Single channel RAM vs dual channel difference in gaming?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by nico445, Dec 14, 2012.

1. nico445
    OP

Member nico445 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Recently I upgraded my pc from 4 gb to 8 gb. at first i had 2x4 kingston memory dimms.
    but unfortunately I bought one 8 GB stick instead of 2 x 4 (didn't check right).
    Now while gaming I have the feeling that my FPS is quite a bit lower.. sometimes even stuttering. could this be because of the RAM or is it something different?

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Gaming is not majorly dependent on RAM bandwidth. In fact latency can play a bigger role than bandwidth. If the new stick you have is a higher latency than the old ones, performance could be worse... but unless it's a huge difference it's unlikely to even be noticeable on either front.

3. nico445
    OP

Netherlands
  4. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    AFAIK when two RAM modules with varied latency are installed in a Dual-Channel build, the RAM practically works at the lowest latency out of the two to allow synchronous operation (it always goes for the common denominator available for both sticks), correct me if I'm wrong with an article please.

5. nico445
    OP

Netherlands
    I've only got the Corsair module installed right now the other kit is going into another system.