Site Suggestion

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by DarkWay, Mar 12, 2010.

?

Is this a good idea or not?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Mar 12, 2010

Site Suggestion by DarkWay at 2:01 PM (2,233 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. DarkWay
    OP

Member DarkWay tsubasa hiroge

United Kingdom
    Okay now I know its frustrating for everyone (except the......"people" that do it) to have threads full of

2. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    It was done before for a couple of major releases (can't remember which ones) but it still didn't stop people from asking these questions. Just ignore those things if you can't take it. [​IMG]

3. Twiffles

Member Twiffles танковые победы

Germany
    You know how many times that's been done? Plus the fact that no one seems to know how to read in those topics in the first place. Alongside the people that purposely join to either troll the kids or link the rom on purpose.

4. DarkWay
    OP

United Kingdom
    it's not that I can't take it I just feel sorry for the hassle it puts the mods through and I'd just like to help keep temp as "clean" as possible anyway I can

5. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    What WOULD be much easier, if people used the report button and NOT reply to trolls/rom links etc.
    But its hard for people to understand. (Maybe making the report button clear? (red text and all that))

And why do these 'site suggestions' come up every time a major release has just come out?

6. DarkWay
    OP

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

7. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    So you would like one thread with (possibly) 1,000+ posts?
    Wouldn't that be harder for mods?

With different threads, the speed people posting is decreased. If it was just one thread, the speed will be increased therefore moar modding.

8. DarkWay
    OP

United Kingdom
    does it really make a difference? i'd add up to the same amount of post over various threads anyway wouldn't it? and the same amount of time switching between threads and pages, plus I'm sure when a post is reported the mods get straight to that post and don't have to read the entire thread.

EDIT:- and 1 or 2, 3 threads tops should be enough there really is no need for any more than that (polls are excluded unless its the same question ofcourse (but that would just be fail [​IMG]).

9. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I voted no, because although i know where you are trying to go with this, it will not work because these notices will always be ignored, and the message in the notice is already in the site rules which everybody should of read and took notice of before signing up as a member.

10. DarkWay
    OP

United Kingdom
    yeah but barely anyone reads them [​IMG] you should be forced to sit there and read them before your able to sign up and the rule that gets broken the most (like the one asking/posting roms) should be in a header on every thread if your not a member or not signed in (don't know if this is there already I haven't been signed out for a LONG time)

11. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Maybe actually banning the people who break the rules would be a good idea.
    The rules state that a ban will be issued but usually it's just a warn.

12. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    This would probably work eventually when these rule breakers get the message, but the rules state "failure to comply with these rules "MAY" result in an instant ban"

13. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Actually a few people were banned for requesting ROM links and such during the height of the pokemon hysteria. And the "Do not request ROM links etc" warning have been posted on the front page several times before when big games have been released. At the end of the day these measures only make so much of an impact, and we will always have problems with people joining and breaking the rules during these big releases.

14. ZackVee

Newcomer ZackVee Advanced Member

United States
    Sounds like a decent idea to me, it would stop at least a FEW people.

15. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Put it in giant bold red at the top of every page in the relevant system's section, below the navigation "tree" and above the thread's top buttons.

That way they HAVE to see it every page load, then if it does happen they can just be insta-perma-banned because there's no excuse, they HAD to see it each page load, and they just don't care.

16. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    I say put registration at Admin-approval during big releases like Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, Final Fantasy, whatever. It'd at least help deter the noobs a bit...Or up the post-limit-per-minute settings. Or rather, lower it. At least for people under 100 posts. Heck, I'd say make it so you can't make a new topic until you've got 30 posts just because.

17. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    Well sometimes we do have big red text underneath a rom release saying we do not host the rom here. Not always though.

But the general policy is to ban on sight anyone who links to the rom. I've done a few bannings since Silver and Gold were released.

18. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    Since Silver and Gold? Dayum. I don't know this site existed in the 1990's ._. Damn, wish I'd've known...

Warning: Spoilers inside!

19. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Could always like, Make the first post visible throughout all the pages with the warning. that way people can't deny they didn't see "we don't provide rom links e.t.c" Chances a lot of the people who ask for the links don't see the warning in the first place as clicking on the thread on the index will bring you to the lastest page of the thread.

I've seen a couple sites do this, but not for the same purpose.

20. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    That'd possibly be more complicated than a warning at the top of each page, which can be quickly/dirtily hacked in.

lolpseudocode
    Code:
    if ($parent_section == "NDS") { include("./custom/warnings/big_release.txt"); }