Hacking Skinning, Cheats and Emulator/Enhanced Menu Question(s)

StellaCaelum5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a couple random questions I've found while playing with my brand new black CycloDs. (First time owner!)

1) Is there a program that will let me create/edit skins on an iMac with OSX? I would like to particularly edit skins for my fickle wants, but I haven't found any software that allows me to do this without requiring a PC.

2) I understand that if I say "no" enough times to a game enabling cheats when I load, it will remember this response and stop asking me which cheats I want. What if I spontaneously want to enable cheats on that particular game though later in the future? Is there a solution short of deleting the game and re-adding it to my microsd?

3) I can't get access to the the enhanced game menu while in SNEmulDS. Is there a way to "soft reset" while in the emulator or do I have to go the old fashioned "power off/power on" route for this?

Thanks for any/all help! I apologize if these questions have already been answered many times over. I did search the forums but never found answers for these specific questions.

P.S.**CYCLO PLUG** I had an R4 SDHC and this CycloDS is definitely an upgrade! I love the real-time save capability (although the new file is kind of irritating, it's not inconvenient since I have an 8gb memory card). The games function flawlessly and I enjoy being able to use ALL the cheats in the database, rather than being limited to the 30 or so the R4 allowed. Mostly, I chose to get the new CycloDS because I didn't want to mess with patched games anymore. A lot of editing programs only run in Windows and I have a Mac so it's just less hassle and more sound of mind to be able to download any clean rom and plug and play! (And yes, I know the DSi just came out so the Acekard 2i would've been a better choice, but I'm not planning on getting the DSi and the Cyclo seems to have a better reputation, better support and better funciontality/capability than the Acekard line.)

StellaCaelum5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone? I suppose I'm the most concerned with the Cheats question. If I can get them back after saying no a bunch of times.... Please?

Thanks!

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
2) I understand that if I say "no" enough times to a game enabling cheats when I load, it will remember this response and stop asking me which cheats I want. What if I spontaneously want to enable cheats on that particular game though later in the future? Is there a solution short of deleting the game and re-adding it to my microsd?

it should always ask you if you want to use cheats or not

QUOTE3) I can't get access to the the enhanced game menu while in SNEmulDS. Is there a way to "soft reset" while in the emulator or do I have to go the old fashioned "power off/power on" route for this?

the enhanced game menu may not work with all apps/ROMs/homebrew

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I didn't know the cyclo did that. Don't remember mine ever doing that. However maybe if you go to the soft reset menu in game and choose enable cheats it will overide.

Porkdish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have never heard or read anything about it remembering 'no' to cheats and never asking in the future. Every time you replace the cheat file on your card it will forget every cheat instruction you've ever given the card so far.

If you're convinced this 'feature' exists (again, I'm doubtful) then turn off cheats in the settings menu all together when playing games you do not wish to cheat on.

I have never understood the point of soft reset, and the implementation of it on the Cyclo via the enhance menu is even more pointless. By the time you've called up the enhanced menu (assuming it even works), scrolled down to the 'return to main menu' option and pressed A... I'm already navigating the next file to run in the main menu after switching off and on.

For skinning on the mac, any paint program will handle the images (photoshop, graphic converter) and any text editor including textpad which comes with the os, can read and save the xml file just fine. Once you understand what each setting does of course, read a tutorial. There is a 3rd party app in development called iCyclo which offers a very basic skin preview, nothing to get excited about though its focus is more on rom management.

If you're on an intel mac chances are the PC tools will run under crossover anyway. I even run no$gba under that just fine.

StellaCaelum5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the help!!

As for the cheats, I just noticed that it stopped asking me if I wanted cheats enabled for a certain game after saying "no" a few times. I enable cheats because I want them on some games, but not on others. I just thought I might want to "reactivate" cheat functions once I get more familiar with games and see that cheat functions could benefit me in a specific way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM