Skateboards/Longboards

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm thinking of buying a longboard/skateboard/cruiser to get around, not necessarily for tricks (though I wouldn't mind
tongue.gif
)
From what I know, longboards and cruisers are better for transport, one push gets you further, and leaning is for turning (which I would prefer).
Can someone tell me what the real differences between them are? And which would be best for me (mainly going from place to place)

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been skate boarding my whole life, and the one thing about it is that it's the worst method of transportation ever.

The only reason to ever use a skateboard as transportation is if you are going to skate somewhere, and honestly, it's still a dread.

Long boarding is alright, but you should just get a bike. It's a hundred times easier, it's healthier for you (Doing more work without realizing it), and it's safer (If you care about that).

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
^ I didn't really see that many people with longboards lol

@awssk8er: I heard that skateboards aren't too good for that too, so I think I'd rather get a longboard.

But what's the difference between a longboard and a cruiser?

Sop

groovy dude lmao
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I use my skateboard for transport..

Longboards are longer.. Cruisers are basically a small longboard.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would say look at what you have to do- if you have to dart through town and traffic a long somewhat more unwieldy board is not going to be quite as useful as one you can kick about and kick into your hand for no real effort not to mention being able to navigate curbs is a useful trick.

If you are less inclined towards tricks get some big wheels (up to you what hardness- soft are slower but hard will more likely throw you upon an encounter with a stone and everybody meets a stone eventually) and nice bearings (up to you if you want to go ceramic) to go on a regular board.

On the other hand if you are faced with smooth hills a longboard could work although I would still argue it is a more dangerous prospect (you can lean to turn on a normal skateboard but having the tail as well is also useful).

As for skateboard is not good transport I will grant that longer distances or carrying heavy things I would sooner have a bike but for inner city stuff I would go a skateboard any day of the week.

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd use it for pretty long distances, but not necessarily in tight city areas. I also don't mind about the size. unless it's really huge and becomes a handicap...

Also, which is faster in general (^ you said wheels matter here)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Softer wheels have more friction and are more likely to roll over/absorb stones and bumps in the road (never had a better demonstration of the "object in motion tends to stay in motion" rule with the external force part tending to come from face to pavement friction).
Larger wheels tend to make for faster speeds (smaller ones allow tricks to come more easily) or more speed to be retained.

Bearings- if anybody says anything towards the end of the Abec rating being useful ignore them. Trouble is I tend to score my bearings from bearing shops these days rather than skate shops so I am not sure what goes. Assuming you are in a proper skateboard shop (that is to say the person working there rides one) just ask them. Never go for the $7 sports shop things though unless it is the difference between having a working board and not.

Longboards are usually about 1m in length, sometimes slightly less and more often quite a bit longer. You pretty much lose the tail to push down on and they are not so rigid as more conventional boards which can trouble things. To my mind this is a handicap not to mention such things are a bit unwieldy (you can hold a regular board or stick it on your back where a 1.?m board will at best see you do your best ladder/board slapstick routine).

I should also mention speed wobble- some longboards will have inverted trucks and a longer wheelbase or even some sprung trucks that lessens this but everybody gets them and they are worse when you start out. If you have ever learned to ride a motorbike it is kind of like countersteering- annoying when you start but you learn to do it and ultimately make use of it and wonder how you ever got on without it.

Personally- see if you can score a regular skateboard (the popularity of skateboard got itself a bit of a slow puncture a couple of years back so you can probably score one cheaply enough although if it is has sat in a garage you might need to replace wheels and bearings but that is done easily enough) and learn to ride that. If speed and hills are then something you want to do then look at longboards.

@yuyuyup if you mean the ones barely bigger than a shoe those are the hardest of all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte