SKFU fund raising...

giavol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The famous hacker is asking for help in his quest of making the Vita a better system since Sony wont bother to much with it. In order to do that he needs the ps vita development software, which costs 2000 euros. So far he got about 7% in not even a day, so i thing he is going to reach the goal this soon, i am looking forward for Majoras Mask on the ps vita screen with no lag.
If you are interested in donating here is the linkhttp://streetskaterfu.blogspot.de/2012/06/vita-devkit-fund-raising.html

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I agree with Waluigi, I don't know this guy (granted, I'm not very interested in the Vita or PSP hacking atm), but donating so some random person is rarely a good idea, besides, nowhere in his post does it say that they will make emulators for the Vita, sure, the Vita has enough power to emulate the N64, but there's a lot of things needed to make stuff run properly... Also, for the sake of the Vita and 3DS, they don't deserve to be exploited so soon in their life time, maybe when the Vita is one year old or something... >.>

Edit: Grammar errors. z.z

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
You know there is no guarantee of having Majora's Mask at full speed?
It's a quad-core with a quad-gpu. It's pretty much guaranteed - the specs are there.

Donating to the unknown, with no guarantee of what they're promising, is never a wise choice.
It's not the unknown - its SKFU.
The power may be there, but we don't even have 100% N64 emulation on PC.

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
You know there is no guarantee of having Majora's Mask at full speed?
It's a quad-core with a quad-gpu. It's pretty much guaranteed - the specs are there.

Donating to the unknown, with no guarantee of what they're promising, is never a wise choice.
Are you still in 2005, we have 100% gamecube/wii emulation in HD right now.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Are you still in 2005, we have 100% gamecube/wii emulation in HD right now.
Uh, no, we don't. When's the last time you looked at the compatibility list? Sound in Smash Bros Melee (yes, the GC one) still cuts out or makes static, super paper mario's door drawing and transition effects are messed up, luigi's mansion doesn't show shadows... tons of games have graphical or gameplay issues, and there's tons that don't run AT ALL, crashing on startup or very soon into the game (sometimes at or before the title screen).

"100% emulation" is not "the games I want to play run somewhat playable".

Reactions: 2 people

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no guarantee that this will amount to anything, but that's always the sort of risk in projects like this; you just have to take a leap of faith in hoping that there are tangible results.

It will be interesting to see what he manages to accomplish.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
Wat? And which part of N64 emulation is lacking, exactly?
I forget what it's called (I'm not good with the hardware), but there is a chip or a core or something they haven't managed to hack properly.

I forget what it's called. Like I said, I'm not good with this.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I forget what it's called (I'm not good with the hardware), but there is a chip or a core or something they haven't managed to hack properly.

I forget what it's called. Like I said, I'm not good with this.
From what I experienced, N64 emulation on the PC is near-perfect and whatever that chip does must be rather insignificant. In any case, it's doable on the Vita, which was the whole point.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Lots of stuff?
2z4mp77.png

EDIT: The full list of games that don't run at all or run with issues doesn't even fit on the screen (but to be fair this does include minor graphical issues, but these are still examples of imperfect emulation).

Reactions: 5 people

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
Lots of stuff?
2z4mp77.png

EDIT: The full list of games that don't run at all or run with issues doesn't even fit on the screen (but to be fair this does include minor graphical issues, but these are still examples of imperfect emulation).
Thanks Rydian.
I saw a thread on /v/ all about this the other day, I've forgotten most of it though. :/

My point is, we don't have perfect PC emulation. I wouldn't get your hopes up for perfect Vita emulation.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Lots of stuff?
Not that I want to crap on your rainbow or anything, but isn't this because Rare used custom chips on their cartridges and other hardware magic, not due to the fact that N64 is not emulated properly? Pretty sure that emulating extra hardware does not fall under the category of emulating the console itself - it's more of a compatibility issue.

Donate to me. I'm not the unknown. I'm Puppy_Washer.
I'll attempt to wash some puppies, but there are no guarantees.
SKFU is a well-known hacker in the PS3/Vita scene - you're some random forum member. There's a difference.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Lots of stuff?
Not that I want to crap on your rainbow or anything, but isn't this because Rare used custom chips on their cartridges and other hardware magic, not due to the fact that N64 is not emulated properly? Pretty sure that emulating extra hardware does not fall under the category of emulating the console itself - it's more of a compatibility issue.
The point wasn't that specific game, the point was the size of the entire list.

My point is, we don't have perfect PC emulation. I wouldn't get your hopes up for perfect Vita emulation.
Well there's a big gap between "perfect" and "playable". N64 emulation on the PSP is nowhere near "perfect", but some games are "playable".

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Lots of stuff?
The point wasn't that specific game, the point was the size of the entire list.

Well there's a big gap between "perfect" and "playable". N64 emulation on the PSP is nowhere near "perfect", but some games are "playable".
I think I'll take my chances with "Playable". I can withstand a glitch or two.

Wait, I won't! There's not a whole lot of N64 games I'd like to play anyways!

...wait, why am I here? :P

D

Deleted-188346

SKFU is a well-known hacker in the PS3/Vita scene - you're some random forum member. There's a difference.
And that makes him trustworthy with 2,000 euros how?
He may not purchase the development software.
Even if he did, he may not accomplish anything.
Even if he accomplished something, people were taking a stupid risk in the first place.

At least with me, the odds of a puppy being washed are pretty high, as puppies and shampoo are relatively easy to obtain.

Reactions: 3 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
And that makes him trustworthy with 2,000 euros how?
He may not purchase the development software.
Even if he did, he may not accomplish anything.
Even if he accomplished something, people were taking a stupid risk in the first place.

At least with me, the odds of a puppy being washed are pretty high, as puppies and shampoo are easy to obtain.
This is exactly the cancerous type of thinking that kills scenes. Everybody wants consoles hacked, everybody wants exploits released but nobody feels like funding it.

If *not buying a $2 worth soda* is that much of a big deal to you then yeah, I guess donating is a bad idea. All it takes is a round 1000 people not buying *1* soda and SKFU's one step closer to hacking the thing. He *would* buy the software, hacking is his passion.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember when the Atari 2600 was new and exciting lol
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker