elmoreas

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have had this PC for 3.5yrs, it still works perfectly and has no issues but I don't really tax it that much as I am not a PC gamer like I used to be, so I do not know how it would hold up to modern games. I just use it for MS Office and the Net and some A/V Editing now. I wonder if I should get a new PC or if this one is fine for a little while longer. Here are the specs:

EVGA NFORCE 680I SLI MB Motherboard
2 Core Duo Extreme 2.93 GHz X6800 4M Cache 1066MHz Processor
4GB DDR22 Low Latency PC-6400 RAM
Seagate 750GB SATA 7200 RPM 8MB Cache HDD
NEC 18X DL DVD+-R/W RAM Recoderder CD/DVD Drive
NVIDIA HD C55-MB Audio
Dual SLI GEFORCE 8800GTX 768MB PCI-E Video
1.5KW PSU
Insulated System Wide Liquid Cooling System +CPU
Windows Vista Ultimate
MS Office 2007 Proffessional

These are all specs off the oringal sales sheet other than the OS that I upgraded from XP to Vista a while back. Thanks for the feedback all, have a good one. Later.

-Elmoreas

D

Deleted User

You'll be fine for a while I think. I mean, optimally, for A/V editing you'd want a quad core because it would speed up the encoding processes (more threads used by the programs), but even then, it really depends which programs are able to make use of multi-cores. In the future, if you want a performance boost (for your current tasks getting a quad core would be a good upgrade.

Your motherboard supports up to 8GB of DDR2, but if you're not multi-tasking all that much 4GB is fine. You've got the best dual-core, (I believe) for your motherboard. In the end it really depends what you're going to use your computer for. For your current usage your fine, as far as gaming goes, I don't think you'll have much trouble for a long while since both your 8800 GTX's and your 2.93 Dual Core are highly overclockable on liquid cooling, running it on stock, is frankly a bit of a waste.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130072 (8800 GTX reviwes)
(Crysis / High 30-33 FPS @ 1680 x 1050) > One of the most demanding games out. (Review is of a SINGLE card, you have TWO)

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, I don't think you'll need an upgrade for quite a while!
tongue.gif

EDIT: Just noticed you said you were on Vista. You'll notice a nice speed boost if you go to Windows 7!
yay.gif

elmoreas

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well by A/V editing I just mean file conversion and compression as well as some ocassional actual pic edititing is Photoshop 3 and vid edititing with Pinnacle Studio 11. The reason I was curious, was that I was thinking of getting back into PC gaming but wasn't sure if my PC could handle modern games. I checked the link given and saw the specs provided and I think I am fine. Thanks for the info guys. I was afraid after 3.5 years and how fast PC's age I would need a new one for sure. Guess I got lucky with this PC. As for more RAM, I could but that type of RAM is really costly and since it is running fine now couldn't I just get a USB memory stick and SpeedBoost it for the short term? Also I would love to upgrade to Windows 7 and I am sure I would get all kinds of benefits but I am on Vista Ultimate and if I went to Win7 right now all I could afford is starter/home.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
elmoreas said:
Well by A/V editing I just mean file conversion and compression as well as some ocassional actual pic edititing is Photoshop 3 and vid edititing with Pinnacle Studio 11. The reason I was curious, was that I was thinking of getting back into PC gaming but wasn't sure if my PC could handle modern games. I checked the link given and saw the specs provided and I think I am fine. Thanks for the info guys. I was afraid after 3.5 years and how fast PC's age I would need a new one for sure. Guess I got lucky with this PC. As for more RAM, I could but that type of RAM is really costly and since it is running fine now couldn't I just get a USB memory stick and SpeedBoost it for the short term? Also I would love to upgrade to Windows 7 and I am sure I would get all kinds of benefits but I am on Vista Ultimate and if I went to Win7 right now all I could afford is starter/home.

Be quite sure you get the 64 BIT edition of Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL.

wink.gif

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
elmoreas said:
My system is 32 bit but thanks for trying to tell me to kill my PC. Your a nice person.

Will would it be killed?

hahaha you made my day...

64 bit offers better bandwith in your whole SO.

I am a nice person, thank you very much

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Actually I second the recommendation for Windows 7 Professional x64 bit. 32 bit Windows can't use more than 3.2GB of RAM, but more importantly for file conversion/compression operations, 64bit processing does run noticeably faster.

As for your system in general, you had very high end parts in those days, so it's just as good as a mid-ranged computer of today, so gaming won't be a problem.

As for SpeedBoost... I used to see a lot of graphs and charts about it, and generally they all said the same thing - there's no performance to be gained by using SpeedBoost (in fact, it may even make framerates drop in some games). I think the whole thing was just a good idea carried out badly and now neglected for the most part in modern computing. Then again, most people don't need more than 4GB (unless they're Graphics students, in which case 6-8GB is highly recommended).

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to weak consoles keeping graphics exactly the same looking as they were 5 years ago, a singles 8800GTX is able to at least play all PC games. Some at medium, but since you're SLI'd, you're probably more than fine. I have a 9800GT (same thing as a 8800GT) and am pretty much good to go on almost all games except Crysis and Anno 1404.

elmoreas

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK The system is not built to handle 64 bit software so if I installed any, it would mess it up, again AFAIK. Sorry about that but it just seemed that you were trying to trick me into installing something that would mess up my PC. I guess you are a nice person and I am a moron, for not knowing that a 32bit system could run 64bit software/os. Thanks for the help. Sorry again.

Elmoreas

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Thoob said:
Yeah, I don't think you'll need an upgrade for quite a while!
tongue.gif

EDIT: Just noticed you said you were on Vista. You'll notice a nice speed boost if you go to Windows 7!
yay.gif

Maybe if he's going from a SP0 vista, Windows 7 is basically a prettier Windows Vista SP2.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The question of 64bit operation usually lies in the processor, not the software. I can't remember when Intel started providing 64bit capabilities in their processors but all Core 2 processors should definitely support it (and usually run slightly better with it). Once you've installed a 64bit OS, you may have to reinstall some of your programs to their 64bit versions, but 64bit Windows can still run programs in 32bit mode, so you're not really losing anything by upgrading.

The "Program Files (x86)" folder is always 5 times bigger than the "Program Files" folder for 64bit programs. At least in my case it is.

EDIT: Also, the reason why I recommend Windows 7 Pro (the Pro bit being key here rather than 7) is because it offers a lot for people who are using the computer for working as opposed to general use/gaming. Vista Pro does offer most of the same tools, but it also cuts back in some of the features offered in Home Premium - something that Windows 7 doesn't. The whole product plan in Windows 7 makes a lot more sense than it did in Vista, where you'd need Ultimate to make sure you're not missing out on anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night