since when the hell did we have swear word filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what's going on with this world!?!

i can't say [censored] with out it being censored...

and the censored word is R A P E what is going on here!?!

the other cuss words are fine but... i don't understand why.

is there a reason behind this?

let me know i guess...

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry, but I can't even pay attention to what you said. Is English not your first language? "Me failed English, thats unpossible," - Ralph Wiggum.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
It's obviously because they are offensive words. End of story. And by the way, getting around the word filter to spell out [censored] is a bannable/suspendable offense, if a mod is on a bad day. Have a fun vacation.
tpi.gif

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? You need that word for everyday conversation?
Absolutely must have it in order to convey your thoughts to others?
Why?

The reason why it's censored is that it was being overused and made a number of people uncomfortable.
And I for one stand by that decision.

Also: I've now seen how you discovered the wordfilter; by making a 'joke' in poor taste. How surprising.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Vulpes Abnocto said:
Really? You need that word for everyday conversation?
Absolutely must have it in order to convey your thoughts to others?
Why?

The reason why it's censored is that it was being overused and made a number of people uncomfortable.
And I for one stand by that decision.

As do I. Please don't ever use that word in a post again, even in the EoF, towards any user, not just me.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
One of the nice unintended consequences of censorship is that it forces people to be creative to get their point across.

For instance, the angel in DQ 9 says flappin instead of *uckin. I like that.
tongue.gif
(sorry if that is a nerdy example)

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Snailface said:
One of the nice unintended consequences of censorship is that it forces people to be creative to get their point across.

tongue.gif

But mind you, theres a point where it's not funny at all.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
the word you cheated the censor with... I don't even know why you would use it so lightly. I grew up and stopped doing it a while ago (the last time I accidentally let it slip; sure enough I offended a great friend of mine).

It's not even something that should be needed on a gaming forum. There are ways to get your point across without using these censored words. Vulpes, we shall stand strong!

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:

tongue.gif

When our wordfilter consists of a single word, circumvention of the filter is just damn annoying.
You can say a lot of things here. You can type the words shit, fuck, bitch, bastard, damn, hell, ass, motherfucker, cocksucker, tits and more.
Combine them in creative ways. We really don't give a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut about that, so long as it's not in thread titles, or used as an insult to another 'temper.
Is that so much to ask?

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
Vulpes Abnocto said:
Snailface said:

tongue.gif

When our wordfilter consists of a single word, circumvention of the filter is just damn annoying.
You can say a lot of things here. You can type the words shit, fuck, bitch, bastard, damn, hell, ass, motherfucker, cocksucker, tits and more.
Combine them in creative ways. We really don't give a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut about that, so long as it's not in thread titles, or used as an insult to another 'temper.
Is that so much to ask?
This.

Although there was an instance where i used the censored word lightly........

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Vulpes Abnocto said:
Snailface said:

tongue.gif

Is that so much to ask?
I agree that using the r word in it's most offensive context should be censored. But what if it is used in a non-offensive context like a news story or synonym for "screwed over"? That's what I was encouraging creative word usage for.

Example:

I'm tired of getting r____ by Nintendo's TOS.
becomes----> I'm tired of getting shafted by Nintendo's TOS.

In other words I was appealing for the OP to consult his vocabulary instead of circumventing the filter. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
We allow other swear words like "fuck," "shit," etc. but we don't allow that word because some members of this community have actually been victims of that crime. It has scarred them and the memories of that traumatic event still hurt them.

And you go and make a topic about it and use the word AGAIN after Vulpes told you not to do it in this thread. Genius.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aaaactually, that's where he used it initially.

I didn't actually find it until we began discussing it in this thread.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct. The past tense variation was never added to the filter. Nor were any others.
Don't ask me why.

But we would rather those not be used, either.

elenar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Words are just words. If we're going to censor the word the original post refers to, why isn't the phrase "nonconsensual intercourse" censored? Or perhaps "sexual assault", or "brassica napus" (a crop used for bio-diesel production that happens to be named 'sexual assault', apparently).

It's frankly ridiculous. Words have no value other than their meanings, and clearly every word in the english language either has additional meanings you're censoring by censoring the word, or alternate synonymous phraseology that is apparently perfectly okay.

If we can't use the word [censored] then we can't even hotlines for victims of that crime to call. Really, folks, if a female temper made a post on their blog asking what they should do, because they've just been sexually assaulted, people can't even tell them to call a [censored] hotline.

Tell me that isn't ridiculous.

kevan

Imagination rules the world
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uncle FEFL said:
I raped on PSN AND Xbox last night. Those non-rapists didn't stand a chance in [censored]-hell.

Yep, it's only the four-letter, actual word. None of the colloquial (or something similar) terms are blocked.
*Sighs*
You could have said you fucked them up, but instead you push the wordfilter intelligence level.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Densetsu9000 said:
We allow other swear words like "fuck," "shit," etc. but we don't allow that word because some members of this community have actually been victims of that crime. It has scarred them and the memories of that traumatic event still hurt them.

And you go and make a topic about it and use the word AGAIN after Vulpes told you not to do it in this thread. Genius.QUOTE(Vulpes Abnocto @ Sep 8 2011, 12:10 AM) Aaaactually, that's where he used it initially.

I didn't actually find it until we began discussing it in this thread.
Then I retract my last statement and apologize to DJ Place for jumping the gun.

But my point still stands about not using the word if certain members on this forum don't want to see it being used. It's one thing if a super-Christian who never swears is offended by the word "fuck," but if someone's actually experienced r***, they shouldn't have to see the word in any context if they don't want to.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
elenar said:
Words are just words. If we're going to censor the word the original post refers to, why isn't the phrase "nonconsensual intercourse" censored? Or perhaps "sexual assault", or "brassica napus" (a crop used for bio-diesel production that happens to be named 'sexual assault', apparently).

It's frankly ridiculous. Words have no value other than their meanings, and clearly every word in the english language either has additional meanings you're censoring by censoring the word, or alternate synonymous phraseology that is apparently perfectly okay.

If we can't use the word [censored] then we can't even hotlines for victims of that crime to call. Really, folks, if a female temper made a post on their blog asking what they should do, because they've just been sexually assaulted, people can't even tell them to call a [censored] hotline.

If we're going to censor such and such, then why not such and such, waahhhhhhhhh, cry, super literal interpretation because it strokes my ego, wahhhhhhhhhhhh.

It's censored for a reason. The staff decided, and the decision is not up for discussion.

They aren't called rape hotlines any more either. Get with the times.

Inori

Trophies
Website
gokusaishiki.wordpress.com
XP
Country
elenar said:

Let's be honest, the only people people to have the temerity to use the word probably don't have the intelligence to use the phrase "non-consensual intercourse", which you, unfortunately, have now informed them of.

The most common use of the word here roughly means "was done over by". It makes light of the actual crime, and that's what offends people.

As for the hotline example, you could just tell the victim to call a hotline. I doubt they're going to wonder which hotline they should be calling. Also, I'm pretty sure calling a hotline would be one of the first things on a victim's list of priorities, rather than going to GBATemp and asking for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs