Hacking Skinning my Wii

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In a slightly inebriated state I thought it may be time to try a theme on my Wii. I have Bootmii as ISO and Priiloader installed so if the theme screws up It will probably nuke preloader and I will be screwed.

But what the hell why not give it a try right! I was interested in installing "DarkWii_lightblue_mod_FINAL3.csm" using mymenuify. The theme I downloaded is supposedly built for 4.xe. I'm on 4.3e. The post says it works fine on 4.0 and 4.2 but I can find no mention of 4.3. What do you think? Will it work or am I about to make a stylized door stop?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
priiloader by itself is enough protection to fix any theme brick, if u get a theme brick, just load priiloader, access the HBC, load mymenuify again and install the original .app theme (or another theme for your system menu version u r sure works)

there are only 2 types of themes, one for system menu's without the SD card button (for 3.X Wii's) and one for menu's with the SD card button (for 4.X Wii's). So the theme u r referencing should be safe to install (assuming its not BS put on the net intended to result in semi-bricks). Just make sure to build the csm file using thememii and the correct .app file for your wii's SM version (0000009a.app for 4.3E). You can download 0000009a.app from ModMii's download page 3.

edit:
FYI, I'm pretty sure skinning your Wii implies the following
wii-skins.jpg

What you wanted to say is "Theming my Wii" instead of "Skinning my Wii"

edit2: I just realized... it sounds like u downloaded a CSM file for a different system menu version. Only install CSM's for your specific system menu version. I recommend u check out the darkwii red and darkwii green theme downloads from ModMii's download page 3. If u are unable to find a mym for the theme u want, but only a csm, u can create a mym from a csm using thememii, then use the mym and the correct .app file for your SM version to create an alternate csm file designed to work on your specific firmware version using the instructions above.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Don't know much of theming a wii. Just that it can brick it if you don't have precautions and that the version menu for themes matters. So unless someone with more knowledge of things comes here to explain a bit more, I would refrain from installing anything.

Perhaps check the release date of the theme? 4.3 was released last year on June 22 or 23. If the (last update of) the theme is older, you can be sure that it is not optimized or checked for 4.3.

EDIT: seems I was ninja'd by someone with more knowledge of things.
tongue.gif

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok thanks.

I am a bit confused about Thememii. I have nusd the 0000009a.app but thememii only lets you open a mym or convert a csm to mym. To use mymenuify I need a csm so how do I put an existing csm through Thememii and end up with a modified csm?lem

Edit: Sorry just read the rest of the comments. Next problem is Thememii keeps crashing when converting. Windows says the program has stopped working.

Edit2: Diddy, I can never use you links, I always get stuck on the adf.ly pages.

Jehuty25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Managed to install darkwii light blue on my real and emu-nand. Best wii theme
biggrin.gif

All I did was download the 4.3 mym and converted it in thememii by picking my system menu and region.
Options>Standard System Menu, then pick whatever system menu your wii is using and the region. Then click "create csm".

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the advice.

I ditched all of the pre-made csms and found a mym of the theme I wanted. Converted to a csm and it works fine. The way those pre-compiled csms were causing Thememii to crash they probably would have bricked.

Thanks again............
grog.gif
Now to find some more themes and a mymenuify forwarder.

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone have a link for the standard wii theme? I can only find a wad and would prefer to make a csm from a mym........... just incase I want to go back ot default.

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
0000009a.app (for 4.3E Wii's) can be installed using mymenuify
biggrin.gif
Cool thats easy, thanks.

@diddy81, I managed to find your dark Wii red and green, they look brilliant. I might try the non spinny window fix on the red.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyqoIMLQTzE