Skateboarding Tips Needed.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by SavageWaffle, Mar 8, 2008.

Mar 8, 2008
  1. SavageWaffle
    OP

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    So im thinking of a new sport. Or you can say hobbie. I choose Skateboarding. Is there like a guide i can find online that has a step by step guide to skateboard? I know my gears. Just need to know how to do it.

2. jeklnoo

Member jeklnoo GBAtemp Fan

United States
    you jump on the flat thing with wheels (the skate-board), and push yourself with one foot

3. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    See: Youtube.

4. Moots

Member Moots The Incredible Sulk

Canada
  5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Resisting the urge to post something asinine like do not fall off but I will help out.

First of all you will get hurt (no ifs, no buts), it is all about risk avoidance though: learn to maintain your board. Tighten your trucks to medium tightness at first (loose and tight "settings" have their advantages but I advocate learning in the middle), make sure they are bolted to the board, do not use risers (they go between the truck and board)

Control: it all comes from this and without it you will not get far, good news is that if you are not magically gifted with it you can learn it:
    Learn to ride it up and down:
    there are two methods of pushing mongo and normal/regular. Mongo has the foot at the back of the board with the other used to push while normal is what most people do and has a foot at the front of the board.
    After this you have regular and goofy footing. Regular has the left foot forwards while goofy has the right foot forwards.
    You should be able to tell which suits you fairly quickly.
    Learn to turn both by leaning the board and by by pressing down on the tail to pick the front up and turning that.

Learn to ride it at speed.
    Learn to stop when going at speed.
    learn to manual (rear wheels mainly but front is good to know too). It might suit you to learn to manual up a curb before pressing the nose to finish getting up a curb.
    Learn to ride it backwards/fakie and switch too.
    Find a ramp and learn to turn, come down fakie and then learn to pump.

These days the fundamental trick is the ollie, I suggest learning it on the flat first and try to learn it while moving (you can do it stationary but you will be held back if you do). There are loads of guides to this: the basic idea though is that you press the tail to get the nose in the air and then lift your back foot while sliding the front foot forward. The front foot pulls the rear into the air and then you land. Try to land feet over the bolts (it is not so bad now but later if you do not you will kill boards.
    First just get it then get it over a line and then up stuff, off stuff, over stuff, over distance. Do not go for maximum height from the word go or you will just end up frustrated.

From here it is up to you, a good chunk of people learn to kickflip (pretty much like an ollie but you angle your front foot at 45 degrees and kick back and down with the foot), others learn to pop shove it (45 degrees again but you place your rear foot on the opposite side of the tail to aid spin), 180 (a good one to learn, you will have to search for this one as there are many ways). Everything else until you get this down is pretty much a variation on those (a different direction of spin or more spin normally) or a combination of them (a varial kickflip is a combination of a pop shove it and kickflip).
    You could also learn some older stuff like no-comply (a kind of one footed ollie, can easily be tweaked with stuff like impossibles and pop shove its too), boneless (you grab the board and plant your foot to the floor to launch yourself into the air), early grab (you grab the board and physically haul yourself into the air)

As for actual tips there are a few sites with a few things but by and large most sites are ramp plans, park reviews http://rampplans.org/
    A magazine usually works fairly well too.

6. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    just play thps till you can do tricks like him.

7. Neko

Member Neko Been a while.

Germany
    Skateboarding is cool. I do it sometimes and my friends too. (One of my friens skates like every damn day) I can't even ollie and my Deck got crushed because of my tries , but I think it's just me.

One tip : Go to a skateplace. Most likely there are skaters which you can ask if they could show you how to do a trick. Most Skaters are friendly to beginners , so you should try it. [​IMG]

€dit:
    @FAST :
    Why shouldn't you use risers ?

8. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    Make sure you have a good health plan.

9. Awdofgum

Member Awdofgum Wadofgum

United States
    I can ollie! [​IMG]
    but nothing else, i'd imagine it would take a lot of practice to become good.

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Risers are OK once you get going and the extra cushioning and/or lift can do wonders but they tend to drop any control and technical capability you might have and lack of control when you are starting out is fatal as I already harped on about.
    Not to mention most people seem to start out on parks/street rather than full blown ramp skating which is what they tend to come into their own in.

11. Raisingod

Member Raisingod GBAtemp Fan

Israel
    Also good quality trunks are a must since when trying to do an ollie and practicing on it you will tire the steal.I also suggest to stay away from the japan style one as they are no good for beginners [​IMG]

12. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Practice, practice, practice.

Sure, you're going to fall on your ass, get some bruises - and hell, may even break a couple bones, but you've just got to get out there and learn for yourself. You can't become a pro in a day, so just take your time and practice.

So grab a board, some shoes with good grip on the bottom, and get at it [​IMG]

13. dakeyras

Member dakeyras GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Wear a helmet! Some people think they're too tough for helmets and that it's not the cool thing to do or something. But after seeing several people smear their brains on the pavement I'd say you should definately wear a helmet and other protectional wear. [​IMG]

14. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    see the thing with skateboarding is that it requires tacit knowledge. you could read 0349029402394039438257438576 guides on it, but till you actually practise a shit load, you wont have a clue.