

20. Dizzy Doom

Newcomer Dizzy Doom Advanced Member

United States
    From AKAIO FAQ. (Wikitemp)
    Anyway, I tried to do it, on a DSL and it didn't work (maybe I didn't do it properly)