Skin: Revolution

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by glitchbit, Dec 31, 2006.

Dec 31, 2006

Skin: Revolution by glitchbit at 11:30 PM (1,982 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. glitchbit
    OP

Member glitchbit GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ok I make no gaurantees that this will look right because A) I don't have a DS YET and B) My R4 won't be in til next week I just hope I can get a DS Lite by then oo... I have called several stores for awhile now and have had no success locating one

Ok here it is

Download Link

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know of any issues and I will fix them I like to have things pixel perfect.

2. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    Gj, looks great [​IMG]
    and that's the complicated thing, to know how it will actually look 'in action' when not not having the product yet to test it lol

3. glitchbit
    OP

United States
    Thanks, Killermech

Come to think about it if someone would dump the R4 I could just emulate it to test it lol

4. Kyuzumaki

Member Kyuzumaki GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    you realise that the current english firmware does not support skinning. So nobody can test it!

Nice work though will be good when they release 1.05eng!

5. marblearch111

Newcomer marblearch111 Member

United Kingdom
    Looks very good, this one really stands out, i have a UK DS, so its not compatible with 1.05 chinese, i cant wait til english firmware comes out.

glitchbit, keep up the good work, please do more nintendo themed skins like the one you already did

[​IMG]

the icons are covered by 'hardware is not compaitble' message.

6. glitchbit
    OP

United States
    Kyuzumaki, I did not realize that.. depending on how similar the firmwares have remaind I'd have been temped if I own one and a DS to translate it myself depending on how they do it and via a hex editor if needed.

But I don't have it yet and I guess no ones wants to waste time on something that will be translated anyways. Small things like this though if it is anything like the homebrew browser for the psp that came out awhile back are fairly easy and quick to translate =).

thanks for the comments, marblearch111 and for loading it up, so if you load the chinese firmware while owning a UK or US DS you get that error? I supose if you change your DS language to chinese it'd probably go away?

7. Kyuzumaki

Member Kyuzumaki GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    a translation would be nice! I had a quick look in my hex editor but couldn't see anything.

8. Danieluz

Member Danieluz GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    glichbit I think you should do a version without the minimize and so on buttons, as they have no real function right? =X Correct me if im wrong, and forgive me english =X

Anyway, wonderfull work! One of the best skins so far [​IMG]

9. glitchbit
    OP

United States
    Don't give me too much credit =) I mainly based it all off an official Nintendo theme that was released for windowblinds. And the icons came from someone else which were made probably 3 years ago lol.

And yes the minimize, maximize and close buttons have no real function and probably never will. But in saying that for me it is just part of the illusion to make it seem like it has more functionality than other themes. And mostly an illusion to onlookers that know no better lol. And originally the bottom half with the three icons were not going to be inside a window, but to keep things conguent I felt it would be best to keep the window. However I still miss the complete picture...

[​IMG]

That is in png format you can resave it as .bmp if you want to use it but like others have brought to my attention us english speaking people are still waiting on v1.05 to let us use these.. with english.

Oh yea I snagged a white DS Lite btw for $130, got very lucky I guess the seller did not know they are going for $160 easy and that is before shipping(which is sometimes outrageously too high). And it is $130 shipped, I suppose they must live too far away to want to drive who knows where to return it.

And here is a bigger picture of the rom list page, originally my entire theme was set out to be more apple OS X than Nintendo lol... did not end up that way

[​IMG]

10. glitchbit
    OP

United States
    I now need to update what those icons say, it is incorrect according to their review.

Game, Multimedia, and GBA launcher(slot 2).

Not that this matters much till the new firmware comes out

Here is the main GUI updated, w/o the buttons as requested... I supose I will still make the button version avaliable too but I am going to wait now til v1.05 gets released before saving the two or more version of this one as bitmaps in another zip file. And yea I am planning on releasing some new skins too.

[​IMG]

I know that is not a real gba but it just looks more interesting so there!

11. skfields01

Member skfields01 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I like the skin, but I noticed the lettering for the first two things is curved or wavy...and the last one is straight. It seems a bit out of place for some reason. Maybe try them all curved, straight, or wavy.

Maybe with the curved lettering and a different background... like the following

Icons
    [​IMG]

Logo
    [​IMG]

12. ShadowXP

Member ShadowXP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

United Kingdom
    My thoughts exactly. Perhaps release alternate versions, one with all text wavy and one with all text straight?

13. g.crow

Member g.crow beide mittelfinger hoch

United States
    great skin!

will this work on m3 simply?

mars

14. glitchbit
    OP

United States
    m3 simply will probably release a similar firmware update so I imagine so. And yea I guess I can make all the letters do the same thing now. I'd probably prefer to make them all curved vs wavy or straight. I will have to fix them later though, bout to leave to go to work. Also earlier when I had thought the last one was for system settings it did not look good curved or wavy.(too many letters I guess)

Thanks for the comments.