Size of save for G6

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by joshuatan, Nov 9, 2006.

Nov 9, 2006

Size of save for G6 by joshuatan at 8:50 PM (456 Views / 0 Likes) 1 replies

1. joshuatan
    OP

Newcomer joshuatan Newbie

United States
    Hey all,

I'm thinking of getting the G6 over the DS xtreme since it seems to over way more functionality than the DS-X.

However one point brought up in the DS-X review over here at gpatemp was that:

"Save games are held temporarily in 2mbit of EEPROM memory on-board the DS-Xtreme.....
    But what if the game requires more than 2mbit of save space? If Nintendo decide to come out with a game that uses a 3 or 4mbit save then will the DS-Xtreme be incompatible? No. The DS-X team have told me that the EEPROM size is dynamic, and if the game needs it, it can borrow a chunk of memory off the internal 512MB of NAND flash memory, and then backup the save just as normal when the DS-Xtreme is rebooted."

Does the G6 lite + passcard 3 have this functionality? Or would some future games just not be playable with the G6?

Moreover, from the literature the passcard 3 is a nopass device while the ds-x can function as a passme device. Does that mean that the ds-x will only allow gba games to be run from a flashcart?

I'd be really grateful if somebody could answer the save memory question for me since there's really nothing stopping me from getting a G6 except for that.

Thanks!

2. WishCow

Newcomer WishCow Advanced Member

Hungary
    Hmm I don't have an exact answer but just recently they made the save files bigger.

At first the save files were 256kbyte, and after the Pokemon games came out they released a new firmware for the card, that made the saves 512kbyte. (which is 4mbit if you do the math)

So I would say saves won't be a problem, but someone will probably have a more accurate answer, or correct me if I'm wrong somewhere.