Hacking Sister updated 3DS firmware by accident, Gateway3DS not working.

Xirix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So my sister borrowed a 3DS game from a friend despite the fact she has a Gateway3DS, and it's updated her firmware from 4.5 to 5.1 something, so the gateway has stopped working.

Is there a way to get the gateway working again even though she's over firmware 4.5? It's been a long time since I looked up anything about this.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my sister borrowed a 3DS game from a friend despite the fact she has a Gateway3DS, and it's updated her firmware from 4.5 to 5.1 something, so the gateway has stopped working.

Is there a way to get the gateway working again even though she's over firmware 4.5? It's been a long time since I looked up anything about this.
Wow, a gateway user

You could downgrade back to 4.x

Are you still using the thing to run .3ds or primarily playing installed cias on emunand?

Honestly that thing is so outdated, you should just install b9s and give up on the thing

Xirix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, a gateway user

You could downgrade back to 4.x

Are you still using the thing to run .3ds or primarily playing installed cias on emunand?

Honestly that thing is so outdated, you should just install b9s and give up on the thing

Yeah I know it's outdated but she knows how to use it and I'd rather not teach her any nuances of custom firmware and such if I don't have to. She just uses it to run .3DS off the cart, never installed any in cia format.

How do you downgrade? I'll go with that if it doesn't require physical hardware to do, if not I guess I'll install B9S.

Xirix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, well I guess I'll just install that then, it says it makes flashcarts that have been blocked out work so not really a point in downgrading at that point is there? Or will I need to do something to get it working again after putting the CFW in?

Okay I'll look into the guide, thanks. Just to verify, do I need to do anything beforehand as it says for use on a stock 3DS? The Gateway3DS uses a NDS exploit to work, I assume when the system got upgraded it got rid of it, but just wanna mske sure I'm good to just follow the guide and don't need to do anything to remove that beforehand? I think Emunand is on the flashcart itself, but the NDS exploit was installed on the system itself I believe.

Last edited by Xirix,

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you are on 4.0.0 to 8.1.0 you can use soundhax to get things going. as for needing to do anything else, I think you are good, just follow the guide, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Oh, well I guess I'll just install that then, it says it makes flashcarts that have been blocked out work so not really a point in downgrading at that point is there? Or will I need to do something to get it working again after putting the CFW in?

Okay I'll look into the guide, thanks. Just to verify, do I need to do anything beforehand as it says for use on a stock 3DS? The Gateway3DS uses a NDS exploit to work, I assume when the system got upgraded it got rid of it, but just wanna mske sure I'm good to just follow the guide and don't need to do anything to remove that beforehand? I think Emunand is on the flashcart itself, but the NDS exploit was installed on the system itself I believe.
Gateway can't work above 11.2 (or something low like that). So you have to hack your 3DS and then decide if you want to go back to Gateway or just forget about it and stay on 11.9.
You're good to go.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

Xirix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay I found a spare 32gig SD laying around, everything went smoothly, thanks everyone for the input, minus the jackass who made a useless post.

One last question though, once a .cia game has been installed, can it be easily moved off the SD card and put back on as needed? I assume whereever it puts it is accessible? It's just my test game took like an hour for FBI to install it, and if I want to make space in the future it would be nice if I can just drag back in the extracted contents.

Last edited by Xirix,
Reactions: wicksand420

Xirix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No I mean, can I move the installed files off the SD card if I need to and then put them back when I want the game, rather than installing it through FBI with the .cia file again, the files that go in the 3DS folder I presume.

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure, I think if you make a copy of the nintendo folder, then delete the game, you could potentially move the files back, but I think you would need something like faketik.3dsx to install the ticket file again to make it show up on the home menu, Its been a while since I messed around with the 3ds, so I might be wrong.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
No I mean, can I move the installed files off the SD card if I need to and then put them back when I want the game, rather than installing it through FBI with the .cia file again, the files that go in the 3DS folder I presume.
You can't really do that.

Unless maybe you took a backup of your Nintendo 3DS folder before you installed the game, installed it, then made a new backup and deleted the folder from your SD card and copied the backup from before you installed it back on. But then you'd lose any save progress from the time in between. And when you wanted the game back and you deleted the current folder and copied the backup from after installing - you'd lose save progress again. Not worthwhile at all.

You won't need to uninstall games very often anyway. How many games can you possibly play at once? A 32GB card is cheap and will hold 20-50 games depending on their size. Remember that installed games take up less space than games in .3ds format - .3ds format games contain all the filler from cartridges that isn't actually needed by the game.

Reactions: wicksand420

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know for a fact that you can install your games to one sd, then put a different sd in and the games from your first sd, don't show up on the second, so if you didn't want your sister to play your games, she could have a different sd. this is convenient if you have the old models, but not very convenient if you have the newer models, as it is hard to take the sd out.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: