Site Search

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by halljames, May 26, 2009.

1. halljames
    OP

halljames GBAtemp Regular

Jan 16, 2004
    Newcastle, UK
    I see many people telling newbies or just people asking questions to use the search feature. That would be great if the search feature were actualy any good. I seem to remember a time when the search option was a proper one, allowing you to select which forums to seach, date validity etc. Now it just does a boring old messy google search.

I assume there was probably a technical reason for this, its just a shame thats all.

2. Hadrian

Hadrian Better than Craigslist

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
  3. halljames
    OP

Jan 16, 2004
    Newcastle, UK
    Thanks for that. I did not know you could still get to the proper search routine. Am I missing the link or something though, because I cannot see a button or option for this anywhere on the site.

Cheers Dong.

4. Hadrian

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    There is a link under the serach box but if you guys cant see it then I guess it only shows for staff.

5. Eon-Rider

Eon-Rider GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 15, 2008
    This was a point I brought up in someone's blog entry a while ago. I think it would really help if the advanced search was visible to everyone. Google search is just... crap because it presents many irrelevant threads.

6. Narin

Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

Former Staff
    Feb 19, 2008
    United States
    The link isn't publicly available to normal users as the advance search method (or the IPB search method in general) can put a big strain on the server under heavy use. Once it was the default search engine but with hundreds to thousands of members on at a given time and many of them using the search, it ended up slowing down the site.

7. halljames
    OP

Jan 16, 2004
    Newcastle, UK
    That makes total sense, as lately I have noticed that GBAtemp seems to slow down to a crawl, and sometimes is even unavailable. I think its already overloaded as it is.

8. Hadrian

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    Doesn't it slow the site down having these people create many many threads asking questions they can easily find with the advance search and in turn get a dozen flames from idiots?