Site Search

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by halljames, May 26, 2009.

May 26, 2009

Site Search by halljames at 1:15 PM (1,135 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. halljames
    OP

Member halljames GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I see many people telling newbies or just people asking questions to use the search feature. That would be great if the search feature were actualy any good. I seem to remember a time when the search option was a proper one, allowing you to select which forums to seach, date validity etc. Now it just does a boring old messy google search.

I assume there was probably a technical reason for this, its just a shame thats all.

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
  3. halljames
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks for that. I did not know you could still get to the proper search routine. Am I missing the link or something though, because I cannot see a button or option for this anywhere on the site.

Cheers Dong.

4. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    There is a link under the serach box but if you guys cant see it then I guess it only shows for staff.

5. Eon-Rider

Member Eon-Rider GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    This was a point I brought up in someone's blog entry a while ago. I think it would really help if the advanced search was visible to everyone. Google search is just... crap because it presents many irrelevant threads.

6. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    The link isn't publicly available to normal users as the advance search method (or the IPB search method in general) can put a big strain on the server under heavy use. Once it was the default search engine but with hundreds to thousands of members on at a given time and many of them using the search, it ended up slowing down the site.

7. halljames
    OP

United Kingdom
    That makes total sense, as lately I have noticed that GBAtemp seems to slow down to a crawl, and sometimes is even unavailable. I think its already overloaded as it is.

8. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    Doesn't it slow the site down having these people create many many threads asking questions they can easily find with the advance search and in turn get a dozen flames from idiots?