Question Site is randomly crashing for me

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Dionicio3, May 8, 2017.

1. Dionicio3
    OP

Dionicio3 GBATemp's Official Skiddo™ | Founder of Skiddoism

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    Hello! Sometimes while I browsing gbatemp, google chrome just randomly brings up the "Aw snap, something went wrong" page. It happens to be on computer and on mobile, it is dry annoying, and I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem. Thanks

2. Dionicio3
    OP

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    Ok, I have some more info, it seems to crash more when there is a popup (edit screen, user screen, viewing warnings)

3. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view location.
    If your using the standard 32bit version, your likely running out of memory. This can happen when you got a lot of tabs open. 32bit version of Chrome can only address upto 2GB of RAM, this is a limitation of anything 32bit not just Chrome. It is not something you can fix, you can download and use the 64bit version of Chrome to delay this problem.

4. Dionicio3
    OP

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    If I was running out of memory, I would be able to tell, so it's not that

5. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    When viewing on mobile Chrome, the site won't crash, but it will lock up periodically when scrolling threads and even more so when writing a reply in the quick reply box. The keyboard becomes very unresponsive.

Quantumcat likes this.
  6. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    I got a system with 128GB of RAM and pages crash all the time on the 32bit version of Chrome. If your referring to system messages of running out of RAM, Chrome, Windows, and Android all memory paging so you don't physically run out of memory space.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

When the flash plugin crashes, the cause has always been it ran out of allotted memory. The majority of pages that crash is due to running out of allotted memory. Scripts that require more memory over time can cause a page to crash.

The whole point is the 32bit version of Chrome sucks at memory management at longer periods of time when you run it.

---

Not being able to access the on screen keyboard IS an example of Android running out of memory.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  7. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    So it's a general performance issue then.

8. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    More or less. That is why when Android came out it had anywhere from 256-512MB of RAM and has only increased in RAM to the 2GB limit today. (4GB of RAM or more use a 64bit version of Android)

Back then the unresponsive keyboard issue was more prevailent. You don't see alot of this issue on today's android phones.

Last edited by how_do_i_do_that, May 10, 2017
    Subtle Demise likes this.